Author Topic: Who are you?  (Read 10322 times)

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Who are you?
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2008, 09:30:52 AM »
Don't hate on his game, player. He uses that line all the time to get tail, aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Even though he can't speak a word of Italian.  :aok

haha yea that's one of the most hilarious things with italian-americans. i acknowledge that they have italian heritage.. but when they say 100% italian/proud to be  from _ITALIA_  bla bla and don't speak a lick of italian it just makes you go hmm... if you're that proud why teh hell havent you learned italian

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Don't hate on his game, player. He uses that line all the time to get tail, aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Even though he can't speak a word of Italian.  :aok

Are you telling me that, if I go to US, I'll have lot of chicks just for how I speak or where I come from? :huh
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
well I'm half French and half German (Gagne/Achorn) and extremely proud of my north western European heritage. but i am also American and we speak English here, so if you wanna talk to me do it in English.

i have no interest in learning another language, maybe its laziness maybe lack of want but whatever it is doesn't change the fact that i am proud of my heritage. in the end that's all that matters to me.

besides, what is the point of boasting of a false heritage? does he get a cookie if he is Italian?

if he is proud of his heritage then let him be proud, who cares what languages he speaks. we all came from the muck and the mud and some day we will all return to it, which route we took to get here is really only semantics and completely irrelevant.

FLOTSOM

as a footnote for those who failed to pay attention in history class, the look (olive skin black hair ect) of the modern day Italian (Mediterranean) is NOT a pure blooded Italian in the historical sense. the Italians of ancient days, as well as the Greeks and Spanish were all of the Caucasian variety (having brown to blond and red hair white toned skin ect) so anyone claiming to be pure Italian but looking anything other than northern European is mistaken to the truth of their own genetic heritage.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2008, 07:34:44 PM »
Gianlupo is from Italy... I can barely understand him his accent is so thick.  :aok

<S> Gian!
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
ahhaha, gian. <S>

I miss your accent man.
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
Gianlupo is from Italy... I can barely understand him his accent is so thick.  :aok

<S> Gian!

:furious :D

Well, I have to say I give my best with written English. I'm doing better and better when it comes to listening, thanks to movies and tv shows (by now, I always hear them in original language), but I speak English really too few times, so, yep, my spoken English kinda sucks. ;)

as a footnote for those who failed to pay attention in history class, the look (olive skin black hair ect) of the modern day Italian (Mediterranean) is NOT a pure blooded Italian in the historical sense. the Italians of ancient days, as well as the Greeks and Spanish were all of the Caucasian variety (having brown to blond and red hair white toned skin ect) so anyone claiming to be pure Italian but looking anything other than northern European is mistaken to the truth of their own genetic heritage.

The above statement is wrong, in this. You're confusing Italians with Italic people, the people who lived in Italy before Roman conquest. Two different things and, in fact, in Italian we use two different words to designate each concept ("Italiani" and "Italici"). If you talk about "Italians", you talk about the people who live in Italy in our times, say about from Unity (1860) to present day. And those are the Italians who left to come in the US and made the Italian heritage there: so, if he says he has Italian heritage, I'm expecting he's simply claiming that his grandparents or grand-grandparents were from Italy.
Btw, you should come here: you'll see that the "Mediterranean" type, as defined in your words, it's just a part of the population. If you think that everyone in Italy has olive skin and brown/dark hair, you may find some surprise.

As for BigBob, I'm just curious to know the story of his family... he really does look like he has a different heritage.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:38:55 AM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »
well I'm half French and half German (Gagne/Achorn) and extremely proud of my north western European heritage. but i am also American and we speak English here, so if you wanna talk to me do it in English.

i have no interest in learning another language, maybe its laziness maybe lack of want but whatever it is doesn't change the fact that i am proud of my heritage. in the end that's all that matters to me.

besides, what is the point of boasting of a false heritage? does he get a cookie if he is Italian?

if he is proud of his heritage then let him be proud, who cares what languages he speaks. we all came from the muck and the mud and some day we will all return to it, which route we took to get here is really only semantics and completely irrelevant.

