Author Topic: Arena numbers  (Read 1895 times)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:23:51 AM »
Would someone please explain this.  
I wanted to get into the LW orange arena. (big map)  It was full. I would go into a different arena for a bit, then check back to see if I could get in.
Orange was at 201/200.  I went into the EW arena for less than 30 seconds; came out to check organge again and it was 206/200.  

I wish they would have a larger numbers cap on the big maps.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Arena numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse
Would someone please explain this.  
I wanted to get into the LW orange arena. (big map)  It was full. I would go into a different arena for a bit, then check back to see if I could get in.
Orange was at 201/200.  I went into the EW arena for less than 30 seconds; came out to check organge again and it was 206/200.  

Easy to explain: While you were gone, 2 people logged out of LWO. A moment later, 7 other players contact HTC server and see 199/200. Each of them joins. Result: 206/200.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena numbers
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse

I wish they would have a larger numbers cap on the big maps.

The LW arena limits increase over the course of the day (US time).
Titanic Tuesday LW arena limits increase to 850 Tuesday 10:00am - Wed 10:00 CST

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »
I tried 5 times thoughout the day saturday to get into LW orange, finally just went to midwar.. (blue was a joke as usual, 2 massive furballs going on and nothing else)

wanted to get in orange to fly with squaddies and all like planned, but no big deal, not like I paying per month to play or anything.:p

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:34 AM »
What you need to do is go to the other  LW arena to try to get the cap on the arena you can't get into to bump up.  

It's dynamic that way.  Increase the number in the low arena and the full arena goes up.

And, check back often.  Like someone already said, there only needs to be one open spot and good timing to get two or three more in.

I had no trouble getting into orange today when it was full.  Just takes patience and persistence.

wrngway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »
I actually got annoyed with the whole arena cap thing on Friday night for the fisrt time. Blue was consistantly full whilst the Knights had an ENY of ~20 in Orange and clearly the last thing needed was the whole 68th turning up after FSO.

I suppose we could have gone early or mid, but again, 15 or so Lancers all turning up at once would have totally unbalanced the sides.

I know there are a number of options available in this situation but none of them are particularly suitable to squads with more than a couple of members.

The problem on Friday night in Orange was a small number of Bish players -Knights and Rooks were pretty even, so I can only assume there was a huge number of Bish in Blue. Maybe the arena caps should be per-side and set to keep numbers roughly in step.

Probably flogging a dead horse here.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Arena numbers
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:36:26 AM »
Originally posted by 68Wooley
I actually got annoyed with the whole arena cap thing on Friday night for the fisrt time. Blue was consistantly full whilst the Knights had an ENY of ~20 in Orange and clearly the last thing needed was the whole 68th turning up after FSO.

Wouldn't have it been easy to log in as Rook or Bish for a night? You would have done a good deed for all players by evening out the sides & reducing ENY limits for your Knight friends. And it's quite fun to shoot down (or to be shot down by) players you are knowing well.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »
Areana caps generally don't piss me off, but a few nights ago I saw something like this

LW Orange- 236/200
Blue 175/200

EW- 63/350  :furious  :huh

WTF?  Dynamic loading that much of a problem?  Load balance much?  Yeeeeesh!
"You rebel scum"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Arena numbers
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:28 PM »
Originally posted by Rebel
Areana caps generally don't piss me off, but a few nights ago I saw something like this

LW Orange- 236/200
Blue 175/200

EW- 63/350  :furious  :huh

WTF?  Dynamic loading that much of a problem?  Load balance much?  Yeeeeesh!

Dynamic caps are ONLY in late war ! All the other arenas have static caps and NEVER change.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 12:02:51 AM »
its dumb, it only annoys people, it doesent work as intended ( can only imagine what the intention was)

you can go a day or 2 without seeing a new arena cap related gripe thread started   CLEVER AS IT MAY HAVE LOOKED ON PAPER, THE CURRENT SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK UNLESS ITS GOAL IS TO CONSISTENTLY DENY PAYING USERS WHAT THEY WANT AND OR TO PISS THEM OFF, IN THAT CASE IT IS A ROARING SUCCESS

there, I feel better now

but in all seriousness, for the past 3 days in a row I have been denied, what I feel is what im paying for.. maybe im selfish.. wanting to fly in whatever arena I want at whim..

perhaps the arena crap debacle was livable/acceptable back when there were 2 SIMILAR arenas..  now there are 2 totally different ones, one obviousley more popular than the other..

my squad seldom ventures out of orange (except when forced by the effing cap, which is frequent ) because its a big squad and its a big map, works out well.

being more or less FORCED to fly in another arena exiled from friends etce tc is pretty much a denial of paid service imo.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
Dynamic caps are ONLY in late war ! All the other arenas have static caps and NEVER change.

Well THAT explains a lot.  

Why the hell would you set a static cap so high for an arena who's population has a hard time going over 100?  

Titanic Tuesday tonight.  Can't wait! :D
"You rebel scum"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 08:50:24 AM »
Why the hell would you set a static cap so high for an arena who's population has a hard time going over 100?  

Obviously you do not understand what Dynamic Caps are designed to do.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:53:28 AM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
Obviously you do not understand what Dynamic Caps are designed to do.

Excuse me, Sally, but try reading the posts above before knockin some stupid comment like this around.  

Here ya go.  I'll help.

Have a nice day.
"You rebel scum"

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Arena numbers
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 09:12:36 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnutt
its dumb, it only annoys people, it doesent work as intended ( can only imagine what the intention was)

you can go a day or 2 without seeing a new arena cap related gripe thread started   CLEVER AS IT MAY HAVE LOOKED ON PAPER, THE CURRENT SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK UNLESS ITS GOAL IS TO CONSISTENTLY DENY PAYING USERS WHAT THEY WANT AND OR TO PISS THEM OFF, IN THAT CASE IT IS A ROARING SUCCESS

there, I feel better now

but in all seriousness, for the past 3 days in a row I have been denied, what I feel is what im paying for.. maybe im selfish.. wanting to fly in whatever arena I want at whim..

perhaps the arena crap debacle was livable/acceptable back when there were 2 SIMILAR arenas..  now there are 2 totally different ones, one obviousley more popular than the other..

my squad seldom ventures out of orange (except when forced by the effing cap, which is frequent ) because its a big squad and its a big map, works out well.

being more or less FORCED to fly in another arena exiled from friends etce tc is pretty much a denial of paid service imo.

HTC offers you 2  LW arena's.  

What are you being denied?

If there was only 1 LW arena and the numbers were 350/350, then I would agree that you were being deined.  The fact that there are 2 LW arenas means that you are not being denied the ability to fly in a LW arena.

If you cannot get your big squad into one LW arena, tell them all to go to the other LW arena.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Arena numbers
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 09:55:30 AM »
The dynamic caps work exactly as they are suppose to. They were designed and setup to make the population in each of the LW arena to grow evenly, which it does.

Back when there was only one LW arena with one MW and one EW arena ALL caps were static, and set at 350. The hope was people would move out and enjoy ALL of the arenas. However, after the first few weeks most figured out "how" to choose the LW arena and it was always full.... and the crying began. HTC split the arenas, and most STILL chose only one of the LW arenas hitting the cap, and the "overflow" landed in the second LW arena with low numbers..... and the crying began. So the dynamic cap system was made..... and the crying continues.