Author Topic: Dicta Tusk supplemental - Dr1 intel coup  (Read 1341 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
Dicta Tusk supplemental - Dr1 intel coup
« on: October 16, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
New intelligence on the Fokker Dr1 now available thanks to an enemy pilot defection.  Unable to accrue the usual dozen or so kills on his first sortie the young Leutnant, overcome with shame and subjected to ridicule by his Jasta decided to spend the rest of the war in a POW camp rather than face his comrades again. Thus were we lucky enough to have a fully airworthy example of this machine fall into our hands, along with the official Luftstreitkräfte Aircraft Handbook, which appears translated into English below (our translator turned out to be Norwegian, not German, but apparently did his best).

Airmachine Operator Notes - Fokker Dr1

Combustionmachine beginning:

1. Bring fuel into the combustionmachine as turning the gasoline dick counter to the direction of the clock.
2. Setting of the mixture wealthy with much pushing of the lever toward the wealthy indication.
3. Make the sparking into the combustionmachine with sparking change to 'ON'. 
4. Speaking the attendant loudly with 'touch me' his hand to put on (swinging thing?) and pushing violently. 
5. Combustionmachine running away screaming, speaking the attendant loudly 'chocs away'. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.

Taking off the airmachine upward:

1. Taking stick in hand to move back and forth and side to side rapidly, making airmachine upward rapidly go. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.

Fighting enemy airmachine:

1. Pointing airmachine at enemy using hand on stick vigorously and feet on tailpushingbar heavily to quickly enemy airmachine near machineguns from any angles bring. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.
2. Hydrogen in wings making Dr1 upward even when enemy falling. Caution - many holes in Dr1 wings making Dr1 flying normally if pilot letting gas come out. Three wings Dr1 pilot still laughing out loud.
3. Abundant ammunition making pilot aiming not concerned. Machineguns on fire many times bring down more enemy airmachines. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.
4. Diving turning velocity very great airmachine shake wings stay good glue good wood good controls good pilot rejoicing. Airmachine good not breaking wind. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.
5. If losing every height turn flat near trees keeping turn quickly pulling hard stick. Very soon comes enemy airmachine near machineguns on fire or pilot enemy airmachine corrupts tree. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.

Landing:

1. Abundant holes in wings make hydrogen gas out, airmachine better easily downcoming softly touching grass. No holes - make combustionmachine stopping gasoline, swing dick direction of clock. Dr1 pilot laughing out loud.

RFC Additional: One of our top test pilots took the captured Dr1 up for assessment, but has not returned. Last seen heading east at low level.
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: Dicta Tusk supplemental - Dr1 intel coup
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »
Great stuff.   :aok :rofl :aok :rofl
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 12:57:05 AM »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:31 AM »
I am thankful that i was not drinking anything when i read this.........on that note....what were you drinkingt when you thought of it...?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »
LOL
 :aok

"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
 :rofl again...
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
ILOLED!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »

"Excellent work Her Fokker.... now even the pilots who suck can shoot down those RFC schweinhund in their Camels and F2b's hahahar"

A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »
Great writing as usual Tusk...

Your posts are the stuff of good threads.  Obviously, underneath it all, the fm issue comes to the surface.  With the current plane set, the way we fight in the wwi arena favors the DR until a pilot gets really good in one of the other three planes available.  To get good, you have to die some in front of a DR.  Most folks have trouble taking the ego out of flying and dying a lot in order to gain the required experience.

Then there are folks, a bunch in fact, that simply like the DR for either historic reasons or for the way it handles.  They should not feel guilty about flying a DR.  I'm not one of those, but have liked the plane and enjoy flying it.

I know you have flown in a number of wwi sims.  In the first one I visited (to many years ago - was almost young then), the camel was far and away the plane of choice...until some folks started exploring b'nz flying.  Took a little more patience, but you could not catch a carefully flown Se5 with a camel and the result was that they could peck you to death in your camel.  Was very frustrating for camel pilots...got people into other rides.

I carried a camel bias into another sim...and, in that sim the camel did not have the slot between the wings.  I felt like I was flying stone blind.  You could always look over the top wing of a DR...so we went there and had great fun.

About 10 years ago...the PS was a powerful squad, you might recall that time and place.  We sometimes had 30 people in the arena flying together.  Our CO at the time was Skarp, who flew here for a few weeks when this game was first introduced.  This same issue was alive then...everyone in a camel. Skarp decided to take the consensus (at that time) worst fighter in that plane set, the F2B, and fly it for a TOD.  What a surprise, he got good at it and that plane proved a match for anything if flown within its strengths.  We see that in this arena when "X" gets in the same plane.  We used to call it the "Kung Pao Raider".  There was an evening when Mano, Sleepy (you remember VonSleep), and several others got in F2B and attacked the large pack of camels and DR's fighting at the traditional furball field until they came on channel 100 and asked us to please go away...they could not effectively fight a pack of Kung Pao Raiders.

