Author Topic: My experience with the TM HOTAS Warthog in Aces High II.  (Read 20228 times)

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
My experience with the TM HOTAS Warthog in Aces High II.
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »
Teej & I flew a short formation demonstration with the Warthog for the press at the preview event on Tuesday. We were there Whack, Gunner, and Panther from our team - it was a great event.

SimHQ at E3Expo 2010 - Hands-on: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Controller

It was a private/invite only event, so they had us wear flight suits to add to the feel of the presentation, we don't go around in public wearing those!

Game Nexus - E3 2010: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/thrustmaster-unveils-its-perfect-replica-hotas-warthog-flight-co/

SimHQ Forums: Teej's comments about the HOTAS Warthog from the preview at E3Expo 2010

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3032602/4.html

Everyone was really scrambling to get the venue ready for the event on time. We, along with the crew from Thrustmaster and SC Simulations, spent most of Monday night and all of Tuesday getting everything setup. We encountered several, potentially show stopping technical difficulties along the way, and as a result we had very little time to practice. After Thrustmaster wrapped up their powerpoint presentation of the Warthog, they turned it over to Teej & I for our formation demo.

We did a few loops and rolls, and then a formation landing. It was a little distracting having everyone watching and the cameramen filming over my shoulder, but we flew very well and TM really liked the demo. It demonstrated the precision of the controllers - I can lock in that sight picture much easier with the Warthog. Although we only managed to get about 20 minutes of practice in the pits there, we have spent the last few weeks beta testing the Warthog, so at least we had some stick time upon arrival at the event.

It is an outstanding HOTAS right out of the box, I am extremely impressed. You can really feel the precision while flying with it. In Aces High II it really helps with gunnery and flying on the edge of the stall break. The stick has a resolution along the X and Y axis of 65,556 and 16,500 resolution on the throttle thanks to the hall sensors. I can squeeze on G's down to the 1/100th without any spiking. Since the stick doesn't have any gimbals, it has a very smooth and fluid feel throughout the range of movement. There is absolutely zero center play. There is no X / Y axis transition clunk that's found in most other sticks. The stick effort increases symmetrically in all directions, there isn't any of that odd uneven stick force you experience with a stick with gimbals as you move it around. The weighted base plate is held to the round base by 4 screws and is easily removable, very nice feature for cockpit builders.

As for the throttle, there is absolutely no "sticktion". The adjustable friction wheel works very well and you're able to make extremely fine corrections without the throttle jumping/sticking. It stays where you put it though, so you don't have to worry about it falling to the stops or creeping forward/backward, even at the lightest friction setting.

The other night I flew in the dueling arena with the Warthog, my first test with it in Aces High II. I was going head to head with Dodger and Bighorn/Texture in the P-38. I was experimenting with the dual throttle action and seeing how it might give me an edge over a '38 driver without dual throttles. I was surprised to find that it does make for some very impressive slow speed over the top hammerhead style reversals - my adversaries were impressed and I pulled off more than a few snapshots thanks to my careful management of the throttles. While it seemed to be very useful in certain situations, it was also very easy to get carried away; my mismanagement of the throttles at the wrong time sent the airplane into some wild yaw-induced departure stalls. However, with some more practice I think I'll most certainly have the edge over a pilot that doesn't have split throttles.

The whole setup just feels great to fly with, I gave it a good workout. As everyone knows, there's an impressive amount of stick and throttle work involved in those slow speed stall fights! The Warthog handled it nicely and I wasn't fatigued after the fights.

I am extremely impressed with the out of the box Warthog. I don't see any need to modify it in any way. The throttle and stick movements are flawless and the feel of the buttons is great. There are very few moving parts to wear out, so I expect it will be very reliable. I really don't have anything bad to say about the Warthog so far - I've been trying to find something that I don't like but I can't find anything to pick apart. It'll be very nice to have the hall sensors in the stick and throttle, so the precision will remain over time and won't spike like worn out potentiometers. There isn't any slop or play in the stick, it seems to be a very solid design.

