Author Topic: October 3rd at 12:00pm.....Bomber Competition  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
October 3rd at 12:00pm.....Bomber Competition
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
****Project Bombs Away*****

On October 3rd at 12:00 EST AH2 will start its first bomber competition....

Great bombers are capable of hitting any target at any alt in the main arenas. With some practice its not hard and many find it gets boringly easy, in the main arena who could disagree. However, when is the last time you had to use a manual sight and fight wind? Go high enough and suddenly that hanger looks like moving target. If your one who things bombing is easy, well, here is your shot at glory. If you think bombing is boring, come watch everyone try not to miss.

The rules are...

Plane:
Every pilot gets his or her choice of available plane,formation, fuel, and ordnance load out. All planes with a level bombsite will be enabled, the Ar-234, B5N2, B-17, B-24, B-25C, B-26, Boston MkIII, Ju-88A-4, Ki-67, Lancaster, and TBM-3.

Terrain: RhineSum

Time: 14:00 with 1.00 mulitplier

Fields: 70 and 72 will have flight enabled for twenty to thirty minutes following launch signal, warning will be given. Players are strongly urged to make use of the airspawns....

Wind: Ten to twenty mph winds with realistic layers and gradients. Wind shear will be present so that bombing direction will not effect precision. Direction and strength will be unknown to the players beforehand. Practice, if available, will have wind setup that give players a chance bomb in similar conditions. Sample wind layers will be posted in the online forums a week beforehand. A small tutorial will be included for those who do not know how to adjust wind offline. The competition wind layer will be added to the arena settings and MOTD shortly before launch. The exact wind setup will be known only to the acting CM until just prior to launch.

Takeoff:
Players will air spawn at 20,000 feet from 70 or 72 only. Those who plan to bomb at lower (20k or less) altitudes are strongly urged to takeoff at 72. This is in the best interest of saving time and insuring sufficient separation at the targets.

Bombsight: The manual bomb sight mode will be in effect, beginners are welcomed but it is strongly recommended that each competitor know how it functions.

Target: Any strategic target in the A9 region, however the town, city and base are considered invalid targets. Target down time will be set so that destroyed objects respawn immediately. This will insure that multiple players cant attack the same target. All pilots must make their initial runs by T+75 for score to count. The only exception is if you run into a conflict with another player and cannot drop.

DownTimes: Troop, Flak, Refinery, Radar and Ammo factories downtime is 20 seconds

**Please use this info to prevent bombing targets before they respawn.**

Score: The score to be determined by damage divided by dropped bomb weight time altitude in thousands of feet. The winner would be determined from film, logs, and bomb damage.The formula written out would look like this...

(Damage Points/Dropped Weight) * Altitude = Score  

Highest Score Wins

The event is setup so someone can drop three 250 kg bombs from a single Ki-67 at 30,000 feet and have a equal footing with a formation of Lancasters dropping 2,000lb bombs at 10,000 feet. A combination of logs and film will verify drop altitude, bomb quantity and weight. In the interest of scoring, time, and fair competition, only one bombing run will be allowed. If you run into complications (destroyed target, joystick or otherwise) go around, and try again. Sorry, test runs or accidental drops will count as your only score, no exceptions.

The rules are long, for that I apologize, however I feel its in the best interest of getting the event going and maintaining its spirit. While this is first and foremost supposed to be a fun and enjoyable event its also a competition. I want the winner,and runner ups to know they accomplished something. Feel free to post any questions via this thread or private message...

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: October 3rd at 12:00pm.....Bomber Competition
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Sounds really cool. I hope I can make it. :) I'm familiar (albeit out of practice by about five years) with the old calibration method. This ought to be a unique challenge.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:37:18 PM »
Sounds like fun  :)
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 11:53:26 PM »
Sounds very kewl. Hope you got your calc handy.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:21:40 AM »
Interesting!

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 06:55:28 AM »
Manual bomb sight mode, so we will not be using bomb cal. , bomb mark. and then bomb cal.
Kinda like shooting from the hip..?? Interesting..

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »
Manual bomb sight mode, so we will not be using bomb cal. , bomb mark. and then bomb cal.
Kinda like shooting from the hip..?? Interesting..

ColTomb, manual mode is not that much different than what we use in the MA. As a matter of fact manual is used quite often in events and the AvA.

I dont follow "kinda like shooting from the hip"?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:34:38 AM by Strip »

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:39 AM »
As I recall, the old bombsight calibibration method is as follows:

1)F6 for bombsight

2)Bring up clipboard

3)Hit "U" key.

4)Click on intended target on clipboard to register ground altitude of target area.

5)Hold down "Y" key and use your stick to hold bombsight crosshair on a stationary point on the ground for at least ten seconds.

6) Let go of "Y" key and stick and hit "U" again to exit calibration mode.

7) Compare your true airspeed with calibrated speed for a close match (within 1mph is good). Also compare your actual altitude with your drop altitude. Within a few feet is also good.

It should be noted that a few patches ago, HTC added the climb rate into the E6B. A reading of "0" means your speed will not change. Preferably with doors open, or you can do a "hot drop" and calibrate with your doors closed-opening them at the drop point. The E6B didn't always have this, so making damn good & sure your speed was steady was a real trick back then.

Now, even I haven't had the experience with wind, so this oughtta be real interesting. :cool:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »
It's actually pretty amazing how many people don't realize there's a new calibration system. :) I got in a pretty long "fight" with a guy over it a day or so ago. Seems every time you mention it at least two guys go "WHAT?! No need to hold the point?! Preposterous!" :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
Wish I was still flying I'd be using my trusty 234. Sounds like fun!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »
Thanks thndregg...

:salute

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »
It's actually pretty amazing how many people don't realize there's a new calibration system. :) I got in a pretty long "fight" with a guy over it a day or so ago. Seems every time you mention it at least two guys go "WHAT?! No need to hold the point?! Preposterous!" :D

ummm?? You mean you dont have to? So in the MA you just hit U then hold Y and U and your done? I know you dont have to click target alt anymore. Did I miss something? I am still holding the crosshairs on the ground to calibrate.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
I'll see if SAPP would be interested in bringing their B-38s  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
Yeah.....your still using the manual bomb sight calibration method.

Just press and hold Y, and viola your calibrated.

This event will be back to the old method however.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:30 PM »
I'll see if SAPP would be interested in bringing their B-38s  :D

You mean you have a Droop Snoot and didnt share it with the rest of us!?!?

:furious