Author Topic: Late! Late! Late! Finally - AH Stats 2010  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Late! Late! Late! Finally - AH Stats 2010
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
1. Introduction - Methods & Definitions
2. Arena Data
3. LWMA Plane Usage & K/Ds
4. Vehicles in LWMA

1. Introduction - Methods & Definitions

A few days late, but here it is: The AH Stats 2010. Not as detailed as I had planned, but I ran into some trouble, so I decided to publish the finished part now. I hope to be able of making some additions later.

First, two very important definitions:
Active Player - Every Pilot ID that had at least one kill or one death during a tour. We have several hundred ID's per tour without any kills or deaths, for the most part these a trial accounts that never manage to get their plane of the ground. I was not able to track those, nor do they play any role in the AH world.
Usage The sum of kills and death of a plane/GV as a rough measure of gameplay impact and... well, usage ;)

Numbers Format: In some tables the  point "." is being used as a decimal mark, not the comma "," This is how it works over here...  :old:

All data was compiled from public sources, namely the Stats & Score webpages. I do not guarantee for the correctness of my numbers or conclusion. Actually I would bet there are still some errors in it. I will try to correct them as the reports are coming in.

2. Arena Data

Where are the players spending their time?
Due to the difficulties I had tracking  this for a whole year, first December 2010 as an example:

All but DA & SEA numbers were taken directly form the player's scores. DA is a very loose estimation based purely on observing the login numbers during that month, I reckon actual number may differ up to 50% - but it's precise enough to get a rough ballpark number.
Similar goes for the SEA, it's a rough (and quite optimistic) estimation based on SEA logs, I hope to give a precise number at a later point.

Here now a closer look at the main arena activity index' :

You can note the tremendous impact the new towns had on EW arena, and how the numbers came back (not just in players but also in kills=combat!) after the 50%+flag rule was introduced. It's a prime example how changes in gameplay mechanism can impact population
 behaviour.

--

As the LW main arena is THE heart of AH activity (very few player do never fly there, and even the majority those who "are here just for special events" spend more time there than anywhere else), it may be interesting to take a look at it's Activity Index over the past years:

The big arena split happened in Tour 80. Score was split up in tour 93, removing EW & MW from chart above. The new towns appeared in tour 126, the off-hours arena format was introduced in tour 130, tour 131 saw the capture rules changed to 50%/white flag

-----------------------------------

Now, that does actually happen in the three mains, EW, MW LW? What do the players do? I went and summed up all sorties, kills etc. by all players for all tours (almost 70,000 score sheets btw :x):

The numbers are self explaining for the most part. For bombers, I arbitrarily set "mission"=2.5 sorties to account for the fact most bomber sorties are flown in formation mode. Time/mission is given in minutes. (yes, the average sortie duration is really that short)

--------------------------------

And finally.... base captures in Late War

("by M3" should actually read: by GV, because course SdKfz and Jeeps are included there too)

This chart is based on all recorded base captures, that means all captures a player go credit for. You can see the big impact the changes in towns, capture rules and arena format had on the rate of base captures. a rate that had previously been quite steady for years.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Late! Late! Late! Finally - AH Stats 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »
3. LWMA Plane Usage & K/Ds

This year I had planned to do the following analysis for all main arenas. Unfortunately I found some individuals/squads used the sparsely populated minor arenas for some fishy things, which massively skewed the plane/GV numbers (P-40B suddenly became the prime T-34 killer in EW  :rolleyes:)
At first I tried to remove the biggest incongruities, but then I decided to drop those arenas entirely. You can thank those guys who think they have to perk farm by killing their ENY 5 plane flying squaddies 30 times in an ENY 30 ride... within a few minutes.

-------------------

LWMA Plane Usage

Nothing really surprising this year. The P-51D still leads the field, this year by a comfortable margin. more notable is that the La-7 has finally made it's way back near the top, a place that it had lost for some time after it's remodelling.
Oh, and of course the Usage number isn't really working for the Ar 234 and Mossie 16, planes that are usually being flown in such a way that they do register neither kill or death.

