Author Topic: Puffy Ack ( Mannable )  (Read 1122 times)

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
Puffy Ack ( Mannable )
« on: August 17, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »
I know there are threads on artillary, but would there be any way to implement a 5" ( Single ) type of gun on the airfields. Say a small airfield would have 2, med 3, and large 5 of these things? I still would love to see some kind of 88 (aa) type of weapon, and would like to know if there is anyway to implement maybe as a manned puffy ack on the airfield?  Thanks
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Puffy Ack ( Mannable )
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:45 PM »
I know there are threads on artillary, but would there be any way to implement a 5" ( Single ) type of gun on the airfields. Say a small airfield would have 2, med 3, and large 5 of these things? I still would love to see some kind of 88 (aa) type of weapon, and would like to know if there is anyway to implement maybe as a manned puffy ack on the airfield?  Thanks

Puffy ack is laser-guided as it is. You want to actually put someone with AIM behind it?!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
Yeah, I think it be more historically accurate, and would bring a new realm into play. Yeah I would actually LOVE to see this in the game. :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
only with timed fuses, which take 10mins to alter :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
The day there are manned 5" guns on every airfield is the day I quit and never look back.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:51:49 PM »
Yeah, I think it be more historically accurate, and would bring a new realm into play. Yeah I would actually LOVE to see this in the game. :aok

If you want to see what it will be like, go spend some time over a task group with someone in the manned 5" guns. See how fun it is flying then.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »
If you want to see what it will be like, go spend some time somewhat near a task group in a small fighter, circling tight with cons, obviously being no threat to the CV whatsoever, with someone in the manned 5" guns. See how fun it is flying then.

Fixed :aok
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
 :lol

heck I hope there's never manned puffy at the airbases. Would LOVE to see 5 mannable gun positions or so at the HQ and other strats possibly.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
At one time there WAS puffy ack at the airfields. It wasn't fun.

AFAIK there's still puffy ack at the factories, tho. And I do agree, puffy ack could be added to the HQ.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 02:21:09 PM »

NO 5" guns on an airfield. If I am correct, an 88 would be equivelant to about a 3 1/2 in gun. I am all for the 88. And I belive the germans had proximity fuses. May be wrong, but someone said that in a different thread.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
If you want to see what it will be like, go spend some time somewhat near a task group in a small fighter, circling tight with cons, obviously being no threat to the CV whatsoever, with someone in the manned 5" guns. See how fun it is flying then.
Fixed :aok

:aok 
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline TheAce

• Copper Member
      • ~The Guardians~ Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
Puffy ack is laser-guided as it is. You want to actually put someone with AIM behind it?!

Well, the way I see it all the squeekers would clog em' up anyway.
It is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Squad CO of ~The Guardians~ - RECRUITING

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »
NO 5" guns on an airfield. If I am correct, an 88 would be equivelant to about a 3 1/2 in gun. I am all for the 88. And I belive the germans had proximity fuses. May be wrong, but someone said that in a different thread.

You are wrong. They didn't have proximity fuses, they used timed fuses.

Guesstimate distance, set fuze, fire.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »
Ah, then what was that AA gun with the prox fuses. It was a land based gun, I know that, but I can't think of the name.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
Well look gents we have artillary threads abound. In all BS aside, yeah, the game play has to come to it. Hell with 1 B26, I can pickle off 100's and deack a field, unless interupted by someone. Small airfield about 4 mins. Meduim 6-7 Mins depending on approach. Large not sure, by that time alone, im loosing birds. Would liek to see it though. Just might induce some better planned out missions. Im ready for some anyway. If it actually takes more then a squad to actually run in. Maybe it might mean quiker hordes, whothe Blank knows. I dont. But my Question I guess is to the HTC if its possible?

I guess thats the point of the thread, Is it possible, and if so, could it be implented in scenerio's?