Author Topic: u-boats!  (Read 720 times)

Offline SVIGGEN

• Zinc Member
u-boats!
« on: September 16, 2006, 05:49:40 PM »
why not add submarines, to make it seem as if AH was Silent Hunter III and Il2 Forgotten Battles combined? That would be interesting.

Offline Billy Joe Bob

• Nickel Member
u-boats!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 07:00:42 PM »
*throws flame retardent mat over you and runs*

it would be cool and all but u boats arew WAAYY off if not ever going to be added.

remember to duck when the flaming starts :aok

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
u-boats!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:16:09 PM »
i think they would be cool!!!   :aok

Offline skysnipr

• Zinc Member
u-boats!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
I think there is a bunch of other stuff they need to put in before they add subs.

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
u-boats!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »
i would rather add playable ships   they would be way more useful then subs

although both would even better
known as Arctic in the main

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
u-boats!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 10:50:18 PM »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline mQuinn

• Zinc Member
u-boats!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:08:24 AM »
I would also really like to see U-Boats added to the game.  

I have tried in the past to search the forums for information about U-Boats and their possible addition.  I keep getting threads like the ones I see when I clicked on your link, OOZ662.

I.E.  Mexican Fishermen Survive NINE MONTHS Adrift at Sea!

I would like to see a definitive thread on this if there is one.  :)

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
u-boats!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »
It would be cool, but HTC would have to give the water some depth first.  Would be nice though when you ditch to not feel like you're landing on dirt.

Maybe a little motion of the ocean on the CV deck?
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline HGCeech

• Zinc Member
U-Boats
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 01:44:20 PM »
Yes U-Boats would add a different aspect to the game,i would love for this to happen,Then they can add PBys for sub hunting.Also i would like to see B29s in the late war..:aok

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
From an interview with Dale...
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 02:15:37 PM »
This is an excerpt of an interview I conducted with HiTech at the AH con a couple of years ago.  It was published on line at "The Wargamer".

SABRE: You mentioned the naval element earlier, and going along with that, the ground combat elements.  It’s an air combat sim, but what kind of future expansions and additions are you planning for the naval and ground warfare elements of Aces High?

HITECH: Naval aspects?  The biggest change I will be doing will be submarines in the next year.

SABRE: Wow! That is exciting!

HITECH: Submarines will basically use a fleet-type positioning system with the ability that, when the fleet of submarines, the wolfpack or whatever arrives [at the waypoint], you’ll be able to do the detailed control of it.  You’ll get to aim the torpedo.  You get to do all the fun stuff on the submarine; but the fact of the matter is, for a submarine to travel thirty miles at night is an immense amount of time.  Nobody wants to spend that amount of time controlling a submarine.  So what you’ll do is you’ll set down a waypoint [on the map] for the submarines, to get them into position to intercept a fleet, where you think they’re coming in.  As they come into range, suddenly you get to jump into the simulation, the detailed fun part of the submarine element.  That’s how the submarines will work.

On ground warfare, what I envision at some point is a first-person shooter run as a secondary item to base capture.  What I’m sort of envisioning in the end is something that would run along the lines of a C-47 dropping a spawn point at the [enemy base’s] map room.  The map room now is expanded to a full, underground bunker-warfare, first-person shooter.  The defender always gets to spawn in the bunker.  The attackers, now for the next thirty minutes, they can spawn people in the bunker, and there’s this big, first-person shooter war happening underground to do an actual [base] capture.

SABRE: So your going to take it basically all the way down to the individual with a rifle and some hand grenades?

HITECH: Absolutely!  What I’ve figured out is, there are four aspects to combat.  You’ve got fighter planes, you’ve got ground vehicles, you’ve got bombers, and you have infantry.  None of the four people, none of the four aspects want to go fight each other.  Vehicles want to fight with vehicles; bombers want to go bomb stuff; fighters don’t want to mess with bombers; bombers don’t want to mess with fighters; and infantry don’t want to mess with anybody…they just want to go fight the other infantry.  What you do is provide a mechanism in the game that makes that happen.

Note that since this was back in 2001 as I recall, Dale had subs down as the "next big thing."  That was obviously before he happened upon the TOD concept, which usurped subs as the next priority on the dev schedule.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."