Fighter Usage by airframe families

Often we do not discern the different sub models from each other when fighting in the MA. We just hear (&read) "lots of Jugs inbound", "nothing but Spits over there at A14" and so on. So do I now:

Fighter K/D

Another non-surprise: The Tempest is still king and the poor old P-40B is still at the bottom. And as usual, the perked Spit 14 is seeing it's perked brothers from far away only.
The two top non-perked rides are both examples how a small but dedicated group of pilots can influence the overall K/D, both planes are not being used much by the general AH populace.

All I see are dweeb planes.... or do I not?

Fighter usage by ENY, another pretty much self explaining chart.

-------------------------------

4. Vehicles in the LWMA

We already have seen how much of their time the AH players do spend in GVs. But which kind of vehicles do see the most action? Here is the Usage data for them:

With the introduction of three new tanks, some perk point adjustments and the elimination of a few very persistent & annoying bugs, the ground war has seen some significant change: Here is how the tank usage has changed:

The M4A3(76) has quickly become THE main tank of AH. In that context it's necessary to pint out that the bigger part of it's Usage share is made up of kills, while the Panzer's still big Usage share is mostly made up of deaths. The M4A3(76) was on it's way to become a very dominant factor on the battlefield when a tiny price tag of 1 perk did stop than development (I have to admit, I would had never expected a single perk point having such an impact)

The big "loser" is the Sherman VC, once the scare of the battlefield it's a rare sight nowadays. Higher perk price, fixing of the top armor bug the Tiger suffered from most and the new M4(76) and Panther are the reasons for this.

Tank Deaths

One of the most common complains in AH is about all that bombers ruining GV battles. In particular it's the Lancasters that carpet bomb spawns and are divebombing single tanks... at leats that's one may think by reading this BBS. But what does really kill tanks in AH?

I examined the cause of deaths for the two most used tanks, the M4(76) and the Panzer IV:

As you can see, only a minority of tanks are being killed by planes at all.

Top airborne tank killers

The top 20 airborne tank killers are:

To get put things into perspective, only about 0.6% (!) of all Pz & M4(76) deaths in 2010 had been by Lancasters!

-----------------------------

That's it for now. Have I missed something? Something else necessary? I made an error? You tell me!  :cheers:

:airplane:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 02:40:12 PM by Lusche »

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:03:12 PM »
Awesome. And the synth-pop in your sig makes a great soundtrack to read that with.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:13:52 PM »
Nice Lusche!!!!  :rock :rock :rock :rock

The only thing I would modify if you still can is the chart on plane usage.  Pull back the Percentage Axis to 1-2% so we can see some more disparity between the usage in that graph.

Other than that superb job.  Lots of great information in there.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
NThe only thing I would modify if you still can is the chart on plane usage.  Pull back the Percentage Axis to 1-2% so we can see some more disparity between the usage in that graph.

I chose the axis scale so both charts would have the same one.

But here is the second one with the lower half of the planeset in higher resolution:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:25:11 PM »
I chose the axis scale so both charts would have the same one.

But here is the second one with the lower half of the planeset in higher resolution:

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah I noticed that but I couldn't read it as result.  That looks a lot better I can compare the mid ranged of planes a lot better.  Thx.   :aok

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:37:31 PM »
thanks Lusche

Could you tell me the exact % of spit14 usage in LWMA Plane Usage graph? Number are small it's hard to see.

thanks again
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
Could you tell me the exact % of spit14 usage in LWMA Plane Usage graph? Number are small it's hard to see.

0.29%

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
0.29%

thanks, that must be me and a few noobs who are discovering that it does not handle like other spits.  :)
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
There came up one question yesterday in another thread:

"How many sorties of Axis planes vs Axis planes in AH?"

I can't tell the number of sorties flown, but of course we can determine the Usage Number for both:

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:40:26 PM »
<S>
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »
Excellent!

:salute

Edit:

Did you happen to compile data on GV vs GV over time? As far as I know, it isn't available anywhere else.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:47:33 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 03:58:57 PM »
Absolutely fascinating reading, Lusche. Thank you for taking the time to compile that data
and posting it up. <S>

Regards,
Oddball

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 04:00:05 PM »
Did you happen to compile data on GV vs GV over time? As far as I know, it isn't available anywhere else.

You mean usage or KD vs each other?