Author Topic: New MA terrain: CraterMA  (Read 12160 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
New MA terrain: CraterMA
« on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:36 AM »
I've been working on and off on this MA terrain for about six months now and have just finished laying out the fields and strat. The towns, spawn points, shore batteries and weather still need to be done. Before going any further I thought it would be a good idea to ask this forum for feedback. To that end I have drawn the initial country borders and my intended spawn points on its current TE map.

To avoid balance issues I've gone for a symmetrical field layout, although each country's clockwise half is not a mirror image of its anti-clockwise half. The bases are at around 2K high near the crater rim dropping to near sea level at the coast. The island airfields are at 1k. One thing HTC might take issue with is the high number of bases, 33 per side.

The central crater rim is about 15K high. It splits the countries at the centre of the map and acts as a deterrent to planes griefing tanktown in the middle of the crater. Three mountain range “spokes” radiate out from the crater and form the initial country borders. These mountains are about 9K high but are split by numerous valleys. You can cross the range between any two adjacent fields without making a major detour and not need to climb to more than 3-4K. A cross-range NOE goon run typically takes less than 10 minutes.

The groundwar is centered around V base hubs which in turn spawn to most of the airfields. There are also coastal spawn paths that end at the city, HQ and mainland port. The defending side has spawns from its uncapturable fields to many of the V base hubs, so these strategic bases are likely to see a lot of action.

Each country has two large islands near the borders with an airbase, a V base and a port on each. With shore batteries and PT spawns in the narrow channels either side these are going to be tough to take by CV and are fairly isolated from mainland airbases. The third CV can be used to retake an island if necessary.

I've created some new rock and snow textures for the mountainous areas, these are designed to merge with the default forest texture. They are fairly simple textures, with few colours and low resolution to keep them as small as possible. In total they make up 1060K of the 1666K res file size. The flatter areas are broken up with rivers and lakes. I realise I'll have to be careful where the roads go.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
Comment on the pictures of the terrain:

It looks AWESOME! I believe MA'ers will love this terrain.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
nice idea for the map and it looks like there could be alot of fights going on which will be good.

The only thing i think you should do is send a pic to skuzzy stating how high the crater is in the middle as i am not sure but i don't think they wantedsomething that high in the map circling TT. or maybe that was just for a fighter town map.

I might be wrong but before you do all the hard work of adding all the odds and sods it would be worth checking in case you have to lower the terrain a little.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »
That looks pretty awesome....

!

Guy
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you like it.

Thanks for the feedback Roger. I emailed Skuzzy a map based on the PSP image I used to generate the terrain months ago. It had layers at different elevations in various colours, like a real contour map. It was also stated in the email that the crater rim was about 15K high.

The main issues Skuzzy had with the original map were with FT bases in the crater and some spacing problems with the original base layout. As he didn't mention the rim height in his reply I'm presuming its OK. He may have overlooked it I suppose, but it wouldn't really affect anything else if I had to excavate some valleys in the crater rim later on. Some low alt clouds in the crater would protect tanktown to a degree.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:43:27 PM »
The only thing I would say, and I've said it to Ghastly....

Be careful with rivers. The deltas don't work properly. That is unless there's been a fix I'm unaware of.

And rivers must be at sea level for them to work properly with PT boats.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 04:57:18 PM »
I've gotten the deltas and the rivers to work properly Nhawk, main thing
is I had to edit the beach objects..

midi
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »
Thanks NHawk, I've read about the river problems while lurking in here from time to time. So there are no PT spawns on the rivers or near river deltas. The sea facing deltas are up estuary style inlets impassable to CVs, so anyone attempting to head up a river in a PT boat is going to have a very long trip.....

I intend to experiment putting one spawn for each country on the opposite side of the river to the target airbase with a bridge or two across the river.

Thank you for the bugfixed deltas Mrmidi.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:04:14 PM by Greebo »

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:09:18 PM »
You welcome, how ever the bridges across the river won't work if you
intend to run PT boats thru the rivers, I haven't figured out yet
why it kills you motor any time you pass a pt-boat under a bridge,
I have place custom bridges and default bridges across the rivers,
even raised them way up high and the problem still exsists
so it apears that any thing you place across the river kills the engine on your pt...:rolleyes:

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:17:49 PM »
I just want to get GVs across the river, there will be no river PT spawns at all on the map. The only issue might be if someone drives an LVT into the river and then below the bridge.

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:26:45 PM »
Sounds good.

BTY :aok  on the terrain I think it looks great..

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 05:29:30 PM »
Originally posted by mrmidi
I've gotten the deltas and the rivers to work properly Nhawk, main thing
is I had to edit the beach objects..

midi
Unfortunately your fixed deltas can't be used in an MA terrain. Unless they've been approved by Skuzzy. They fall under the "custom object" category once you edit them.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:39:18 PM »
Hopefully the deltas will be fixed when the next TE version comes out. I doubt this terrain will be finished before then and in the meantime its nice for me to see the deltas in the terrain.

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 05:43:28 PM »
touche' Nhawk I didn't think about that..:eek:

midi
In charge of nothing.
It is what it is!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »
The fixed deltas of midi's should be allowed since they fix a flaw in the game.  Midi, e-mail skuzzy with it.  Heck, if it fixes their game, why wouldn't they want to use it?
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus