Author Topic: Airplane on a Conveyor Belt...  (Read 23651 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Airplane on a Conveyor Belt...
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »
On 'Myth Busters' tonight at 9 EST on DSC.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »
Talked about this last night for a bit, there was some confusion about the factors effecting this and alot of different answers to a very simple question!
Ask this of the players in here but make sure you get all the factors into the question.
Flying since tour 71.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
NO!! PLEASE!!  LOCK IT NOW!!!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:11 AM »
There are some well intentioned but mistaken folks here who say the plane won't take off.  These are the people who, I imagine, concentrate on the GV side of AH.  :D
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
I never did any GV stuff in AH...but it won't take off.

:D
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »
the thing i want to know is how is the plane staying on the conveyer belt . is it tied to an anchorpoint or are the engines running to develop thrust?
is the conveyer belt stationary and only the belt moving in the oposite direction of the way the plane is faceing?
the way i heard the ? is that the plane,s wheels and the belt are goin in oposite directions at the same speed if this is so then the plane is not moving and will not fly as lift to the wings is needed for that!
what is stoping the plane from falling off the belt? it must be anchored as the props turning would create forward thrust not relavent to the test and the plane would move forward off the belt!
either way the plane must be anchored to the ground to keep it from moving back or forward while the wheels roll underneath
 and it wont fly if its tied to the ground!:aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »
For those of you that weren't here the first time, here's your chance to bone up on your "airplane on a conveyor belt" theory...

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197189&highlight=airplane+on+conveyor+belt

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Once again, for Curval and the rest of the folks who don't get it....  planes are not propelled by their wheels.  A car driving 30mph on a 30mph conveyor belt would sit motionless.  

...but a plane is blowing air with a propeller.  Doesn't matter if the wheels are spinning twice as fast, the plane will move.

Some of the people, in their fervid attempts to prove that the treadmill will prevent the plane from moving, will start talking about things like clamps holding the plane in place, and that's where their well intentioned mistake transitions to borderline maliciousness.  C'mon.

The plane will take off tonight.  If he applies normal takeoff power, it will take off just fine.  If he only gooses the throttle enough to keep position on the fast moving canvas, then it won't....   .....but that's not the legend.

So it'll take off.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
ok now that i have read the real question
if the plane moves forward at 100 knots it will fly and the belt cannot stop it! my theory is that the belt will continue to accelerate and the wheels may explode but the plane will fly if it is still in one peice when it reaches 100 knots

i stand corrected  at first the question seemed to be misleading
:noid
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:13:50 AM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
I birthed a monster thread. Yay me!:aok

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 11:16:44 AM »
Originally posted by sluggish
For those of you that weren't here the first time, here's your chance to bone up on your "airplane on a conveyor belt" theory...

http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=197189&highlight=airplane+on+conveyor+belt

a little way down this forum is a link to the real question!

read this more than once and hopefully you will understand the plane does not have to stay stationary and the belt is not compinsating for movement of the plane it is only going 100 knots in the oposite direction hence wheel speed 200 knots! plane speed 100 knots!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:23:00 AM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:35:55 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
So it'll take off.

No it won't.

:)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
If we are able to defy the laws of physics with a conveyor belt that can instantly and infinitely compensate for the thrust of the plane, then we must also throw out any wheel drag or cetrifugal wheel force or wheel bearing limitation physics.

The plane will fly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:56:39 AM by sluggish »

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:54:49 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
No it won't.

:)
I've put together a quick list of excuses you can call on tonight or tomorrow after the episode for why it took off:

"They did it wrong, they-":

1. "Weren't supposed to give it full throttle!"
2. "Should have tied it down to prevent it from moving!"
3. "Didn't make the conveyor belt move infinitely fast!"
4. "Aren't real scientists, they didn't understand the problem!"

Hope one or more of these fit your outrage.  :D

If the plane doesn't take off for some reason (like, they tie it down or don't give it the right throttle or something) then I'll be sad, but I'll face my fate here like a man.  Can you commit to the same?

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
The thing is the belt is not supposed to compinsate for the speed of the plane it is only going 100knots and the plane is supposed to add power  for 100 knot takeoff  hence 200 knot wheel speed! the plane does not have too stay  stationary!
 this is what threw me at first because i thought that the belt was goin to go faster and faster and the plane had to stay in one spot but those are not the peramiters of the question
 i dont know how too link this thread to the real question or i would then i would break it down for you
IT will fly
Flying since tour 71.