Everything you say and imply is true. The DR is easier to fly successfully, once you learn the basics; for most people learning to fly wwi planes and even the greater number learning these specific fm's when they already know how to fly wwi planes.  The AH version is still very young.  There are usually too few people in the arena for even small effective furball action.  Each of the planes has distinct advantages.  If the arena continues to grow and evolve, there may well be a night when the DR guys ask the F2B pilots to please fly at another field - they have already been asked not to use the tail gun.

The down side of the DR dominance is if all the best pilots are in DR's and they decide to run up stats killing newer less experienced pilots...the arena could go empty before it matures and pilots learn how to fly the other rides.  Of course, that is really more a behavior issue for the most experienced pilots.

Sorry to be so long winded.  My only point is that even with a mature set of pilots and evolved game, there are those who enjoy flying the DR for a number of valid reasons other than killing a bunch of new pilots.  Those pilots should not be embarrassed to be out there with three wings.  An arena-wide perspective like that would be an equal deterrent to the evolution of the arena.

Sure enjoy your posts I do.

One

Offline Liberator

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
 :rofl

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
Thanks onerka and  :salute You have a perceptive and level overview of the state of events. Don't take my rants too seriously, I'm actually quite happy to have something to harp on about. So long as there's a hint of a precedent out there (or at least a valid excuse) for a poor old plodder like me in a Camel to face shoot a top gun Dr1 jockey in a 1v1 merge.... there's about two dozen of the little monkeys now (that can pretty much kill me and not break a sweat) so I don't really want to be forced to play by their rules. I'm a reasonable shot, and I don't see why I shouldn't maximise that advantage at first contact. At the very least it gets them jinking and bleeding E rather than whipping straight up and over onto my six. If you bring a Dr1 to a fight, you'd better expect a full-on fight for survival response, at least from us Camel drivers.... all in good fun, of course  :) 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
Thanks onerka and  :salute You have a perceptive and level overview of the state of events. Don't take my rants too seriously, I'm actually quite happy to have something to harp on about. So long as there's a hint of a precedent out there (or at least a valid excuse) for a poor old plodder like me in a Camel to face shoot a top gun Dr1 jockey in a 1v1 merge.... there's about two dozen of the little monkeys now (that can pretty much kill me and not break a sweat) so I don't really want to be forced to play by their rules. I'm a reasonable shot, and I don't see why I shouldn't maximise that advantage at first contact. At the very least it gets them jinking and bleeding E rather than whipping straight up and over onto my six. If you bring a Dr1 to a fight, you'd better expect a full-on fight for survival response, at least from us Camel drivers.... all in good fun, of course  :) 

when i get into a fight with a dr1, i just fall outta the sky....much like described in your "top tips for camel drivers" thread.  :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
We'll try to keep it down and dirty so you don't fall far :).

Don't mind HO's...experienced pilots should duck or turn or at least wiggle anyway, and if the HO shot is held too long, you are behind in the inevitable circle.  Camel does have good guns.  A guy has to use what he has.

Hope for more large fur balls.  Seems like camel does a lot better in those situations...for whatever reason.

They have nice guns they do!

One 

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »
Hope for more large fur balls.  Seems like camel does a lot better in those situations...for whatever reason.

Hard to control a Dr1 when you're laughing to tears.

Camel does have good guns.

Yeah, and half the Dr1's ammo loadout. Even cannons wouldn't make much difference, if you can't bring them to bear they may as well be water pistols.... and if the Dr1 driver has half a brain, you won't get a shot in after the merge.

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
LOL...all true, but the guns are nice they are...the DR guns kinda go putt, putt, putt as the bullets fly by your head (hopefully not through your head).  Camel guns are far more distinctive they are.  Nice guns!

I dunno, I think you find more careless DR guys in a fur ball...maybe that works for some of us flying camels.  Maybe its only more target fixated pilots, but since most of them are in DR's...buffered by a sense of security with three wings...maybe.  Maybe blind squirrels can find nuts, no doubt pigs can find truffles, but then we are pledged to squish any truffle-smelling pig we find. 

We are gonna work this out Tusk...it may take several years and iterations of the fm's...but we are very stubborn we are.

Flying with and against some of the higher ranking pilots, it looks like ammo disparity...the goodness of the connect, or whatever causes that...may have an even more telling effect on the outcome of a fight, at least once everyone knows how to fly.  There are a few pilots who can simply look at you and your plane explodes.  No doubt they would do well in whatever ride.  I doubt this can ever be removed from these sims since it's probably inherent in the framework that supports our game.  Personally, as the sim evolves that will no doubt be more troublesome than differences in fm's.  But, and even regardless, we will work on this camel thing.  Can't let Mano get better than us in anything we can't...and he is doing the CAMEL.  Therefore, CAMEL we will, worry about stats we won't.

One