Author Topic: Track Ir view problem revisited  (Read 854 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Track Ir view problem revisited
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:44:36 AM »
I posted about this some while ago, but I did a few more tests and din't see anything about this issue in the upcoming fix list either, so please bear with me:

Problem: Reduced Field Of View when looking back while using TIR 4 or TIR 3 with vector add on.

If using any 6DOF version of TIR, you just can't move your head as much away from the headrest as when using AH's native head positioning:

I double checked it with the TIR own head positioning gauges / head position window to see if it is a TIR bug. I found that I was not anywhere near to TIR's own limits while my AH head movement came to a stop.

While it happens in all planes in the planeset, the actual difference between native headposition and TIR headposition varies. In some planes it's not very notable, or not a real problem:

109 native rear view

109 rear view with TIR

Notable difference, but not a big problem

However, I'm basically unable to fly F4U's (and, to some extend, Hellcats too):

F4U-C native view

F4U-C using TIR

F4U-C native view

F4U-C using TIR

The rear view is crippled, and now leaning/recentering/ adjusting can overcome this. (And, yes, I do know how to lean forward than recenter ;))
It's just  as if I have shorter/more tightly set seatbelts when using TrackIr

I'm very confident that this would be actually pretty easy to fix (naive soul I am indeed!). I would really like to fly those birds in a fighter role  :pray
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Re: Track Ir view problem revisited
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:55:44 AM »
I concur and would love to see this fixed as it hinders the effectiveness of TIR.

Thanks for the explanation... HTC?.. any thoughts on why this is with only a subset of planes?

Thanks,

Balsy

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
Yes please
Ludere Vincere

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
I found this thread while searching for a solution to a problem I an having with my new TrackIR.  The thread describes my problem very well.  TrackIR seems to be great for many views but I am finding that I don't get near the 6 view I get with my hat switches.  Was a solution ever developed?  I'm about ready to send the thing back. 
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:29:35 AM »
I found this thread while searching for a solution to a problem I an having with my new TrackIR.  The thread describes my problem very well.  TrackIR seems to be great for many views but I am finding that I don't get near the 6 view I get with my hat switches.  Was a solution ever developed?  I'm about ready to send the thing back. 

Hmm. While there is a difference in 6 view between TIR and hat view in almost all planes, I find it "only" really problematic in US Navy planes.
You might most probably knwo it, but if you lean forward, then recenter it will help you 6 view. Because when you know turn your head to look behind, you automatically have max distance between virtual head & headrest.

As said before, it works good enough in most planes (see 109 picture above, not a biggy IMO), so that they will have to pry my TIR from my cold stiff fingers. But F4U's rear views  are really botched :(

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »
I don't have so much of a problem with f4s except the -1. The fm2 and P47 D11 are different stories. In the f4s I raise up and see pretty well to my 6, looking straight up I twist my head sideways and have full view. It would be nice though to get better views back there though. I am with you Lusch, they can not take my TIR away.

Sunbat, maybe you should try a different profile, I felt the same way until I found a modification of Mace's profile that I think Homeboy has on his website. It helped a lot. If you can't find it PM me and I can email it to you to try, it might help.
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:58:39 AM »
I don't have so much of a problem with f4s except the -1.

Could you perhaps make a screenshot? Would like to see if there's any difference.

Offline Halo46

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:59:34 AM »
I will the next time I get on.  :aok
Used to fly as Halo46, GRHalo, Hobo and Punk at the end.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
I posted about this some while ago, but I did a few more tests and din't see anything about this issue in the upcoming fix list either, so please bear with me:

Problem: Reduced Field Of View when looking back while using TIR 4 or TIR 3 with vector add on.

If using any 6DOF version of TIR, you just can't move your head as much away from the headrest as when using AH's native head positioning:

(Image removed from quote.)

I double checked it with the TIR own head positioning gauges / head position window to see if it is a TIR bug. I found that I was not anywhere near to TIR's own limits while my AH head movement came to a stop.

While it happens in all planes in the planeset, the actual difference between native headposition and TIR headposition varies. In some planes it's not very notable, or not a real problem:

(Image removed from quote.)
109 native rear view

I'm very confident that this would be actually pretty easy to fix (naive soul I am indeed!). I would really like to fly those birds in a fighter role  :pray
I totally agree you and it is about time to get game working with Tracking IR, more and more country mates are buying the system and I think they do advertise that Aces High is one of the games that support their system. :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
I don't know why this is not being addressed.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 09:37:47 PM »
+1 here..

PLEASE fix this.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »
Also would like this fixed.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline xStrato

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 08:51:49 PM »
I too would like this fixed. I love the American naval planes. Too bad I cant watch my 6 when I fly them. By the way, great explanation of the problem. You nailed it. Knowing the problem is half the battle.