FLOTSOM

Thanks for the irrelevant but hilariously inaccurate footnote. Gotta love these "FAILED TO PAY ATTENTION IN CLASS" types  :rofl

if someone lives in america, only speaks english and was born there, they're 100% of an entirely different nationality? chyea, of course. Not to mention the fact that 90% of the current day natural inhabitants do have the type of look you described. I have spanish blood in me which is why I have BLACK HAIR like pretty much everyone does in modern day spain.

Things that make you go hmmm....

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:14:58 PM by RumbleB »

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2008, 03:47:48 PM »
Gianlupo, my point was NOT to insult anyones heritage but to explain that a persons looks are a poor source of reference in today's day and age.

rumble bee your mentioning that he looked like an American teenager is not relevant to his family lineage.

northern Italians, who were not conquered by the moores in the dark ages, tend to retain the lighter hair lighter skin of their ancestors. but the southern Italians Spanish Greeks and other Mediterranean peoples who were conquered by the moores have had their bloodlines permanently altered. you say you are part Spanish, well that also makes you part Moore, that is where your dark hair and dark skin tone come from. that is your bloodline.

do you describe yourself as Moore? or do you describe yourself as Italian?

i doubt that very many people in Europe, America, Canada ect can claim a true blood decent without a mixing of some type somewhere in their history, we have been intermixing for hundreds of years. so now its become a matter of your parents names. if your parents both have Italian last names then your heritage is generally seen as Italian, same for Greek French ect.

a friend of mine was pure Irish, black as any light skinned African American, but pure Irish by heritage. his parents both had historical lineage in ireland going back 300 plus years. but his family also has interracial mixing going back as far as they can trace, so in their coming together the genetic lines created a dark skinned Irishman. if you ask him he will tell you he is Irish, he doesn't say African Irish, just Irish.

to look at him you would come to a different conclusion than his family history would show. does this make him less Irish?

so again my point was not to insult or degrade anyones bloodlines, but to point out that in today's day and age guessing their lineage by their looks is very inaccurate.

as far as language goes, well that's all in where you grew up. I'm from new hampshire, everyone spoke English here when i was a child so there was no need to learn the French that my farther speaks fluently. does that mean my heritage is less French because i didn't want to learn the language? or that I'm less German because my mom didn't learn the language of her farther and then pass it down to me?

if the Italian part of his history is what he chooses to embrace and be proudest of then why judge him on it?

where ever your ancestors come from is really of no value.

be proud of yourself as a person, live with integrity, treat others with the level of respect that you want to be treated with and hold your head up, everything else is just window dressing.

FLOTSOM
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:08:14 PM by FLOTSOM »
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline xsarahx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »
I'm Sarah, 24, Mum to Brianna 2.5yrs old and Wife ack to Pete (SD67)

Here's me and our daughter :salute

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »
holy moly thats one megapost im too lazy/disinterested to read, i surrender.
back to the topic at hand

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
My ride in a N3N-3, 1944 vintage trainer made by the Naval Aircraft Company. Though you can't tell it I am wearing an Aces High tee shirt.  :)

And this is a F4U-5 Shot from a P-51 in Alma Michigan the same day sent to me by one of the sponsors of the open house. I think it is an excellent picture and what better place to share it.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:55:36 PM by Lye-El »

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
My ride in a N3N-3, 1944 vintage trainer made by the Naval Aircraft Company.

(Image removed from quote.)

And this is a F4U-5 Shot from a P-51 in Alma Michigan the same day sent to me by one of the sponsors of the open house. I think it is an excellent picture and what better place to share it.

Great PIcture!!!!!!!
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2008, 07:28:12 PM »
My ride in a N3N-3, 1944 vintage trainer made by the Naval Aircraft Company. Though you can't tell it I am wearing an Aces High tee shirt.  :)

Great pics Lye-El!  :aok :aok

Do you have the F4U picture in a larger size? That would make an awsome background.
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
Great pics Lye-El!  :aok :aok

Do you have the F4U picture in a larger size? That would make an awsome background.

agreed
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »
Originally from WA, but now I'm kinda all over the state. I got nothing to do w/ planes in RL, just tanks. I love AW since 1996 and now AHII. 25 years old, active duty army LT.

E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'