Author Topic: Pay people perks to switch sides?  (Read 634 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Pay people perks to switch sides?
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:56:47 AM »
How about instead of penalizing people who stay on the side with the largest numbers, we try using a 'carrot' approach and offer people perks if they switch.

Say its Sunday night and the the arena population is over 300, and the Rooks have 150 on.   Can you imagine this MOTD popping up for everyone who logs in after the ENY limiter has kicked in:

Message of the Day

The Rooks' population is creating a numbers imbalance which adversely affects arena game play.   Would you consider switching to Knights, for a one-time perk bonus payment of 30 perk points?

YES     NO

If they answer yes, they are automatically switched to Knights and get the perk bonus.    Granted, this idea would be more effective if the perk system was expanded and refined, so there was more incentive to gain and spend perk points.

Offline Purzel

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 07:03:13 AM »
I like the idea. I think I have suggested something similar in this "psycho"-thread.

Better to encourage ppl to switch to the "weaker" side than punish those who dont switch.

Maybe it works...

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:27:15 AM »
The carrot is mightier than the stick!  Good idea, Oboe.

It also might be a good idea to charge a few perks (1-10?) for planes like the:  Bf-109G-10, Fw-190D-9, La-7, P-51D, Typhoon, and maybe even the Spit IX and Yak-9U.  But that's a whole 'nuther post.

MRPLUTO

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:15:02 AM »
What is the big deal about perks? Unless you want to fly a certain few aircraft or drive a Tiger, they are useless.

The 412th has been switching sides on Sunday nights so we can fly the P-51D. Change the way perks are used, and awarding them might hae more meaning.

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:22:30 AM »
Score could work as a carrot too.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 10:27:43 AM »
Why only a few MRPLUTO, if a Spit 14 is worth 45, what realistically is an LA7 or P51 worth?
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 10:47:02 AM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Why only a few MRPLUTO, if a Spit 14 is worth 45, what realistically is an LA7 or P51 worth?

I'd say the La-7 is about 55 or 60 and the P-51D is about 35 or 40 when compared to the capability and price of the Spitfire Mk XIV.

As to the point of the thread, perks are useless and will not motivate anybody to switch sides.   And no, the carrot is not mightier than the stick.  Note that the carrot never had any effect.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »
I'd say the La-7 is about 55 or 60 and the P-51D is about 35 or 40 when compared to the capability and price of the Spitfire Mk XIV.

If thats the case why don't the aircrafts ENV values reflect this?
Using your logic a Spit 14 should have a lower ENV value than a P51, which is not the case.

To quantify -
A Spit 14 real advantage lies at high alt 25k+
Med alt its pushing its luck,
Low alt it's suicide.

Whereas a P-51 is a good performer at all alts.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:07:01 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Fauxbra

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 11:04:04 AM »
A.)  Scrap the ENY thing

#2 Allow full Strat porkage as in AH1

D.) Let the Arena duke it out

if the Arena should get way unbalanced  with 1 side having a major advantage...then the players on 1 of the weaker sides should all switch country to the other weaker team and make it a 2 sided fight for the night and switch back the next day.

Problem Solved
:aok

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 11:12:44 AM »
LOL!   :lol

Lordy, I thought if I suggested that La-7s cost 55 or 60 perks I would become an INSTANT PARIAH, hated by almost the entire AH community.

Anyway, let's not talk about this topic under this thread.  I'll start another post with my ideas on new perk prices.

MRPLUTO

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 12:01:34 PM »
I think the whole concept of perks was an absolutely fantastic idea; a first (as far as I know) for flight sims; which has been practically ignored since it's inception.

Through the years there's been pleas for Squads to be able to distríbute perks; Missions to have an effect on perks (both for and against) and of course the event CM's have also pleaded for a way of including perks more fully in events.

And of course there's been a plethora of good ideas for expounding/developing the perk principle.

They've all (as far as I know) been ignored.

Shame really.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 12:53:22 PM »
Very true, Seeker.    Lots of unrealized potential in that system.

For the carrot approach to work, we need fresh, tasty carrots-- and lots of 'em.  Let's face it, folks, what we've got is a bag of carrots that's been in the bottom of the refrigerator for a year or two.

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 01:26:20 PM »
Here's the Fix.

The winning team gets 20 perks,  
2nd place get -20 perks
The losing team no action.

Now thats competition!  Even the Rooks would work together to prevent losing 20 points just for coming in 2nd.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2004, 04:35:37 PM »
Originally posted by Midnight
What is the big deal about perks? Unless you want to fly a certain few aircraft or drive a Tiger, they are useless.

GIVE THAT MAN A COOKIE!!!:aok

That is precisely why the perk modifier had little affect on odds when it was implemented.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: Pay people perks to switch sides?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 05:25:29 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
How about instead of penalizing people who stay on the side with the largest numbers, we try using a 'carrot' approach and offer people perks if they switch.

Say its Sunday night and the the arena population is over 300, and the Rooks have 150 on.   Can you imagine this MOTD popping up for everyone who logs in after the ENY limiter has kicked in:

Message of the Day

The Rooks' population is creating a numbers imbalance which adversely affects arena game play.   Would you consider switching to Knights, for a one-time perk bonus payment of 30 perk points?

YES     NO

If they answer yes, they are automatically switched to Knights and get the perk bonus.    Granted, this idea would be more effective if the perk system was expanded and refined, so there was more incentive to gain and spend perk points.

Great Idea!

Positive instead of negative!

eskimo