Author Topic: ENY Value?  (Read 340 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
ENY Value?
« on: November 03, 2006, 06:16:54 AM »
Last night in the orange late war arena I couldn't use the plane, spit 9, I usually fly. I couldn't fly a P51D or Spit 16 either.  I got a message that planes with an ENY value of less than 17 were not avaialble.    I went to the same arena this morning and couldn't select a plane with an ENY value of less than 25.  It seemed that only early war planes were available.  I also noticed that the YAK 9U had an ENY value of 40 last night and 20 this morning.  Can anyone explain this?  It seems strange not to be able to select late war planes in the late war arena.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
ENY Value?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 06:23:11 AM »
the eny value kicks in when your country heavily out number the other countries. The idea is, if you MUST fly your "ride of choice" you switch countrys there-by helping to even out the numbers. Or your country while having much better numbers is hindered by "poorer" equipment to fight the battle.

Eny values and the "handicap" are all tied to the numbers of people in the arena.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
ENY Value?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:45:03 AM »
When you check in HANGAR, each plane has a ENY value. The lower the ENY, the "higher performance" the plane is.

The amount of perks you get awarded for a kill also depends on the ENY value of both planes. The higher your own planes ENY and the lower the opponents, the more perk points you get. Also into play comes the perk multiplier which gets calculated from how many people on your country are in flight as compared to the other countries.

ENY *limit* was installed for side balancing reasons. Above a certain total number of people online, the limit takes effect if one country highly outnumbers the other two. At one point, HT posted the formule used to calculate the limit. The stronger the imbalance, the higher the "ENY limit" ie you cant up planes below a certain ENY value.

This means the country that has the numerical advantage gets a "handicap" in plane choice. Also, not being able to fly the plane of your choice makes people either change country or log alltogether, which in turn helps evening the numbers.

As you can imagine, the higher the total number of players, the better the system works (for mathematical reasons... one single player doesnt make that much of a difference). With the new arena setup, the number of players per arena is lower, closer on the edge of minimum numbers needed to make the system (as it is now) work. This might lead to extreme turnouts of eny limit, which is cause of lot of gripes - of course. HiTech repeatedly has stated that hes working on tweaks to make the system more effective and smooth again.

That some sort of side balancing tool is *needed* was shown in the EWA, where the eny limiter was turned off for a while, resulting in 40 players on one country beating on 12 players (on *both* other countries!) with perked rides.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
ENY Value?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 12:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to me.  since I have no allegiances, I will change countries next time.  I suspect a glance at the roster will show me the overall balance.  It's just one of those things I've never thought about.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL