Author Topic: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells  (Read 2755 times)

Offline JBJB710

• Zinc Member
Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
Do you think you can fix the B-25 Mitchells so they can take off from an aircraft carrier like in this picture below (as an example):
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 03:34:50 PM by JBJB710 »
Cipher (a.k.a. "The Demon Lord")
108th Tactical Fighter Squadron
"Wardog Squadron"

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
Re: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »
Why?

16 B-25s took off from Hornet in 1942. No carrier-launched B-25 raid was ever done again...

Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
A 1 time suicide run basically trying to boost morale for the US.
B Severely stripped down and up fueled B25's with minor bomb loads.
C Did I mention no defensive guns?
D If you want to work at it hard enough, I suspect it can be done as is.
Easy, no, it won't be easy, those guys practiced for months!

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
EDIT:: Ok, so yes, original comment removed. Hasty comments often are bad. I am sorry.

Just please, please, PLEASE! Do a little research before you make a request! And if you dont know where to start, just drop a thread in the general discussion, and we would be more than happy to help you learn.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:05:50 PM by DEECONX »

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »
How old are you?

What is your IQ?

Do you just google WW2 aircraft images in your spare time?

Have you ever read a book?

Have you ever watched a documentary?

These a just a few of many questions you might want to consider about yourself before spammINg our forums.

Have a nice day.

Folks like you who flame just to flame are as bad as the OP.

How old are you?
What is your IQ?
What have you done to try and help make the game better?

If you don't have anything constructive to say, see yourself the bloody hell out of here.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »
     Who died and made you hallway monitor?  :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »
How old are you?

What is your IQ?

Do you just google WW2 aircraft images in your spare time?

Have you ever read a book?

Have you ever watched a documentary?

These a just a few of many questions you might want to consider about yourself before spammINg our forums.

Have a nice day.

You don't have to be that mean.  It is obvious he is new to the AH forum and maybe new playing it too. 

JBJB710,  This will most likely not happen because it was a one time event that took place.  AH staff wants only AC that saw a lot of action and production was high.  We are lucky to have the P-47-M (only 130 produced) and F4U-4 (i think over 200 or 400 produced) and Th-152H1 (only about 43 where enter into service) and Ar 234 (i believe less the 200 produced) do to its low production number and combat actions. 
Other AC that we will mostly not see do to low production or limited action:

F7F Tigercat: Was put into service but never saw any action.

190D-11:  A sexy bird that could have cause all sort of problems to the allies, but got out to late with only seven made. 
190D-12,13:  Another AC that could gave the allies all sort of problems.  It is unclear how many where developed or if any did saw action.  They where to be assigned to JG-26.

Gloster Meteor:  British first turbo engine AC that did saw action, but vary little and only about less the 10 was put into service. 

Bell P-59 Airacomet: U.S first turbo engine AC that only had 50 or 60 into service.  It was going to make its first combat mission hours before Germany surrenders. 

B-32 Dominator:  Nice long range heavy bomber that only flew three missions, recon, and i believe it was created for the last IJ kill before japan surrenders. 

There are a few more but hopefully you understand why the B-25 off the carrier will not happen on AH. 

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
All I'm saying is this guy has requested everything to be requested over and over, and probably never taken a second to look the information up. A 5 minute search would have told him that we shouldnt have CV capable B-25's. But no, he sees a picture of a B-25 taking off from a carrier and immediately opens up a thread in the Wishlist. Harsh, maybe, but I have been patient with this guy in the past. Line has to be drawn somewhere.

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »
well thats a good pic there but its the only time the b25 took off a carrier in WW2 .there is a way you can take a b25 off a cv. you have to take off from another base and land on the cv , when you land there will be space behind you left, to back up simply put a little pressure on throttle and you will slowly back up wait til tail end is hanging over edge, stop, deploy all flaps and stay to the left of cv so your wings dont clip the bridge and you will take off with no problem. btw you will rearm and refuel once your stopped at end of cv deck

RedTail

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:05:49 PM »
Harsh, maybe, but I have been patient with this guy in the past. Line has to be drawn somewhere.

How exactly is this your problem?

JBJB710 if you want to take off from a CV in a B-25 you just have to land on it first.  :D

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »
How exactly is this your problem?

JBJB710 if you want to take off from a CV in a B-25 you just have to land on it first.  :D

That can be done!  Can you still land a B-24, 17 or lanc on them too?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 05:31:07 PM »
EVERYBODY COUNT TO TEN...

Now you made me go down an interesting tangent here Ghosth.  An interesting idea would be to add a "modified" version of the Mitchell, with relatively the same modeling as it was IRL.  AND... A small perk so it does not become habit for some people, and give us a sorta sense of the suicide those boy's felt.  And now the cv group that is deep in hostile waters would be able to add some heavies to a land assault.  A perked, stripped B25C that, if upped, would probably have an important role to play in the coming attack here in the AH world.  Add to the gameplay, dare I say?

A 1 time suicide run basically trying to boost morale for the US.
B Severely stripped down and up fueled B25's with minor bomb loads.
C Did I mention no defensive guns?
D If you want to work at it hard enough, I suspect it can be done as is.
Easy, no, it won't be easy, those guys practiced for months!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MonkGF

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
It was possible to take a B-25 off from a CV in Air Warrior if it was properly configured, although when I tried to run my Doolittle snapshot it didn't work out quite so well online and I ended up having to move the takeoff base to a land base about the same distance away from the target.

For those who don't think there is any reason at all for this. Not a big reason mind you, but still...
-- Greg Stelmack
-- Ex-AW pilot, Gunfighters Squadron

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »
You don't actually have to land on it.  You can go in offline and practice from there. I just did after getting repeatedly smoked by my own ack. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »
Pretty much any bomber can land on a CV and take off again, in fact planes like the B17, B24, and Lanc's are incredibly easy to land and relaunch because of their slow landing speeds and huge flaps. I actually landed and relaunched a B24 off of a CV with only 3 engines before.

Now about the wish, as said before only a handful of B25s ever took off from a CV and it was only once during the war as a special mission. The B25 is not a CV aircraft and as such will never be able as a normal CV plane during MA operations, now special events might be a different story.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF