Author Topic: Americans do not want juicy hamburgers!  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Americans do not want juicy hamburgers!
« on: August 22, 2005, 04:27:53 PM »
Big Juicy burgers are not the American way?

NYC Tells Restaurants to Hold The Fat

In the wake of successfully pushing through a smoking ban in restaurants and bars, the New York City Department of Health has moved on to a new crusade, this one against unhealthy eating. On August 10, 2005 the health department asked New York City restaurants to stop serving food that contained trans fats, reported by the New York Times.

The health department has started an education campaign to educate restaurant owners and the public about the dangers of trans fats. The impetus behind this latest "government-knows-best" initiative is the high rate of heart disease in the city. As part of the educational campaign, the city's health commissioner, Dr. Thomas R. Frieden sent out a letter that stated: "Consumers want healthier choices when eating out. Our campaign will increase consumer demand for meals without trans fats." City health officials have taken upon themselves to make sure people are eating healthy when they dine out.

What could be construed as preparation for their campaign against trans fats, city health inspectors conducted a survey of New York City restaurants and found between 30 and 60 percent use trans fats in their cooking, as reported in the New York Times.

This raises an important, and perhaps an overlooked, question: Why is the city health department investigating which ingredients restaurant cooks use? The city health department is directed to make inspections of eating establishments and food suppliers; making sure satisfactory sanitary practices are followed, such as the preparation and storage of foods. This additional survey performed by city health inspectors is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

Dr. Frieden stated in a New York Times article that his department plans another survey of the city's restaurants to gauge on how well the campaign is going. They will look to see if additional steps are warranted. It remains to be seen if the city's campaign against trans fats will remain voluntary if it meets with a lukewarm response in the coming months. The fact the health department is performing another survey could be interpreted that it would consider passing mandatory regulations if they find compliance not up to their standards.

The city health commissioner has tried to lower citizens' fears by claiming his department does not want to ban trans fats outright. Yet the city agency has compared the dangers of trans fats with asbestos and lead, "materials that at one point the public believed were safe but now are known to be dangerous." Comparing a former paint additive that can cause permanent brain damage to a food ingredient derived from vegetable oil that can contribute to heart disease is misleading. City health officials making hyperbolic statements like these are simply trying to scare the public.

In their zealous quest to get citizens to live healthier lives, the New York City health department has not taken into account the cost to restaurants in removing trans fats from the menu. With establishments like donut shops and bakeries, trans fats is a main ingredient. Finding a healthier alternative to trans fats could come at an additional cost to restaurants.

In some instances customers patronize a restaurant for the simple reason that it does not sell healthy foods. Les Halles in downtown serves French fries that contain trans fats, which had the manager Jack Cameron commenting: "This restaurant is a place to go and splurge, and you're not concerned about health issues," as reported in a Los Angeles Times article. A pastry chef at Amy's Bread remarked, "Each individual should make up their own mind about what they do and do not want to eat."

This is an attempt at back-door regulation on the part of the New York City Department of Health. New Yorkers should stop the growth of government power upon their lives and tell the New York City Department of Health to stop interfering with their personal choices.

http://www.lp.org/yourturn/archives/000074.shtml
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 05:07:01 PM »
In honor of them damned yankees, I'm having a ground sirloin 3/4 pounder with a slab of cheese and jalapenos on top.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:11:30 PM »
Well Im glad that the huge money pit of NY is using our money (the other side of the state) so well. :rolleyes:
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
See now I always had this fantasy of opening a restaurant and naming it something like "The Heart Stopper Cafe"

And advertising the fact that none of my food was heart healthy but it was guarenteed to taste great.
Upon being seated at the establishment each customer would be handed a disclaimer form and waiver to be signed warning that this food would not be good for people with heart disease, high blood pressure or people with a family history of obesity.

Nothing on the menue would be fat or colesterol free

Our Motto.  would be something "Heartstoppers Cafe, Great tasting food for people who want to live. But not forever"

Or

"Heart Stopper Cafe Great tasting unhealthy food for people who just dont care"

I'd still be willing to bet it would be a smash hit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 06:02:41 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 06:01:39 PM »
Getting back on topic.

Would this be something along the lines of

"When they outlaw fat. Only fat people will be outlaws"?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 06:13:21 PM »
DREDIOCK

We've a great nickname  for those kinds of cafes over here. Its been around years and describes em perfectly. We call em greasy joes or greasy spoons. And they are the best place to get colesterol fueled breakfasts bar none. Infact I'm pretty sure we inherited the name from your side of the pond!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 06:31:09 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
DREDIOCK

We've a great nickname  for those kinds of cafes over here. Its been around years and describes em perfectly. We call em greasy joes or greasy spoons. And they are the best place to get colesterol fueled breakfasts bar none. Infact I'm pretty sure we inherited the name from your side of the pond!

Oh hell yea. Greasy spoons. Absolutely.
Specially here in Joisey which is the Diner captiol of the country.

but you see the difference in my idea is to actually proudly advertise the fact that it is unhealthy food. Good food. just not healthy.

We had one place that made a slight jab at it called "Greasy Tonys" they made the best damn steak sanwiches anywhere. They had a big sign on the wall that said "No charge for extra grease" The Place was HUGELY poplular amongst the locals and Rutgers College crowd or anyone else that happened to know about it.

Its gone now and the new fad is the "grease trucks" But its just not the same.

See what I want to do is expand on that idea and actually say. "Hey. eat enough of this and you could have a heart attack"

Tell em loud and clear this stuff isnt good for ya. Right up front
Bet they come to the door in droves anyway
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 06:39:54 PM »

These guys made studmuffins ( sorry cigarettes ) with the same idea!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 06:41:57 PM »
How well did they sell?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 06:42:44 PM »
Urm not too well. Sorry to scupper that idea mate!

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
How well did they sell?

You can find Black Death Cigarettes in smoke shops all over the place, and the occasional hole in the wall gas station. Kinda tasted like they were rolled with dirt though.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 06:50:57 PM »
Originally posted by indy007
Kinda tasted like they were rolled with dirt though.

ahh well therin lies the difference.

My food would be bad for ya. But would taste GREAT.

C'mon. how much stuff do we eat that we know isnt really that good for ya but we eat it anyway cause we like it so much?
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 06:53:01 PM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Urm not too well. Sorry to scupper that idea mate!

Hey. That idea has already been scuppered.
Not because it wouldnt work but by my bank account. LOL
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 07:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
how much stuff do we eat that we know isnt really that good for ya but we eat it anyway cause we like it so much?

Mmm... all of it? I don't gain weight though.

We have a greasy spoon right around the corner from us. I love it. You can practically feel the sausage & cheese omlet lubricating your stomach... but not much is tastier unless you cook it yourself.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 09:02:38 PM »
As an example, how may 'healthy food' restaurants can you name?  The 'junk food' restaurants know the greasy, fatty, red meat burgers are what sells. How about that oven fired, cheese and peperonni hand tossed large pizza! Yum!  If I want to eat rabbit food, its readily available at the salad bar!  No revelation, but then again, common sense is not so common.

Regards,

Malta

Btw, some of the 'better' tasting cigarettes I have smoked were Marlboro.  Even when the 'Marlboro Man emphasema' was shown, the cigarettes (to this day based on memory) tasted the best.  I am not so sure Sir Walter Raleigh served the English so well by bringing back tobacco from the 'colonies'.