Author Topic: Arena Caps  (Read 742 times)

Offline Guyver

• Copper Member
Re: Arena Caps
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 05:48:28 AM »
get on before 6pm GMT you wont have a problem,

if only i could. my job stops me 90% of the time from getting on before 6pm  :(

but i agree if i am ome like today im usualy on before 6 and stay on through the low cap point.

but i still they should be raised. why drop from a high cap to a low only to raise again to the same point. keep at 250 at the least.
Per Mare Per Terram

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:02 AM »
but i still they should be raised. why drop from a high cap to a low only to raise again to the same point. keep at 250 at the least.

Because it would end at 250/250 in LWO and 20 only in LWB. And LW would take MUCH longer now to get to any acceptable level.  Same problem than before, just more amplified
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:57:14 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Guyver

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 09:33:58 AM »

Because it would end at 250/250 in LWO and 20 only in LWB. And LW would take MUCH longer now to get to any acceptable level.  Same problem than before, just more amplified

how would it. if the cap is 250 on each at peak times. to me it seems to drop at peak times. hense we get 350 in one and 120 in the other and both droped to 100.

to me it lookes like the cap drops at peak times and then rises slowly. at the end of teh day it dosent matter what we all think. HTc will not change it.

it just looks silly whnt the cap is 100/150 and both have 150+ on them. imo just have 1 server with a high number on like titanic tue. problem solved

Per Mare Per Terram

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »
you'll never have a situation with BOTH arenas at  150/100 the reason you have over the odds is because the 2nd arena has too little players in it.  the cap will increase when the second arena is nearly up to speed.

the cap kicks in at 6pm gmt/ 1pm est off peak for the US players.  around this time is when the arenas start to fill up. 

Having one arena was viewed by Htc as a bigger problem and thats why they put in the dynamic cap in the first place.  Titanic tuesday for some is like marmite, you either love it or hate it.

personally i think we should have one arena midweek and the caps only at the weekend when way more players get online.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:54:12 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 10:13:43 AM »
how would it. if the cap is 250 on each at peak times. to me it seems to drop at peak times. hense we get 350 in one and 120 in the other and both droped to 100.

First, it doesn't drop that sharply at epak times. The big drop is once per day, when arena caps are getting into effect. That's at 12am, far from being peak.

Now have a look at how that works (I posted that stuff not long ago, but where we go again:

That's how arena population develops on a typical Friday. Actual numbers, sampled by me:

(Yes I know... I should have used different colours)

The sole reason sharp drop in max capacity is to balance player numbers between both LW arenas as quick as possible.
If you set absolute minimum cap to 250, people would still stream into the arena with most players already in, until that arena reaches its cap.
Which would then result in LWO 250/250 and LWB 20/250. same problem, but now LWB would take much more time to get to the numbers required to raise LWO caps again. Simple maths.

Example with minimum cap of 200 instead of 100:

See that in reality (first graph) it took LWB about 1 hour to get to hundred players. If minimum cap in LWO had been 200 (second graph), it would have taken more than 2 hours for LWB to get to 100 players. If you set minimum cap even higher (250, 300 or whatever), that effect would be even greater.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
lusche ceases to amaze me with his statistical analysis.  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:57 AM »
What does it matter?  There can be 400 people in the arena and it will still be hard to find a consistent fight that doesn't fizzle out after a half hour once the attackers meet resistance. :lol
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:20:44 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!