Author Topic: CLASSIFIED AD: Are you a fan of the pacific war?  (Read 540 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
CLASSIFIED AD: Are you a fan of the pacific war?
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
Alright, I picked up this game at my local store for about $20 a while back. Its absolutely addicting, and I love the concept of it. However, for some reason, my computer graphics cannot handle it, so rather than upgrade, Im just getting rid of it. The game is called Pacific Storm: Allies. Here are some online screenshots:

Now in all fairness, I have 320 gigs of RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce 6150LE graphics card, and I wasn't able to handle the graphics at this level.

The premise of the game is, you can pick from one of three countries to play as, Japan, the U.S., or the U.K. Each country has unique equipment and technology to develope and research, including the B-29, F8F, F-100, Vampire, and the Atomic Bomb. In the strategic phase you research technology, build infrastructures on bases, and order developement of new ships and aircraft. You can also initiate combat or the invasion of an island/base. You then enter the tactical phase, where you can command your entire fleet/air force, or take command of an individual ship, or even fly one of the planes. The flight controls in my experience is rather lousy, VERY arcadish, but still fun.

In adition to this, there are 3 NPC countries: Germany, Russia, and Finland. Each of these three countries don't start with bases, but earn money and develope their own ships and aircraft. You can negotiate, get them to be your allies, and trade bases, resources, and equipment, (I have had a fleet of Iowa Battleships with the Bismarck as my flagship, and both the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau as members of my fleet, with Bf-109s and Fw-190s for land based air-cover).

I'm looking for a trade, (Trying to get my hands on a game called Stronghold), but I would be perfectly happy just giving this game away. PM me if you are interested.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Re: CLASSIFIED AD: Are you a fan of the pacific war?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »
what are the minimum requirements for it?
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
what are the minimum requirements for it?

Ya know, i should have gotten that written down, but I do not have the box in front of me. I left it at the other house, but I will grab it tomorrow.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:17 PM »
Ya know, i should have gotten that written down, but I do not have the box in front of me. I left it at the other house, but I will grab it tomorrow.

k thnx
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
Now in all fairness, I have 320 gigs of RAM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:00:51 AM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay.

I think he means 320MB?

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:07:24 AM »
were there Germans in the pacific??
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:53:37 AM »
I think he means 320MB?

Oops, read the wrong part of the box. thats a 320GB HD, ive got 1024 Megs of ram, lol. Sorry  :rolleyes:

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 05:33:41 AM »
Yeah, what the heck are the Bismarck and the Hood doing in the Pacific?  Is the game on a world-wide scale or is it in the PTO only?  Having the Bismarck and the Hood in the PTO makes no sense whatsoever.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
Yeah, what the heck are the Bismarck and the Hood doing in the Pacific?  Is the game on a world-wide scale or is it in the PTO only?  Having the Bismarck and the Hood in the PTO makes no sense whatsoever.

It's PTO, but as I said, you have the option of trading and purchsing equipment from different countries. Somehow the UK does have the hood in the Pacific, and you can either play as the UK and have her from the start, or buy her as the U.S. Same for the Bismarck. It's not a very realistic game in that effect, (Ive got La-7s flying next to P-51s), but its fun in it's own way.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 06:50:20 PM »
Interesting.  I'm downloading the demo.

Sort of reminds me of this game I still have.  Too bad nobody does stategy games like this anymore.  P.T.O I, II, and IV (there was no III) developed by Koei.  I never played IV (which was for PS2, PC vers was Jap only) but I still have PTO II for my PC, circa 1995-96.  Here's the PTO IV link to wiki
s" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T.O._IV:_Pacific_Theater_of_Operation s
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
Interesting.  I'm downloading the demo.

Sort of reminds me of this game I still have.  Too bad nobody does stategy games like this anymore.  P.T.O I, II, and IV (there was no III) developed by Koei.  I never played IV (which was for PS2, PC vers was Jap only) but I still have PTO II for my PC, circa 1995-96.  Here's the PTO IV link to wiki
s" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T.O._IV:_Pacific_Theater_of_Operation s

I LOVE THAT GAME!!! I played P.T.O. IV, (Rented it from blockbuster) but could never bring myself to shell out $40 to buy it. Its actually why I bought this game, they looked similar. To be honest, If I could get decent performance out of this one, I would keep it. I love it, but my comp. just cannot handle it :(

So, no one is interested? Like I said, if no one has stronghold or doesn't want to trade, I will give it up for free.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »
I tried the demo.  I stopped on the 2nd training mission.  The attack stuff was too much like Homeworld, which I didn't like.  I was hoping for more not RTS stuff.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
I don't get why your system can not handle the graphic's? Seems like you should be able to do that easy with what you have. I've got 1gig memory, 80mb hard drive, and fx5500 card and run AH at a constant 60fps. This is my old system i'm on now and it works fine, and actually works better in some ways than my new system with stinking vista on it.
I'd do some tweaking with my system before i gave it away just to see if you can get the performance up.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »
See Rules #2, #4, #5
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:22:05 AM by Skuzzy »