Author Topic: Could we get some kind of seat height ajustment when using TrackIR?  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Last friday i got my TrackIR and i really enjoy it.

But i find the up/down movement a very unnatural move, because basicly who can ajust his "eye level" by stretching or crouching his spine?

So would it be possible to get some kind of seat height ajustment for the TrackIR reference point? Basicly a function of changing the level from which the TrackIR will do it's look around.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
Re: Could we get some kind of seat height ajustment when using TrackIR?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 08:03:01 AM »
Originally posted by Naudet
Last friday i got my TrackIR and i really enjoy it.

But i find the up/down movement a very unnatural move, because basicly who can ajust his "eye level" by stretching or crouching his spine?

So would it be possible to get some kind of seat height ajustment for the TrackIR reference point? Basicly a function of changing the level from which the TrackIR will do it's look around.

that would be good

Naudet - you can fudge it  by crouching down a little when you centre it. But it's kind of a pain - when you have to centre on the fly.
I come from a land downunder

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Could we get some kind of seat height ajustment when using TrackIR?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 01:37:15 PM »
Naudet - you can fudge it by crouching down a little when you centre it. But it's kind of a pain - when you have to centre on the fly.

Guess what i do atm and guess why i want an other possibility to ajust it. :D

Offline LeadDog

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 07:41:02 AM »
I agree I totally love the TrackIR but the up down is a pain.  The only other thing I want is improved 6 View.  It just takes too long to turn, lean, look then turn back and readjust to guns.

I would just like a preset 6 view I could use with my joystick hat while still using TrackIR.  Then check 6 would be faster.  And yes I know I can still use the joystick hat view and I do but you can NOT preset views once you have TrackIR so my 6 view is always solidly in the middle of a big seat.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 08:19:19 AM »
Originally posted by LeadDog
I agree I totally love the TrackIR but the up down is a pain.  The only other thing I want is improved 6 View.  It just takes too long to turn, lean, look then turn back and readjust to guns.

I would just like a preset 6 view I could use with my joystick hat while still using TrackIR.  Then check 6 would be faster.  And yes I know I can still use the joystick hat view and I do but you can NOT preset views once you have TrackIR so my 6 view is always solidly in the middle of a big seat.

cc  6 view with trackir it is way worse - I fly blue planes a bit - and it's terrible

It would be nice if you could get it to default to your saved views somehow
I come from a land downunder

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 08:48:11 AM »
Good idea Naudet.

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 10:53:27 AM »
When using my tir1 it does use my preset views. If I look back in a f4u for example, the view snaps to where I set the view with f10, to the left of the seat.

To set them I used the view keys (on the numpad) moved the view with the tir and then hit f10. So now when looking around the camera snaps to the position I set it in as I look around.

It might not work if you have the 6dof addon, I can't say.

I would like a way to adjust the forward view up, I was trying to set it last night and it didn't work. I can set the 2nd forward view, but not the standard one.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2005, 02:42:11 AM »
I agree I totally love the TrackIR but the up down is a pain. The only other thing I want is improved 6 View. It just takes too long to turn, lean, look then turn back and readjust to guns.

Weird, i find it interestingly easy and quick to check 6 and return to gun view.
Though it took a while to get use to head turning when a boggie moved from 5 oc to 7oc. In the first couple of hours i always tried to turn my head more than 180°, but now i am use to a quick view change to the other side.

But the ajustable seat height would also help with a better 6 view, as in most planes any set 6 view will likely be achieved by moving the head position fully up and left/right.
With TrackIR it's quit easy to lean fully left/right, but again it's hard to elevate the view, which will than result in a somewhat blocked 6 view.

I would like a way to adjust the forward view up, I was trying to set it last night and it didn't work.

I noticed that with the default key settings you cannot save certain head positions, i experimented a bit and put the "save head pos" command on the "x" key. After that change i could save any head positions.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 02:44:47 AM by Naudet »

Offline SkyGnome

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2005, 07:23:39 PM »
Having a settable head position would be great.  I also find I like my head all the way back against the headrest when looking forward, but all the way forward against the glass when looking out a side window.  This is a very easy thing to do IRL, but very hard with trackir, and also this makes the "zero the trackir with your head down" trick not work.

What might be cool is to have the default head position programable for each aircraft, and also have any axis not enabled in the trackir program to use the apropriate axis from the saved views.

As it is right now, even after quite a bit of dilligent practice and tweaking, the 6DOF has worse overall visibility and is much less deadly for me than 2D.