Author Topic: another session of "small but fun" stuff..  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
another session of "small but fun" stuff..
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:16:13 AM »
How's about another session of "small but fun and immersive requests"?

Remember friends, "God is in the details"! Often the smallest, minute details added to the game, can result in much greater immersion than any large/big change. For example;

* engine start smoke
* wheels throwing off dust when taxiing and taking off, landing
* oil marks when oil can blown
* blood splatter when injured
* new explosion/tank shell impact graphics

... these are all recent additions to the game. Involves no major FM/DM component change, a mere graphical addition, and yet, makes the game much more believable.

So.. here are some of my requests.

GRAPHICS

* cockpit open/close: Long time favoite request for many 'useless but fun stuff' enthusiasts

* punctured fuel tanks going dry: ...after all fuel spent... infinite fuel flow despite tank already dry kinda looks odd

* fuel gushing downwards toward the ground: ...when you land with a punctured fuel tank with fuel still left... Perhaps a series of 'gushing' animated textures would do. It seems kinda funny to see the fuel 'flying upwards' like smoke, after you land.

* small, local fires: A shell lands somewhere near the hydraulics, the gears are damaged, and graphically, you'd be able to see a small fire that flares up and then quickly dies down - indicating hyrdaulic fluid catching fire, quickly burning up, and then going out. This fire would be purely cosmetic, not like the "you're cooked in a few seconds" mega fire. A small visible fire at the wingroots, flares up, dies down after a few seconds with thick black puffs of smoke.

* damaged gears drooping: ... I'll bet many people've seen this in various guncam footages. Perhaps a random system that makes one, or two landing gears either fully drop down or half droop down, when gears are damaged.

* gears raised asymmetrically: ... This also pretty common in many footages. When planes take off, it seems almost every single one of them have their gears roll up assymetrically. It seems always one gear tucks in before the other.

* various vibration effects:  ... I'm not sure how difficult this would be, but I remember when AH first got its 'gun vibration effect'. Just simply make the screen shake when shooting guns, right? Well, much similarly, various 'screen shaking vibration' effects would greatly enhance immersion. Like, when a flak shell explodes in the close vicinity of your plane... the closer the burst, the larger the shakes.. Imagine a buff going through a barrage of flaks.. with every close proximity explosion the plane shakes, while you're looking through the bombsight.. Or, you're driving a tank. Enemy attack planes drop bombs at you.. with every close-miss the tank shakes... this would feel awesome... Likewise, a mighty 5" shell from a cruiser barraging an airfield... would be great to feel some shakes hear. Also, when you are nearby a structure that explodes... need vibration here too!  I'm not sure about planes though. How 'shaky' would it be when a 30mm or a 20mm shell lands on your fighter plane?

* pilot dead.. pilot dead planes plunging to a death dive.. whenever pilot dies, perhaps the system will put the plane into a steep dive so it will crash quickly. We already have the 'bailed plane spiralling to its death', so perhaps it can be based on that?

* planes crashing at water: currently, the plane blows up when impacting with water. Could sure use a separate 'splash!' animation. We already have bombs or bullets splashing when meeting with water.. so, just make them bigger? Also, a gentle 'ditching' at water could use a 'plane sinking downwards' effect.. instead of just floating atop..

* humans?: would it be too difficult to see humans? It could serve as an indicator to which gun positions are armed.. like, manned ack at airfield would be shown with gunners. Non-manned with no gunners.. perhaps the same with CV 20mm/40mm gun positions?

SOUNDS

* radio transmission 'clicks':  ... also a very long-time request from yours truly... instead of the annoying "beep" sound when transmitting via vox, why not use the more historic "*chhhhk!* cliok" sound? This is a really really simple request - just change the 'beep' sound to the historic 'chrrrk' sound and its done. Probably could do in 10 minutes or something if HT wished so.

* imminent engine death: probably a sound-mixing issue or something... when your radiators or engine oil is damaged... one minute engine runs fine, the next it goes dead. Kinda awkward, doncha think? How about some sort of sound mixing so when the engine is about to fail due to lack of radiator fluid or engine oil.. the engine runs rough, goes boing! bampf! squirk! ping!.. and then dies out soon after?

Anymore ideas?

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 06:41:43 AM »
I agree that some little touch's would be nice.

For me I would like to see Engines on multi engine aircraft start one at a time... In every piece of footage I have seen both fictional and historical I have always (I think its always) seen the engines strart one at a time...

Also when they turn off I would like to see them stop spinning at different positions...

Airfield and CV ground crew would be cool...

And deformable terrain (but thats a big ask) would be cool also, would mean you could bomb runways :p

Later

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 06:42:24 AM »
I like some of these ideas i really do like you say its just small touches but thats what makes a a game look good it already feels great to fly and some of these ideas would be cool in my book :aok :D
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:31:12 AM »
Reduced engine power output when oil is hit.

A 1 minute cough, sputter, wheeze warning before the engine siezes up.

Opening & closing cockpits would be awesome, truly would add to immersion.

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 05:38:07 PM »
i like em all. i would also like to add folding wings for carrier planes. another useless addition but its more for eye candy.  it should go like this, when the plane spawns and the engine is starting, thats when the wings unfold. only needs to take a few seconds as the engine is starting.  just my $0.02   :D

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:11:55 AM »
Great ideas, but i dont like the dust clouds from wheels like IL2.

Maybe in CT on grass strips, but i am guessing that the ground was always too damp in northern Europe to have dust smoke apart from in summer - i certainly have never seen it.

Be nice if we ever get N. Africa terrain to have it.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:36:49 AM »
How about some vibration and detonation (small random power loss) when you run your engine on full military longer than 15 minutes.

Offline hacksaw1

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:53:32 AM »
Okay, another small suggestion for eye-candy.

How about the moon appearing in the daylight sky, as it does in real life. Gibbous, Half-moon, quarter moon, new moon. The moon is not just "full" every day of the month.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:03:08 AM by hacksaw1 »

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:02 AM »
i would like to see smoke in the cockpit...

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 03:09:21 AM »
Kweassa - those ideas are cool - especially the vibration close to explosion effect. I think most, if not all, of those can be implemented on the client side rather than server, so they should be do-able.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:06 AM »
I go for the flak-vibrations aswell, it would be awesome to see your B-17 bounce around in there air :D

But don't let the vibrations affect calibration

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: another session of "small but fun" stuff..
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 08:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
* planes crashing at water: currently, the plane blows up when impacting with water. Could sure use a separate 'splash!' animation. We already have bombs or bullets splashing when meeting with water.. so, just make them bigger? Also, a gentle 'ditching' at water could use a 'plane sinking downwards' effect.. instead of just floating atop..

I remember a time when this did happen. It stopped for some reason, though.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 03:42:02 AM »
Give the T-34 Tank Commanders a handheld MG or even a "Burp Gun" where they can pop-up out of the Commanders hatch and take shots at troops, aircraft or soft-skinned vehicles if they have to.

!  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:24:26 AM »
hows about putting some graduations on the art horizon, so I can see my attitude and climbing degree, you know :like in real life:?
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 10:47:17 PM »
Normally, punting is forbidden.

But alas, 'tis the season to forgive :)

Besides, what better day to punt such a wishlist than Christmas eve?

:D

*punt*