Author Topic: Aces High II with Linux and WINE  (Read 1467 times)

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
Aces High II with Linux and WINE
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
I just tried the current version of Aces High (2.24.4 as of May2011) with PcLinuxOS 2010 Minime, using the current, free version of Wine (Version 2.1.3-2-pclos2011).

Bottom line: it works.

However, I observed a framerate that was only about 25% of what I get under Windows on the same machine.

I was using a single-processor, Celeron 2.5 Ghz machine with an nVidia geForce 8400GS graphics card and 512MB of RAM. That's not a lot of computer for recent versions of Aces High II. Performance was barely adequate: frame rates between 14 and 22, with all graphic detail turned down to the minimum and with resolution diminished to 1024x768. (I even tried diminishing the resolution down to 800x600, but the frame rate didn't improve measurably.)

I also confirmed success with 2 of my favorite old versions of Aces High: 1.11.4 "classic" and 2.12.4. Both suffered from low framerates, about 25% of what I've come to expect when running each of them native under Microsoft Windows.

Although the frame rate was disappointing, I am encouraged overall. All of my prior experiments with Aces High II required purchase of the commercial "Cedega" Windows emulator. Although WINE could support Aces High I, it never worked with AH2 for me prior to this, and it's always suffered from a lower framerate than Cedega or Windows.

In this case, my successful WINE configuration was "plain vanilla". I didn't tweak anything at all in the Wine Configurator after the sound system defaulted to the "ALSA" option as usual. I was able to map all of the axes and buttons of my Logitech Extreme 3dPro joystick with the exception of the throttle lever. I don't know why that didn't work, but it didn't. I'll fiddle with it some more and report back here if I learn anything.

The sound quality was pretty good, but doppler effects were missing. 

I was able to map all of the keyboard controls according to my own (rather radical) preferences. The default keyboard and joystick control mappings (including the joystick's "hat" switch) matched up very well with the general, standard expectations of the AH community before I changed them.

After I got everything working as described, I updated the LINUX Kernel and all standard applications in the PcLinuxOs 2010 Minime distribution to the latest, greatest version as of 01Jun2011, and everything continued to work as before.

Conclusion:  The latest version of PcLinuxOs supports Aces High 2.24.4 with the free "WINE" Windows emulator, but the frame rate is only about 25% as fast as when running the same version of Aces High 2 under Windows XP. In my opinion, it isn't yet competitive for online flight unless you have a VERY powerful processor and graphics card. LINUX and WINE continue to make progress, but haven't yet caught up with the LINUX/Cedega combination, or with native Windows.
 :salute

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Aces High II with Linux and WINE
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »
Thanks for the write-up, good information.

However, I know a guy (who may or may not be CO of the 91st Bomber Group) who could have told you how much better Aces High is with a little wine.  :aok
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
I just tried the current version of Aces High (2.24.4 as of May2011) with PcLinuxOS 2010 Minime, using the current, free version of Wine (Version 2.1.3-2-pclos2011).

Bottom line: it works.

However, I observed a framerate that was only about 25% of what I get under Windows on the same machine.

I was using a single-processor, Celeron 2.5 Ghz machine with an nVidia geForce 8400GS graphics card and 512MB of RAM. That's not a lot of computer for recent versions of Aces High II. Performance was barely adequate: frame rates between 14 and 22, with all graphic detail turned down to the minimum and with resolution diminished to 1024x768. (I even tried diminishing the resolution down to 800x600, but the frame rate didn't improve measurably.)

I also confirmed success with 2 of my favorite old versions of Aces High: 1.11.4 "classic" and 2.12.4. Both suffered from low framerates, about 25% of what I've come to expect when running each of them native under Microsoft Windows.

Although the frame rate was disappointing, I am encouraged overall. All of my prior experiments with Aces High II required purchase of the commercial "Cedega" Windows emulator. Although WINE could support Aces High I, it never worked with AH2 for me prior to this, and it's always suffered from a lower framerate than Cedega or Windows.

In this case, my successful WINE configuration was "plain vanilla". I didn't tweak anything at all in the Wine Configurator after the sound system defaulted to the "ALSA" option as usual. I was able to map all of the axes and buttons of my Logitech Extreme 3dPro joystick with the exception of the throttle lever. I don't know why that didn't work, but it didn't. I'll fiddle with it some more and report back here if I learn anything.

The sound quality was pretty good, but doppler effects were missing. 

I was able to map all of the keyboard controls according to my own (rather radical) preferences. The default keyboard and joystick control mappings (including the joystick's "hat" switch) matched up very well with the general, standard expectations of the AH community before I changed them.

After I got everything working as described, I updated the LINUX Kernel and all standard applications in the PcLinuxOs 2010 Minime distribution to the latest, greatest version as of 01Jun2011, and everything continued to work as before.

Conclusion:  The latest version of PcLinuxOs supports Aces High 2.24.4 with the free "WINE" Windows emulator, but the frame rate is only about 25% as fast as when running the same version of Aces High 2 under Windows XP. In my opinion, it isn't yet competitive for online flight unless you have a VERY powerful processor and graphics card. LINUX and WINE continue to make progress, but haven't yet caught up with the LINUX/Cedega combination, or with native Windows.

Did you use the proprietary nvidia driver?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 05:35:02 AM »
Did you use the proprietary nvidia driver?

This version of PcLinuxOs uses a driver that they have named "nvidia-current 270.41.19-1pclos2011". It looks to me like nVidia certified this driver on 20May2011.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
I got it working BETTER. Here's an update:

http://askmisterwizard.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19802&p=22480#p22480

I got it working too on Ubuntu + wine but performance was beyond horrible. About 24fps on a C2D 8500 + Radeon 5850 combo. Graphics were glitchy too. Using AMD proprietary linux driver.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
AH and Sony Vegas are the only reasons I boot Windows. Wish there was a Linux native version of AH.

Ubuntu 11.04
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:44 AM »
AH and Sony Vegas are the only reasons I boot Windows. Wish there was a Linux native version of AH.

Ubuntu 11.04

Agreed. Its a shame that they don't fix the CH driver bug. It fails to init the stick properly and thus you have to do some workaround stuff to get the CH stick to actually work properly when its connected.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)