Author Topic: KI-67 skins?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
KI-67 skins?
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:31:17 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had the time or felt like doing this?

This is a pic of Lt. Shuho Kuritas' KI-67 the White Tiger , Imperial Japanese Army Air Force 1941-45

I don't know the exact colors as I can't find many color photos but if anyone has some good books?? I would assume it's a similar color to the one we have in game but I have seen a few pic's here and there of them done in dark green paint.  

I just thought it might be good to have a historic skin with some actual art on it even if it's not much.

Also I was wondering if the KI-67 evar had an orange skin like the G4M2 Betty did?  I think it would be fun to fly around in my bright orange target drones :D

Anyway just a thought/request for anyone who might be intrested. I would do it myself but after a few attempts I found that skinning was not my thing. :)
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Old Thread, New Request
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »
Yo Skinners one and all!

Lately I have gotten into flying the "Peggy" for some of my buff sorties.  The default skin is great but as they say 'variety is the spice of life!' and I would like to add my voice to those that would like to see a second skin for the KI-67.

I found this link http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/axis/j/ki67.htm that has a nice rendition of a KI that I thought would be nice addition.

This KI-67 appears to have a white tail and would be very nice to have but I have been unable to find any other references or detailed paint scheme to help you all out.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 01:51:11 PM »
I started on a Ki67 awhile back. I stoped because its 256x and I didnt know how the panel lines and rivets were. I am pretty much done with my skins, and have about three that buddies want me to do. If you find me some nice high res pics of panel lines and rivets Ill do a few of them like I did with the Ar234.:aok
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Does this help Larry
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »
No rivet info but the panel lines are there.  I would use whatever the Default level of detail is short of I (or someone else) finding more detailed info.  Of course I'll keep looking!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:53:35 PM »
Yes. All I need is panel lines I can "wing" the rivets if you cant find anything. Will try to start out as soon as I can. I do about 3-5 skins all at once so give me about 5-7days and Ill start with the pics.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
Well from one Larry...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
to another Larry, all I can say is "Woo Hoo!"

You make 'em I'll fly 'em!

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 04:57:59 AM »
Heres a preview. There are no "effects" on the lines or rivets yet, just showing you how its ganna look like. I jsut started on the rivets on the wings so thats why they are only on half it. Once I finnish everything Im thinking of doing three mabey four if we can get some different shemes. As I said before Im working on a few skins right now, so one day I work on one another day I do a different one. Reason I do this is because I found that if I work one one alot I dont realize I made a mistake. That way the first time I open it in a few days I notice things that I didnt when I was working on it last time.:aok

Flayed Post some pics of the one you want.

Heres the one Im ganna do for myself.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/1030/65/1/1

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 05:11:17 AM by Larry »
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 05:57:18 AM »
Heres another I would like to do.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/1030/65/0/10
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 08:15:06 AM »
Well Larry as a fellow substandard skinner :rolleyes:, I would like to thank you for helping add needed additional skins on a much used aircraft! :aok
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
Yea I like building skins that no one else wants to do. Its ganna be a challange because some parts overlap as it is with most really old planes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:32:54 AM by Larry »
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Hwkeye

• Copper Member
The Cami version is phat!
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 07:22:57 PM »
:cool:

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 01:55:40 PM »
Rivets and panel lines are done on the top wings, top Hstab, Vstab and body. I just need the bottem wing and bottem Hstab and I can start work on the painting. Heres a pic of what it looks like with the effects. (I put a gray back ground so you can see it easier.

Edit: I didnt want to put to much rivets or it would be to cluttered.

JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
I'd seriously find a real source that shows camouflage before doing that other profile.

scn.ru steals their images from everywhere, including unreliable sources. They can be downright inaccurate or misleading, or just off on all colors.

I looked for Ki67 skins a long long time ago, and there were none that weren't 99% identical to the default. That includes the "tiger" skin -- the tiger being about 10 pixels long on the bitmap itself, the rest being unchanged (wasn't worth doing).

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 02:24:28 PM »
Heres what they have.

Ki-67 Prototype
Unit: Rikugun Koku Shinsa-bu (Army Aviation Experimental Department)
Serial: 2
Ki-67 Prototype No.2 at Kagamigahara Army Air Base, Gifu Prefecture, February 1943.

Artist: © Rikyu Watanabe
Source: 'Army type 4 Heavy Bomber Hiryu (Ki-67 Peggy)', Famous Airplanes of the World No.98, Bunrindo Co.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
KI-67 skins?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »
Well, even if there's some basis behind it, prototypes rarely saw action. I saw a LOT of WW2 pictures when I was searching. All were a single solid color. Just like what we have.

I don't mean to put a damper on things, but it's like doing a post-war racer skin on a spit. Or a captured skin on a 190d. It's just not the same.