Author Topic: SOCCER WAR is coming... maybe  (Read 767 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
SOCCER WAR is coming... maybe
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:19:31 PM »
Jaeger was doing his FIRST EVER setup, and he started the procedures to load it by changing the terrain to the MINDAN09 when something broke.  Right now the AvA is closed, but once it's back up and running, we'll post the SOCCER war, as suggested by Shifty.

1969 Soccer War

Buildup

World Cup 1970 posterThis war was fought at a time when tensions between the two countries were building due to competition in the infamous qualifying games for the 1970 FIFA World Cup tournament. The first game took place in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa, with Honduras winning the game. The second game took place in the Salvadoran capital of San Salvador, with a home team win. The game was in a deadlock with each country gaining a revised sense of pride and legitimacy. The Honduran press exploited existing tensions, reporting beatings, the burning of cars, and riots by Honduran citizens in El Salvador. In the meantime, Salvadoran press exploited alleged attacks on Salvadoran immigrants by Honduran citizens and security forces.

El Salvador dissolved all ties with Honduras on 26 June 1969, stating that “the government of Honduras has not taken any effective measures to punish these crimes which constitute genocide, nor has it given assurances of indemnification or reparations for the damages caused to Salvadorans”.[3] This led to regular border clashes occurring between the two nations.

First Shots
Late in the afternoon of 14 July 1969, concerted military action began in what came to be known as the Football War. The Salvadoran Air Force (El Salvador lacked sufficient military air equipment, resorting to the use of passenger airplanes with attached vessels strapped to their sides as bombers) attacked targets inside Honduras, including the airport facility at Toncontin and other strategic places, leaving the Honduran air force almost unable to react after dropping more than 22 100-pound bombs. The Salvadoran army launched major offensives along the two main roads connecting the two nations. At first, the Salvadorans made fairly rapid progress. By the evening of 15 July, the Salvadoran army, which was considerably larger and better equipped than its Honduran opponent, had advanced into Honduras and taken the departmental capital of Nueva Ocotepeque and eight other cities. Thereafter, the attack bogged down, the Salvadorans' pace slowing. The Honduran air force's reaction included bombing the Ilopango military airport facility with four planes, but the Salvadoran military was ready and repelled the attack. Three Honduran bombs were dropped, with only one exploding and missing the targeted airport facility. The same planes also bombed an oil facility. This was the only Honduran incursion into Salvadoran soil. The Honduran bombing included the use of napalm, while the Salvadorans did not use napalm in their bombings in Honduras.

When things became desperate for the Salvadoran Air Force, a number of well-known American pilots with current experience on the P-51 Mustang were retained, including Chuck Lyford, Bob Love, Lynn Garrison, and Ben Hall. Their presence was a stabilizing factor. Their missions against the Honduran Vought F4U Corsairs marked the world's last combat between propeller driven aircraft.

During the war, the Third Military Zone of the Honduran Army was discovered to have only half of its allotted soldiers. The money for the missing troops had been collected by an apparently corrupt Honduran Army officer. Nicarauguan dictator Anastasio Somoza Debayle helped Honduras by providing weapons and ammunition.

Cease Fire
The day after the fighting had begun, the OAS met in an urgent session and called for an immediate cease-fire and a withdrawal of El Salvador's forces from Honduras. El Salvador resisted the pressures from the OAS for several days, demanding that Honduras first agree to pay reparations for the attacks on Salvadoran citizens and guarantee the safety of those Salvadorans remaining in Honduras. A cease-fire was arranged on the night of 18 July; it took full effect only on 20 July. El Salvador continued until 29 July to resist pressures to withdraw its troops. Then a combination of pressures led El Salvador to agree to a withdrawal in the first days of August. Those persuasive pressures included the possibility of OAS economic sanctions against El Salvador and the dispatch of OAS observers to Honduras to oversee the security of Salvadorans remaining in that country. The actual war had lasted just over four days, but it would take more than a decade to arrive at a final peace settlement.

Withdrawal

F4U Corsair, one of the piston types flown in the warEl Salvador, which had refused to withdraw its troops from the occupied territory in Honduras, finally withdrew its troops on 2 August 1969. On that date, Honduras guaranteed Salvadoran President Fidel Sanchez Hernandez that the Honduran government would provide adequate safety for the Salvadorans still living in Honduras. He had also asked that reparations be paid to the Salvadoran citizens as well, but was never accepted by Hondurans. There were also heavy pressures from the OAS and the debilitating repercussions that would take place if El Salvador continued to resist a withdraw of their troops from Honduras.

The war is often cited as the last occasion on which piston-engined fighters fought each other, both sides deploying former World War II and Korean War American aircraft. Cavalier F-51D Mustangs, F4U-1, -4 and -5 Corsairs, T-28A Trojans, AT-6C Texans and even C-47 Skytrains converted into bombers saw action.

Map: Original AVA Battle of Aces Map

Settings: All standard AVA for dar and damage

Visability: 16 miles

Honduras

F4U-4

SBD sub for T28 and AT-6

C-47

El Salvador

P-51D

F4U-1D

C-47

SBD sub for AT-6

GVs for both sides

M3

M4

M16
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: SOCCER WAR is coming... maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 11:40:53 PM »
Map: Original AVA Battle of Aces Map

Settings: All standard AVA for dar and damage

Visability: 16 miles

Honduras

F4U-4

SBD sub for T28 and AT-6

C-47

El Salvador

P-51D

F4U-1D

C-47

SBD sub for AT-6

GVs for both sides

M3

M4

M16

I would like to make one request if at all possible.......... can the AvsA Staff start including the Chess Piece for each particular side in the MOTD when ya'l set these up?

example:
Honduras = Bishops ( or Knights, or Rooks )

vs

El Salvador = Knights ( or Rooks, or Bishops)

seldom is it when one logs in to the AvsA does it say which side(chess piece ) is Allied and which is Axis

I have sometimes switched literally 3 times before I got to where I wanted to play from....... like if you log in and are in the unused country...u switch to another, just to find you wanted to be on the last country/chess piece to begin with...but the MOTD did not list what was what...... :frown:

just saying   :cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
btw.... Jeager this sounds like it'll be a fun change of pace from the other AvsA setups..... unique and different for sure.......

:aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »
we're trying, thats all i can say! and the whole idea was shifty's so hopefully we'll see him flying in there!

As for the chess pieces, we'll fix that when the arena comes back up. Right now nothing is set up so we can't post it. relax boys, we'll get there  :)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »
Cool Jager, I'll be in there this week to fly both Corsairs.
You should tell those Pony pukes you fly FSO with in the 353rd as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 07:06:08 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
WOW; My old setup is still in the possible rotation! I can't believe it after all this time that the thing that was hated by so many may be making a comeback in there. Gonna have to make time for the AVA this week if its running.

I love it!!!!

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,98822.0.html

When we were thinking about using a different map...
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,150464.msg1674822.html#msg1674822

Hmmmm and one that I NEVER saw way back in 2003 when we dreamed it up. Apparently they ran a Snapshot for the Soccer War back in the early days.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,23772.0.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:36:42 PM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"