Author Topic: Meeting Gunther Rall  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Meeting Gunther Rall
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:35:01 AM »
It is true. I am in Germany now and will be meeting him on Sunday in his home town.
In the days before he is expecting some 20 Finns (!, does anyone here know anything about that?), and then it is my turn.
So, my dear forum, I will be having a friendly chat with the old guy for some time, then presumably head on to Munchen for overnighting.
So, if any of you would feed me with some questions to ask (nothing silly please or over the top) I will put them on my list. When I come home again (10 days) I shall post results etc.
I will need them ASAP so I have time to merge them with mine.  I will be trying to keep them in the time order.
The Finns had him for a visit and there is a good stack there, I will try to reach a tad further.
My main theme will be his personal experience with the combats and machinery involved.
Whoo-hoo!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
Re: Meeting Gunther Rall
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »
That is really awesome Angus.  Seriously.

I'd ask him what speeds they mostly fought at, especially late in the war.  What was his over all impression of the abilities of aircraft like the Mustang, Lightning, Spitfire (late war) and Thunderbolt.  How did he feel attacking a heavy bomber?  Was it a difficult prospect or did it not bother him?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »
ask him if allied B-17 pilots ever dive-bombed and bailed
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
Was he really feeling confident while flying the 262? or it was a tough one to master?
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
Rall already answered these questions. He said basically that they (the Germans) had 'X' minutes to fight in their planes and it was the same for the Mustang... but the Mustang did it over Berlin. Later the Mustangs learned just to wait and then when the Germans would 'RTB' the Mustangs had an easy time of it.

Thats one big difference between AH and WWII.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
A general question.. How did he and other pilots cope with steep elevation changes?  WRT their eardrums I mean.  Not an exciting question, but it'd be hard to find a better person to ask.

Thanks.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »
How did he calm down or relax between sorties?  I can guess it would be quite tough to relax, but if you did not, it would drive you crazy.

I wish I was there to ask him in person. 

Thanks
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
 I'd ask him how he dealt with the fear and if there was lasting affects.Then I'd ask what was his favorite ride and what did he call her!

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:38 PM »
It is true. I am in Germany now and will be meeting him on Sunday in his home town.
In the days before he is expecting some 20 Finns (!, does anyone here know anything about that?), and then it is my turn.
No idea who those might be, none of the forums I did a quick browse of had any mention of it so I don't think it's anyone from the online games. Maybe from the aviation museums here...

I've met mr. Rall myself some years ago when he was visiting Finland, and can't think of any good questions for him this quick. But knowing you Angus, you will get good stories from him anyway. :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »
Hehe, thanks for that ;)
Anyway, his squadron got spanked badly in the BoB and was pulled out of action within a week. I will ask if he has a clue who they were.
I will ask what he thought of the 110 and 210/410, - the 109 pilots opinion.
When he fought over Crete, I will ask if he had a drop tank and how they were (from the pilots point of view) as well as how they affected the flying characteristics.
I will also ask when they were properly available.
I will ask him what 109 was his fav, and what he named her. Markings as well.
And then the slats question just for the record  :devil
I will ask him which opponent gave him the worst fear.
And when it dawned on him that this war would not be won.
And what was in his opinion his closest call.
There will be some questions of tactics, such as which was the best 109 evasive maneuver etc etc.
I will ask him about his time in instructing, where he flew a captured Spit, P38 and P51.
I will ask about his testing flights as well. In a conversaton we had a long while ago, he mentioned flying a jet in a prone position.
I will ask about the other aces as well as the allied.
And there will be more.
Knowing that he gets very eager and tells his well formulated story, I will either try to slip the questions in, or cross them out if they get covered. If slipping in is not worth it, I´ll wait untill he finishes.
Any points acceped. I will try to build my list tomorrow night and finish it on Thusday, since I leave for Bayern on Friday.
Cheers   :aok
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
Ask him if actual pilots who did the stick-stir-land-trout move in the 190s splattered their brains from the Gs, snapped of wings,  or instantly gained control and shot down the plane chasing them.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Angus,

I'll expect a full written report on your meeting!    :x

That's a great list of question,be sure to write them down so you don't forget. :aok

I'm sure I'd be so excited I'd forget every question and embarrass myself.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
Angus did someone already answer the diving/zooming pressure question?  Do the ear drums just acclimatize after a while?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 04:53:42 PM »
Just for Stiglr, ask him if War Emergenc Power risked blowing the engine. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
I'd like to ask him how the post WWII years were, particularly between 1946-53 and how he coped both financially and psychologically.

After, I'd ask him how different the beginnings of the GAF in the 1950s was compared to the pre-WWII years. Not in regards to structuring of the airforce but attitudes and morale...
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!