The programming software is very slick - much easier than the Foxy programming, although you can still get that in depth with it if you choose. It seems to be designed to be easy to work with for people new to programming software, but also allows extreme customization for those more familiar with such.

They've done an excellent job with this HOTAS, they set the bar with the Cougar, and they've raised it very high with the Warthog. I honestly believe it is the best HOTAS ever made. It will be well worth the money and I highly doubt anyone is going to want to modify it - it's just that good.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:03:19 AM by Skuzzy »
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: My experience with the TM HOTAS Warthog in Aces High II.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »
I'm not impressed by the ergonomics of the throttle one bit.

But being the most elite stick in AH2, 2009 ToC champion and highest kill streak record holder without a death. They can send me one for testing. kkthx
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:33:16 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
Looks nice.
but price wise. Far too rich for my blood...or my wallet
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »
I'm not impressed by the ergonomics of the throttle one bit.

But being the most elite stick in AH2, 2009 ToC champion and highest kill streak record holder without a death. They can send me one for testing. kkthx

yawn.....just so you know I'm not impressed with your "virtual" resume either.

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

Thanks for sharing VTB_Ray I appreciate it and I am sure many others here do as well.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:37:49 PM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
It's more impressive then flying around in formation all day, lols.

Haters going to hate.

Thanks for the review btw.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:25:28 PM by Kazaa »

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:29:48 AM »
Thanks for the review. Sounds like it clearly surpasses the original Cougar.

Have you ever used a Uber NXT modded Cougar? If so, how do you think the sticks compare?

I've been called best bait and have perfected the art of tower ramming. I guess that makes me just as eligible for a test unit as well. I'll keep an eye on the doorstep.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Good review, I think I will still buy one when it comes out.

I've said it before, but having a dual throttle set up will not suddenly make you an expert in the P38 (look at me for example). There are a few places where having a dual throttle is nice, I've pasted the list below.

1. Throttling down one engine to compensate for a missing wing, you can fly straight and level with this.

2. Great hammerheads, you can really squeeze every last bit of energy out of the plane and can reverse very quickly.

3. Immersion (AKAK quote).

4. Spin recovery.

5. Making great 'donuts' on the runway.

6. Out of plane, last ditch efforts (cut one engine and roll it hard).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »
Is there anything that you don't like about this HOTAS?

Offline Cobra516

• Copper Member
      • Virtual Thunderbirds
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:34:14 PM »
Is there anything that you don't like about this HOTAS?
So far there isn't anything I don't like about it.
Have you ever used a Uber NXT modded Cougar? If so, how do you think the sticks compare?
Posted here http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3032602/3.html

By Joe: "No, it is much lighter and smoother. It feels fantastic, better than my NXT-modded Cougar gimbals."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 06:38:57 PM by Cobra516 »
Slipping the surly bonds.

"Ray" #3 Right Wing
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:41:37 AM »
How's the programming software?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »
How are the ergonomics of both pieces?
Like Kazaa when I first saw the throttle I didn't think it looked very ergonomic. The more I look at it though the more I question that first impression.

How well can you reach all the buttons and switches on both? How do all the buttons and switches feel, are any difficult to operate?

Thank you Ray, for your time and insight. (You lucky dog)

To whom it may concern at Thrustmaster. I'm a mediocre cartoon pile-it at best, hardcore flight simmer. I fly everything from Camels to modern jet fighters, and I would be willing to test a Warthog HOTAS set up to give you that street level everyday Joe viewpoint.  :aok  :D
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
How's the programming software?

ack-ack
I thought the review said there was none, just set up in Windows or something.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
If you look at the first link he poster provided, it has pics of the software.

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/images/all_101c_008.jpg

http://www.simhq.com/_commentary/images/all_101c_009.jpg
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 01:28:49 AM »
Where is the switch to lock the throttles together?

Can you enable the switch easily with one hand on the fly?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:15 AM »
There is also a video up in the hands-on section that shows someone using the throttle and how that person is able to reach buttons and switches on the throttle.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"