Author Topic: Collisions messed up  (Read 564 times)

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
Collisions messed up
« on: April 07, 2005, 01:26:50 AM »
I've had two head-on collisions this week. The first was an engine to engine collision. I was killed instantly, my opponent flew away with no damage according to my squadmates. The second happened tonight. I was in a P-38 vs F6. I was in a straight 35 degree angle and he was is a slight opposing angle downward. The F6 actually went just below my cockpit. My twin boom section ripped off. The F6 kept flying and fighting only smoking slightly. Unless collisions are going to be fair and realistic with both planes recieving fatal blows, they should be turned off. It would solve all the arguements about who hit who first and who was intentional. I have never collided with another plane and not recieved extensive damage.
T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Collisions messed up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 01:40:10 AM »
Right from the man.

Originally posted by HiTech
Collision are detection on 1 FE because it the best option availible.

It is hard to grasp but there realy is not 1 reality when playing AH, each person is seeing the same thing, but at different times.

But when you put 2 moving objects on different FE's. Realitive to each other, people are seeing different things.

So you end up with 4 choices when doing anytype of collision detection between 2 different clients. (Collision detection is also bullet collisions)

With bullets.
1. The target does the detection.
2. The shooter does the detection
3. They both do detection and if they agree a collison happens.
4. They both do detection and if either sees a collsion the hit happens.

With bullets the most importent thing is that when you see your bullets hit a plane, the bullet does damage. With any but option #1 & 4 this would not be the case.Infact. you would have to shoot where the plane isn't to score hits, and you would never know where the spot to shoot would be, and it would also change with each players connection.

With plane collsion, There primary puprose is to prevent people from holding down the triger and flying threw another plane.

Now as you see your plane collide with the player, the other player is seeing you miss him most of the time.(If both FE detect a collison both are damaged) So would you wrather be flying your plane and have an eneymy plane dive 100 yards behind you, and sundenly get destroyed by a collision, or would you wrather have it work as it does now.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 02:46:22 AM »
Just avoid the collision. If you see the collision you get damage, when the other one does not see a collision he does not get damage.

That might sound unreal to you but it is the only way it can work in online flying, otherwise you would get damage from enemys that pass nearby. Where nearby can be more than 100m.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Collisions messed up
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 12:37:23 PM »
Exactly correct.

Offline viking73

• Nickel Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I knew HTC had and answer somewhere around.
T2Maw
80th FS {OM-KNIGHTS} Kommando Nowotny {FSO}/{CCS}
S.A.P.P.
Air Warrior 1996, Aces High 2000
Skin Designer

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »
Just don't H.O :P

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 10:14:35 AM »
on a semi related note, I actually won a ram about a month ago, it was the coolest thing ever.  I'm looking back and about d100 the bad guys wing falls off.

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
Collisions messed up
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 12:58:21 PM »
Guys to me if a collision happens then both planes should crash. I have seen when a collision has happened one plane crash to earth and the other flies around like nothing happened

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:01 PM »
That's because on the other guy's client, he never hit you. It would be extremely frustrating if I magically died when on my screen I was nowhere close to colliding.

The odd thing is, a year or so back I destroyed three lanc formations in an la5 by flying through their wings. If collision is detected by my client I should have died. Course, I think this was AH1.

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
Collisions messed up
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 01:29:01 PM »
The problem with that is, as far as one of the planes is concerned, the collision did not happen .No 2 planes in the arena see the exact same thing, that's a technological limitation.  It's an imperfect world, and until we're all running 50bazillion terahertz pcs on 90billion GBps uberfiber 5000 connections, it will remain imperfect.