Author Topic: The Sub Conundrum  (Read 1786 times)

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« on: February 28, 2006, 04:48:07 PM »
Oh yes it would be nice to have subs, subs subs subs. Have you ever stopped to think how Aces High and the Ma in particular would change cause of this. Yes it would be for the best. Heres my theory. Subs, yeah, we need em, and we wouldnt just have 1, no we could have German type VII's, II's, IX's, and a perk sub, like the type 21 german miracle sub o-doom. Yes subs would be friggin sweet. The subs need a port though. Maybe, a sub and cruiser port. Oh god, i forgot about the cruisers. Yes subs need enemies. Maybe a flower corvette. These cruisers would need ASDIC of course. Of course there are some people who cant resist vulchin, they could call it sub-vulching. For these bastiches who hide in the enemy port, we would have mine layer ships. Is this long, sorry, i'm almost done. The subs would need something to hit, like merchant ships. People could use merchant ships full o troops to take bases. This would be a cool target for the subs. Also, we would now need seaplanes to find and destroy these subs. Thats about all I can think of right now. Maybe that jap sub that could carry planes too. Fun stuff.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:09:02 PM »
:lol

We need water first, but more maritime targets would be interesting, if not necessarily great for the MA, and would open allow, I think, a much wider array of Special Events, and potentially also fill roles in CT.

This, of course, would also be a good rationale for some of the more interesting attack planes that were used in an anti-shipping role.

Nice job working all that stuff in masked as a sub request. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »
And then we call it Aces of the Deep ... :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »
Subs have been requested  a lot:rolleyes:

Offline dizman

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
I'm just statin what is nescessary for having subs.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:15:19 PM »
We already have subs, you didn't know?
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 01:03:13 AM »
I don't think the cable-pullers vanishing beneath the ground count, SD. :D

Hope you've got a good lawyer there, Lusche. Dyna...er...wait, yeah, that's right, they're gone. Sier...oh. Well, I guess there's no real worries about a copyright infringement lawsuit when the corporate entity in question no longer exists. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 03:23:12 AM »
There was a serious proposal a while back for wolf packs - to be handled like fleets are at the moment. The problem with subs is their speed - they are so slow, so you have to set their course and leave them alone for a while.

Having said that, subs, convoys, destroyers etc. would be real cool. It wouldn't be Aces of the Deep - but rather Aces Everywhere
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »
Great post Dizman :lol  HTC can't get around it now!

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 04:31:46 AM »
Man..can u imagine U-boat battles in the DA?

:aok
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
Hit enter 3 times and drown man! - lol
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline david506th

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 10:04:49 AM »
Maybe you could do subs like this:

Submarines would be perked and can only lauch from a port.  They would be faster on the surface and would be slower underwater (just like real life).  To provide for the idea that subs wont be able to vulch all day long limit their underwater time.  Just as a real sub in WWII can stay underwater forever they must come up to recharge their batteries.  Have a ratio of 3:1 for surface to underwater time.  Their topedeos would also be limited say 8 with two forward tubes.  The reload time would be like that of a T34.  So they arent sitting ducks on the surface give them maybe two 50cals and a 20mm or maybe a 40mm if you are nice.  

To compliment this new found fighting unit you would have to make defences.  The destroyers that orbit the CV should be coded to lauch depth charges or hedge hoggs when a submarine enters it protective ring similar to how it does with its ACK.  B24s should be given 500lb depth charges but only able to lauch in a single 24.  As well ports enemy ports should have sub-net that prevents subs from getting right off the ports.  Also when submerged a sub as in real life would be able to be spotted easily from air by its shadow.  If you wanted though I wouldnt suggest it, make a small frigate available for player port lauch and independent use, that had sonar and underwater sound equipment as well as one forward and aft 5in.  It would also carry AA.  As well it would hold up to CV AA fire and only CV big guns, aircraft or subs would do it damage.

David506th

Offline HARR

• Zinc Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 01:06:48 PM »
HARR! DAS PIRATEBOOT!

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
The Sub Conundrum
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 02:20:21 PM »
Ok, HARRR is German, another clue to solving this mistery

Offline SuperDud