Author Topic: Running Commentary  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Running Commentary
« on: July 24, 2008, 02:33:31 AM »
I would like to start a thread about guys who give a running commentary over vox...

Please, it is not necessary to talk about everything you are doing when there is a fight raging and 20, 50 or even 100 people around the same area having to listen to you talk about what plane you are flying, where you are driving/flying to or how pretty the trees are.  I quite enjoy the chat when it is quiet, but when there is a ton going on and you get 3 or 4 guys talking utter rubbish over vox it is pretty irritating.

The other thing which i would like to add, is people who give a call about incoming aircraft to a field... "B17 inb" doesn't help very much, ideally need a heading and alt to go with it to be of use ;)

Anyways, just some of my observations - i can always turn vox volume down.  :aok

I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Running Commentary
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:37:40 AM »
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&rls=en&q=brevity+code
Now the talking heads will say 100x more in the same amount of chatter.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »
all goes back to some of the Vox suggestions.  Need more controls over it,  perma squelch.  range off,  turning the volume down dont help with squad vox in game (for those who use it)

My favourite are the guys who loose off about not getting a check six when they are all ganging one poor guy and someone else picks them good.   WAAAAmbulance for you sir  squelch.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline A8balls

• Copper Member
      • http://a8s.us
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »
I don't mind the "how's it going?" chatter when the air is clear. I even enjoy the "did you see the History Channel last night" discussions, when there is nothing going on. But too many times, during a fierce encounter, these type of conversations carry over for too long. When players are in GVs with enemy GVs in close proximity, the chatter makes it impossible to hear other vehicles.
Check-sixes are great and I like to recieve/give them, but all too often someone's check-six sounds like "XXXX CHECK SIX! BREAK NOW! BEAK NOW! CHECK-SIX! SPIT'S ON YOUR SIX!". IMO, this is too long and ties up the range channel for other checks. Most of the time, I wish I could squelch the range channel without squelching my squad vox.   :mad:
Aces & 8s Since 2006

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 07:39:28 AM »
HT Skuzz someone please add a "turn this damn Range channel off" button to the menu...if its not the squeakers killing your ear screaming about a plane thats 5k away its someone crying about something.As for the ck 6 thing. Your six is your responsibility. Its called SA ppl
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »
all goes back to some of the Vox suggestions.  Need more controls over it,  perma squelch.  range off,  turning the volume down dont help with squad vox in game (for those who use it)

My favourite are the guys who loose off about not getting a check six when they are all ganging one poor guy and someone else picks them good.   WAAAAmbulance for you sir  squelch.

From a practical point of view, would having an unlimited squelch list, perma-squelch, range squelch, etc . . ., would making such options available be difficult, time intensive, etc?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 07:58:54 AM »
I don't mind the "how's it going?" chatter when the air is clear. I even enjoy the "did you see the History Channel last night" discussions, when there is nothing going on. But too many times, during a fierce encounter, these type of conversations carry over for too long. When players are in GVs with enemy GVs in close proximity, the chatter makes it impossible to hear other vehicles.
Check-sixes are great and I like to recieve/give them, but all too often someone's check-six sounds like "XXXX CHECK SIX! BREAK NOW! BEAK NOW! CHECK-SIX! SPIT'S ON YOUR SIX!". IMO, this is too long and ties up the range channel for other checks. Most of the time, I wish I could squelch the range channel without squelching my squad vox.   :mad:
The problem isn't the conversation itself, but that it carries over to anyone who upped from the same base, whether they're out west 2 sectors in the middle of frantic tactical action, or east 2 sectors orbiting a completely capped and sterile target.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »
From a practical point of view, would having an unlimited squelch list, perma-squelch, range squelch, etc . . ., would making such options available be difficult, time intensive, etc?

My guess is it isolates players, and maybe HT doesnt want that to happen. Just my guess, because it certainly is something that should be done otherwise, and Im sure it wouldnt be a big deal for them to do.

~AoM~

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
Perhaps an easier feature to add would be a .reportsqueak <PlayerID> command.
 :aok
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »

or the 6 guys watching the 1  friendly attempt to shoot down the other and not saying anything when someone gets in on thier six and shoots them down because they are more worried getting the kill themselves.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:51 AM »
I would like to start a thread about guys who give a running commentary over vox...

Please, it is not necessary to talk about everything you are doing when there is a fight raging and 20, 50 or even 100 people around the same area having to listen to you talk about what plane you are flying, where you are driving/flying to or how pretty the trees are.  I quite enjoy the chat when it is quiet, but when there is a ton going on and you get 3 or 4 guys talking utter rubbish over vox it is pretty irritating.

The other thing which i would like to add, is people who give a call about incoming aircraft to a field... "B17 inb" doesn't help very much, ideally need a heading and alt to go with it to be of use ;)

Anyways, just some of my observations - i can always turn vox volume down.  :aok

Suggestion to all those aspiring sportscasters: Leave the "play by play" to the professionals. :lol
It is annoying to hear a running account of how a Tempest is on the 6 of your LA and closing (for example).

A good rule of thumb (most of you guys already know this, but it is aimed for those that don't) limit range chatter to reporting ground/air targets and calling out "cons". Please  include their altitude and direction if you want anybody to help. A detailed account of you trying to land is a 1st class ticket to Squelchville. :aok
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
squelch
Lighten up Francis

Offline halo342

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
Perhaps an easier feature to add would be a .reportsqueak <PlayerID> command.
 :aok

that list would be full by the end of the week   :D
Oh my God, what has the Internet evolved itself into? :huh

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
Check-sixes are great and I like to recieve/give them, but all too often someone's check-six sounds like "XXXX CHECK SIX! BREAK NOW! BEAK NOW! CHECK-SIX! SPIT'S ON YOUR SIX!". IMO, this is too long and ties up the range channel for other checks. Most of the time, I wish I could squelch the range channel without squelching my squad vox.   :mad:

Nah, the best ones are the short "51, check it" that comes out on range when a P51 happens to drop bellow orbit.  :rofl Who? where? what? who you talking to? And then, a few seconds latter: "check it CHECK IT!!!!!"  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »
All I know is the "Check Six" function in the game in damn worthless half the time.  Use it when someone is getting run down and they obviously don't see the attacker, not when they're in a turnfight and you're checking them for someone on their 2 o'clock.  They're going to have to break off their turn to defense against a non-existent enemy and you probably just got them killed or prevented them from attacking their target.

When the air is thick with aircraft, get a microphone and do a quick voice check.  In this situation the built-in Check Six does more harm than good... unless you were intentionally trying to get someone to break off so you could get the kill instead.

Yesterday I got check-six'd for an LA7 that I was 200 yards behind and in a turn-fight with in my Zero.  That was just carelessness, not even checking the relative distances between the friendly and the target or what was going on between them.  There was no other aircraft nearby.  I obviously saw the LA... I didn't need a check six in that situation... if you're not sure use voice.  

If you can't use voice because you're a mute or you have throat cancer or you don't have a microphone or your stereo is blasting Billy Ray so loud your ears are bleeding, accept that fact that you can't save everyone and sending a check six when you don't know the situation yourself might do more harm than good  :frown: .
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown