Author Topic: Aces High uses a flip a coin method for collison  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Revor

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Aces High uses a flip a coin method for collison
« on: February 16, 2006, 06:29:03 AM »
Flip a coin

Heads I win the collison and get the kill, tails I crash and give the other guy the kill. This really frustrates me. I'm in a c205 and as I am bnz'ing on a guy I am ripping him up with my bullets he hits my wing and I go crashing down as he literally floats down just enough to get a kill off of me. I'm just really infuriated on the method they use with collisions. What's even more upsetting is that you hvae these new guys whom whenever you are outnumbered and they try to bnz you at the same time and ram you and when they get the kill they have the nerve to you. That right there is an insult and is enough to make me want to buy a plane ticket to their house and bash their head through the monitor.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:08:31 AM »
You where the one BnZin in this instance. He's low and slow, you have the ability to avoid and he doesn't. Next time, be more careful and you won't have to worry about the coin flip. And a big for the threatening of bodily harm over a game.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Ohio43

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 07:17:44 AM »
You dont happen to be the kid that was in that video, refered to in another thread  (The one that punched a hole in the wall over a game?)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:22:02 AM »
Maybe one of these threads will help you understand why it works the way it does.

This one.
Maybe this one.
This covers a lot of ground.

A lot of reading about this very topic.  I think it is pretty thoroughly explained on how and why it works the way it does.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 07:35:55 AM »
i know that it has been explained skuzz, but if possible, it would make it so much better if both planes take damage in the collision

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 07:48:18 AM »
If you read the threads, you'll understand why the "both planes" solution is a BAD idea.

Short answer is that when you collide with me on your computer's front end, I might be 50 yards away on my front end due to delays built in to the internet.

With the both planes solution, I would take damamge when i did absolutely nothing wrong, never even came close to you. The whines would be incredible (even by 200 standards), and there would be a very good reason to complain.

The current system is by far the best. The only way the "both planes" idea would work is if we get everybody in one room on a big private LAN.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 07:52:46 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 07:56:04 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
If you read the threads, you'll understand why the "both planes" solution is a BAD idea.

Short answer is that when you collide with me on your computer's front end, I might be 50 yards away on my front end due to delays built in to the internet.

With the both planes solution, I would take damamge when i did absolutely nothing wrong, never even came close to you. The whines would be incredible (even by 200 standards), and there woul dbe a very good reason to complain.

The current system is by far the best. The only way the "both planes" idea would work is if we get everybody in one room on a big private LAN.

yeah, and i was thinking of all that before i even posted. it just angers me that players on dialup get 100's of kills on me per tour just because i pay for a faster connection. drives me nuts sometimes. i've collided with people at 400 yrds before now, just on their 6 then i die, and i had perfect net stats with a ping of about 65. drives me bloody bonkers, and i just dont see why i should always lose the collision, especially when dweeb hotard come right at you, you dive to get out the way, and so they dive, and ram you. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

i know it probably wont see a change, but the increasing no. of rams is really putting me, and many other people i know, off the game

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 08:03:35 AM »
Collisions do NOT depend on connection speed.

Think about real combat...the attacker doesnt know what the target is going to do, and realizes that he may do something stupid. The attacker gives the target leeway, considering all the places he COULD be when the attacker passes.

If you do the same thing, YOU WILL NOT COLLIDE. And, they will not collide with YOU.

It doesnt matter what your ping is. If you dont want to collide, do not get too close -- and you wont collide, regardless.

I have cable, faster than DSL. I collide maybe once evey other tour -- and when I collide, I know it was my fault because I cut the margin too close or had the "ears pinned back and hair on fire" target obsession.

Pretend this is your only plane, and you dont want to die (at least when it comes to collisions). The "problem" will go away, really.

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:14:02 AM »
if i have a different connection speed to someoen else, their plane will appear in a different place than it does on my screen. in some cases the difference is SO big that i have collided with them 400 yrds away. im not saying it happens all the time, just a  couple that are that bad, but still. and i know that for me to collide and take damage i should of actually hit him on my end, but i didnt

on his end, i collided with him, and not on mine, and i STILL took damage, and he goes on with nothing. thats why people are getting so angry with it, maybe you havent had anything like this happen yet. it is driving me insane

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
if i had £10 for everytime simaril has explained the ram model to someone......
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »
well to me it seems like the people who try to explain it haven't seen the bugs in it. simaril is very wise, but i dont know whether you guys have seen it at these extremes or not. all im saying is that, at times, it does the damage to the wrong person, and it is spoiling the game for some people

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 09:19:24 AM »
if you log on expecting HOs/Rams/vulching/cherrypicking/hording/lameness to be a feature, the game will excede your expectations within 10 mins.

if you log on with the same child-like glee as the first time you played, you will enjoy yourself.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
meh, i guess, but why would i want to pay money to expect rams and hos?

MA has lost all the fun factor for me, landgrabbing, war winning, and all the hoing stuff. i just fly in the AvA most of the time now, because im so tired of the MA attitude. i cant wait till ToD, i just dont know if its going to come before i lose all interest :(. the thing is, i love this game, and the community, and all the friendships i have made, but well...

i dunno, i guess i've just been having a stale period. but ToD will be a breath of fresh air for me

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 09:28:02 AM »
Pooface, the thing to remember is that the entire game takes place on YOUR COMPUTER, not on the server.

Thnk about your separation in terms of TIME, not DISTANCE. With 2 planes travelling 300mph merging, every second the closure is over 800 feet. If your computer sits 0.5- 1 sec away from the server (that sends you updates), thats how much variation you can expect from your PC's view alone. If your netstauts fluctuates, falling behind a little then whizzing to catch up, you can see warps of more than that easily.

I hear you say 400 yards, but I bet its 1) rare and 2) less than that if you took a filmed snapshot instead of checking the icon in real time.

Try this, Poo -- think of driving defensively, being aware of other cars and preparing for what they COULD do. Apply that thinking toi the MA for a tour. I'd bet you'll see "AH2's" collision problem disappear.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:54:29 AM by Simaril »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 09:29:49 AM »
on his end, i collided with him, and not on mine, and i STILL took damage,

No way no how, it is not posible. That is not how the system works, so if you took damage somthing else happen to you.

In fact the change you ask for would do just what you are stating you dislike.

HiTech