Author Topic: Jaeger nice touch on no icons.  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Jaeger nice touch on no icons.
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:40:57 PM »
Jaeger the no icons thing is a blast with the current setup.
When you asked me if I could see enemy icons I didn't realize you had turned them off. I was closing on Midway in my A6M2.I look over my shoulder and thought what the hell is that black thing? The black thing became a blue F4F that started shooting and nearly clobbered me. It was a freaking hoot.
<S>

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Jaeger nice touch on no icons.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »
its more fun to see the reaction when theres no warning, but sorry anyway hehehe. have fun with it for now! :D

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
its more fun to see the reaction when theres no warning, but sorry anyway hehehe. have fun with it for now! :D

No harm I got out of his way and reversed my fortune. I have to say it's very enjoyable so far. I can see how it might not be for everyone, but it's something that folks should try.
I know there are a lot of strong opinions on the subject. However it was pretty cool having to strain to pick up those blue F4Fs against the water, and the naked feeling I got tooling around in a light grey A6M2. It also causes you to get in close before pulling the trigger you don't want to waste your precious cannon rounds if your not sure you're within 200 yards. I haven't got to fly the 50 cal armed F4F with the icons off yet looking forward to it this evening. It really does put new strain on your SA and adds some more excitement. YMMV.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:31:13 PM »
Gambit and I joined in on the fun also  :O  The blue skin on the Wildcat definitely was an advantage.  Very hard to tell flight paths, but fun all the same  :salute

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »
Gambit and I joined in on the fun also  :O  The blue skin on the Wildcat definitely was an advantage.  Very hard to tell flight paths, but fun all the same  :salute
Its made up for by the a6m's usual #'s advantage and performance.

I loved the no icon's as well.
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline WMGambit

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
:aok

Offline DEEC0NX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
Just got done flying with some guys in there, and I have to say, first few sorties reminded me of my first time trying to play MA Aces High! But after a few, I picked up on it quite well, and was landing kills  :joystick: All in all, a fun thing!

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:09 PM »
Its made up for by the a6m's usual #'s advantage and performance.

I disagree. For the few sorties I got to fly the Wildcat and I'd rather have it and it's firepower over the Zeke. Not to mention the toughness of the Grumman. I would have liked to flown the F4F more but the Allies had the numbers until thing evened out around 9:45 EST. I think it's a great matchup and turning the enemy icons off made it feel realistic and less gamey. One of the coolest parts of the night was I had my own Saburo Sakai moment. I dove on a F4F that was skimming the waves BC followed me down. The F4F made no evasive allowing me to get in good and close. Then bam I'm getting nailed by machine gun fire. My pigeon F4F turned out to be Gizmo in a TBM. That was very cool and wouldn't have happened with any other settings.

It wasn't hard to distinguish an F4F from a P-40 or SBD. I hope this continues in the AVA. Personally I believe the setups with a limited number of plane types will work well with these settings and be very interesting. I think friendly icons should remain on though to allow for six calls and mutual support. I don't know if no icons will work in he SEA, but I think it's a good thing for the AVA. YMMV
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:41:54 PM by Shifty »

Offline wsveum

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »
I try the AvA today for about 4 1/2 hours and I like the idea of no enemy icons. I'm not much good at the flying but I did like it anyway  :aok
Aka: Bison
AKA: Bison

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »
I try the AvA today for about 4 1/2 hours and I like the idea of no enemy icons. I'm not much good at the flying but I did like it anyway  :aok
Aka: Bison

Bison you were holding your own very well early when there was just a few of us and you were at a disadvantage.  Keep at it and you'll be as good as anybody.
It was good flying with you this evening.
<S>

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:17:32 PM »
Now that was cool and a lot of fun...would be even more fun with better Zekes <hint> <hint>...or maybe some german and brit aircraft? :D

jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
Looks like a hit.

I only got to fly a little while, but had a blast.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
Now that was cool and a lot of fun...would be even more fun with better Zekes <hint> <hint>...or maybe some german and brit aircraft? :D

shouldve stayed a bit longer there gyrene hehehe.

it was a great night tonight! for fun, i lowered the friendly icons to 700yds so it made it that much more challenging. Every one had a great time and id like to personally thank all of you for both participating and for making comments on the boards.

Stay tuned, lots more to come.

<S> to everyone
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:17:47 PM by captain1ma »

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
Was in tonight.
  Thank you.
 Very good time.Lots of action in spite of the arss whipping I got I had a blast . Good group of guys in there too.  :aok
~S~
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 11:25:59 PM »
Jaeger very nice job with the setup. Ive been flying the MA alot lately and it was awesome to have a little something different. I found myself looking back more than usual, bobing, and weaving out of sheer terror that I had overlooked one of those low flying almost invisable enemy aircraft.
In the turn fite I kept loosing my oponents and had to extend to regroup. Good times - you fellers that put your time into setting these things up keep up the good work. Much appreciated.

Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek