Author Topic: Today's Bugs  (Read 546 times)

Offline Fish323

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bomberbarons.us
Today's Bugs
« on: October 24, 2004, 02:01:02 PM »
3 discos, fighters upping from a fighter disabled field, 2 perfect landings on CV's, 1 did a slingshot off the back after I got reload message, 1 plane came to complete stop, then fell thru carrier deck by deck. Both resulted in loos of kills.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Today's Bugs
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 09:05:37 PM »
One is your fault: If the hook is still down and caught on the wires you will be flung off the back of the carrier if you accelerate.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Today's Bugs
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 09:42:13 AM »
The 'slingshot effect' is a well known bug/feature if you catch the first wire.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Re: Today's Bugs
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 11:07:16 AM »
Originally posted by Fish323
fighters upping from a fighter disabled field, 2 perfect landings on CV's, ...1 plane came to complete stop, then fell thru carrier deck by deck. Both resulted in loos of kills.

These are worthless bug reports without the field and carrier numbers. How do you expect HTC to track down a bug on Ozkansas without the field/carrier number?

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Today's Bugs
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 01:15:16 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
The 'slingshot effect' is a well known bug/feature if you catch the first wire.

It's not just the first wire, it's any wire and happens if you have your throttle open when you catch the wire.  If the throttle is open, the wheel brakes are off, and that allows the aircraft to catapult off.  If you chop the throttle to zero before you catch the wire you are fine, if you fly into the wire with the throttle still open, well, off the back you go.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Today's Bugs
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
It's not just the first wire, it's any wire and happens if you have your throttle open when you catch the wire.  If the throttle is open, the wheel brakes are off, and that allows the aircraft to catapult off.  If you chop the throttle to zero before you catch the wire you are fine, if you fly into the wire with the throttle still open, well, off the back you go.
Actually you shouldn't chop throttle until you're sure you caught a wire. Otherwise you may find yourself going off the front of the carrier without enough power to take off again. The cables act as an arrestor and shouldn't pull the aircraft backwards at all. They should simply stop the plane with little to no backward movement. Even with full throttle.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Fish323

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bomberbarons.us
Today's Bugs
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 03:49:58 PM »
NHawk is correct, if we want to stick to the "historically accurate" airplanes went full throttle as they caught the wire so that if they missed they still have the E for a touch and go. Regardless, my throttle was off and my brakes on, as they always are on a CV landing. There was at least a second pause before my seafire catapulted backwards and no acceleration curve, it was more like someone hit the rewind button, from 0-dead in a second flat.
  Anyway is this something that can be fixed? Capture wires were not made from rubber, the tension on them was released after the plane stopped, causing them to roll backwards a few feet or a yard, not a quarter of a football field.
  While we are on the subject, how is it that I can shoot an LA-7 from the sky over an enemy field (over 200mph) at about 50ft alt and he will land in pieces, tumble accross the tarmac leaving only a fuselage and get a ditch? Yet when I slingshot off a CV after a full stop and land in the water, something that pilots survived in WW2, I get a death? Seem a little out of proportion?
  Have at it lemmings....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 03:58:00 PM by Fish323 »

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Today's Bugs
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 05:49:50 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Actually you shouldn't chop throttle until you're sure you caught a wire. Otherwise you may find yourself going off the front of the carrier without enough power to take off again. The cables act as an arrestor and shouldn't pull the aircraft backwards at all. They should simply stop the plane with little to no backward movement. Even with full throttle.

Just telling you how to avoid it, chop your throttle before you catch a wire.  Yes, it's a bug, it's been around a while, but it's so easy to avoid that I haven't had it happen to me in years.  the only time it might catch me now is if I tried to taxi with my hook still down (don't do that, same effect, zip, off the back you go).

You have to remember we aren't talking angled decks here either, or catapult launched aircraft.  It is pretty easy to maintain a nice speed even on landing and wave-off/go around if you don't get the landing quite correct.  Straight through decks tended to have issues with other aircraft in front, elevators in the middle of the deck, etc... go arounds were an issue to avoid those.