Author Topic: Windows 7 Issues  (Read 732 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Windows 7 Issues
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »
While I enjoy this OS, I have a slight issue.

I installed 64 bit home premium on a fresh 750GB AALS drive.  I already had the identical drive for pictures and music only.

Windows tames about minutes to get to desktop and it takes forever to access my folders on the media drive.

Any ideas on what could be causing this slow down?   I have no driver conflicts.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Re: Windows 7 Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »
Does Win7 require more ram than other Os??

How much ram do you have?
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
Does Win7 require more ram than other Os??

How much ram do you have?

Asus P5K-E
E-8400
4gb kit of mushkin ascent ram
tempest case
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
It should only take about 1 min to boot.  that set up is similar to what I had.  check what's being loaded with start up manager, i bet you have a bunch of stuff you dont know about.  I use glary's to disable junk i hardly use.  specially the updaters and other programs like word processing that will load themselves at the beginning.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
While I enjoy this OS, I have a slight issue.

I installed 64 bit home premium on a fresh 750GB AALS drive.  I already had the identical drive for pictures and music only.

Windows tames about minutes to get to desktop and it takes forever to access my folders on the media drive.

Any ideas on what could be causing this slow down?   I have no driver conflicts.

Did you install any interface drivers that came with the motherboard? Some 3rd party drivers can hose your SATA devices and cause stuff like this. Safest bet is to use the native drivers that come with Win7. If you're using no special drivers and you get delays like this, do you see your hdd being accessed all the time i.e. does it load stuff all the time while you wait for it to boot?

If there seems to be big pauses without activity then your motherboard controller might be bad or your new hdd might be dead on arrival (can happen).

Oh one thing, you don't have Norton antivirus, do you? I had one client whose bootup time went from 20 minutes to 3 just by cleaning Norton and its remains away.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:20:04 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:17:04 PM »
Jason, the MB manual recommends using sata1, sata2, sata5, and sata6  for bootable. (they are the red ones)

Use the sata3 and sata4 (black ones) for storage devices.

Not sure how you have them connected, but it may help. 

SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:39:59 PM »
This one is by me and I'm not even a Novice.   This one has me humbugged.   :banana:

Now my Media Drive is gone from My Computer (I've had this almost 1.5years).    It contains only Music and Pictures.   I have them on a Passport as a backup, but I'm trying to work through this without wiping it, if I don't have to.

I have ESET Smart Security 4 and all Windows Updates have been done (and now disabled).    With this drive now being "gone", boot time is just a shade below a Minute.     :banana:

The Original drive.   750GB AALS
My new boot drive with Windows 7:  750GB AALS (This drive works perfectly).

BIOS is registering both Drives regardless of the port used (1-6).    Windows doesn't recognize it, all of the online issues involve "New Drives", this is the opposite. 

Any thoughts?  :rofl

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:58:38 PM »
This one is by me and I'm not even a Novice.   This one has me humbugged.   :banana:

Now my Media Drive is gone from My Computer (I've had this almost 1.5years).    It contains only Music and Pictures.   I have them on a Passport as a backup, but I'm trying to work through this without wiping it, if I don't have to.

I have ESET Smart Security 4 and all Windows Updates have been done (and now disabled).    With this drive now being "gone", boot time is just a shade below a Minute.     :banana:

The Original drive.   750GB AALS
My new boot drive with Windows 7:  750GB AALS (This drive works perfectly).

BIOS is registering both Drives regardless of the port used (1-6).    Windows doesn't recognize it, all of the online issues involve "New Drives", this is the opposite. 

Any thoughts?  :rofl

My thought is your media drive is the one that died. Your OS was trying to access it during boot and since it malfunctioned you had to wait for several attempts / timeouts before your boot was finished. Good thing you have a backup.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »
The confusing thing to me is that the media drive in question, is recognized in BIOS. :headscratch:
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »
My thought is your media drive is the one that died. Your OS was trying to access it during boot and since it malfunctioned you had to wait for several attempts / timeouts before your boot was finished. Good thing you have a backup.

This

Or, it's not set up right in disk management.  Check there to see if it's listed as active and healthy.  I just had to do this on my buddies after adding an SSD for Winblows and another 1 TB sata for storage.  BIOS showed all 3 drives, but I had to manually change the 2 1TB's so Winblows would recognize them. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »
This

Or, it's not set up right in disk management.  Check there to see if it's listed as active and healthy.  I just had to do this on my buddies after adding an SSD for Winblows and another 1 TB sata for storage.  BIOS showed all 3 drives, but I had to manually change the 2 1TB's so Winblows would recognize them. 

I looked last night and did not see it listed.  Is there a step I missed?
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
It should show it if the drive is readable.  Try unplugging, restart, shutdown, plug in, restart then look in disk management again.  It should show as Disk 2 (Disk 1 if the new windows disk is Disk 0) You might need to assign a different drive letter to it if you didn't have it plugged in during windows install.  Ex. if it was previously set as D or E and those are now assigned to your CD/DVD drives.  Change drive letters by right clicking in the right panel (not where the picture of the drive is).  I can't remember the option exactly, but I remember I had to import (or something like that) the drive for windows to read the 680GB of info on the old drive.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »
I think the drive simply failed on you.  Try taking the drive out and putting it in a freezer for a couple of hours.  This might get it working long enough to get what you need off of it.