Author Topic: Titanic everyday? Yep!  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Titanic everyday? Yep!
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:32 PM »
Well i can only hope that its a repeat of the times way back in the beginning when one MA style arena was all you needed. I also would like to check out the user spawned arenas as well. Sounds like a great thing to be able to have some squadron versus squadron private duels occasionally without a dipdunk screwing things up.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:49 PM »
It's good to see HTC making adjustments due to financial concerns. :salute
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 01:43:27 PM »
I think you misread. I don't think THEY have financial concerns. They're probably well above profit margin.

What has dropped is the player base! Not enough people filling both servers like they initially did.

So they're going back to 1 based on the player numbers, the server loads, not because they are hurting (although I wouldn't mind paying a higher sub fee if needed to keep the game going, personally)

Offline 007Rusty

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 01:46:07 PM »
                                      :aok               :cheers:
C.O. 444TH AIR MAFIA
 WD40 (FS0)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
I fear what the reintroduction of "player spawned arenas" will do to the Main Arena. 

On the one hand, I'm concerned about this.  On the other, I think it might not have that much impact.

Maybe I'm wrong but the people who are going to be most interested in the player spawned arenas are going to be those looking for 1v1 or undisturbed, predictable small group fights right?  It seems to me it would follow that they probably don't spend much time in the MAs currently because they can't get that kind of a fight in there, right?  They log in, get picked a few times and quit because they're not having fun, if the forums are any indication.  If they're not in the MA much now, the fact that they're now in the player arenas won't have much impact on the MA, with the side benefit that it makes them happy so they stick around keeping their sub.

Or it may turn the MA into a wasteland as people run off to make their own rooms so they can control what they're exposed to...  It's a distinct possibility, and one I'm pretty concerned about as well.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:25 PM »
On the one hand, I'm concerned about this.  On the other, I think it might not have that much impact.

Maybe I'm wrong but the people who are going to be most interested in the player spawned arenas are going to be those looking for 1v1 or undisturbed, predictable small group fights right?  It seems to me it would follow that they probably don't spend much time in the MAs currently because they can't get that kind of a fight in there, right?  They log in, get picked a few times and quit because they're not having fun, if the forums are any indication.  If they're not in the MA much now, the fact that they're now in the player arenas won't have much impact on the MA, with the side benefit that it makes them happy so they stick around keeping their sub.

Or it may turn the MA into a wasteland as people run off to make their own rooms so they can control what they're exposed to...  It's a distinct possibility, and one I'm pretty concerned about as well.

Wiley.

They will also be able to remove trouble makers. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

The only way to turn MA into wasteland were to allow very high player numbers in the user hosted arenas. Which I don't think it will happen ;)
The majority will always stay where the majority plays. I do not worry about the user arenas, but see them as a highly welcome addition!

(just fyi... the LWMA has about 95% of combined main arenas (LW, MW, EW, WW1, AvA) activity.)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
Fat chance of that dave

I hope your right, and I am just concerned.  I think that HTC should do it, then we'll just have to see what happens.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 01:55:20 PM »
Im guessing that it will be 8 player or 32 player?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Im guessing that it will be 8 player or 32 player?

I guess it will be 13.7676 players.  :D

We will see when they say ;)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
They will also be able to remove trouble makers. :)

...ew.  Hadn't considered that.  So the MA might wind up being the place where people who like a large scale unpredictable fight go, as well as the cess pit for people who are too bloody unlikable to stay in a private room.

Or, worse yet it might not be all that bad, but might get that reputation, 'Only good fight is in the private room' mentality.

The only way to turn MA into wasteland were to allow very high player numbers in the user hosted arenas. Which I don't think it will happen ;)
The majority will always stay where the majority plays. I do not worry about the user arenas, but see them as a highly welcome addition!

(just fyi... the LWMA has about 95% of combined main arenas (LW, MW, EW, WW1, AvA) activity.)

I'm hoping you're right, Lusche.  It's how it will likely be for the reasons you've stated above.

What worries me is, there's a fairly vocal contingent of the community that bemoans the loss of 1v1, and small group fights.  I'm not sure how many of them there are, but it's a pretty common lament.  What I'm worried about is 100 of them over the course of an evening sitting in their player spawned arena waiting for someone to come along and duel them or them and their 2 buddies, or whatever.

I'd envision the max for player spawned arenas being somewhere around 8v8.  Can't see the max amount on them being higher than that, maybe even 6v6.  Isn't that the SDL's size?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »
It's good to see this and in a way it's bad to see this, we as a community need to get back to what this game is really about, the Squads and lonewolf's fighting all over the map not just in 1 or 2 places, Lately it's just a numbers game , lets take 25+ people to base X and overwhelm them, not with the Quality of the players attacking BUT the of Quantity of them attacking, heck if you have that many people ready for an attack split them up into 2 or 3 attack groups and hit 3 different bases, to the people that have been in the game awhile would remember the fights all over the maps, i just think theres to much emphasis on how many kills a person gets and they don't care how there achieved.

i just hope this works out for the good for right now, untill the numbers grow more.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 02:05:42 PM »
Lemme tell you something:

Everybody who is rejoicing now about it will only see more battles, higher numbers, more teamplay, more squad operations and simply a better game.
Everybody who is concerned now will see a lot of sneaks, overwhelming hording, no quality fights, and simply an insane amount of dweebery.

Because the game always had both, and still will have in the single LW arena  :)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 02:14:48 PM »

Everybody who is rejoicing now about it will only see more battles, higher numbers, more teamplay, more squad operations and simply a better game.
Everybody who is concerned now will see a lot of sneaks, overwhelming hording, no quality fights, and simply an insane amount of dweebery.

Because the game always had both, and still will have in the single LW arena  :)

This should be the arena login message for the next month. ;)

Wiley.

JG11

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
See how its goes, but after 10 years here......guess I might be gone. Low end systems like mine{and no I can afford another thank you) TT like arenas kill my computer, thats why I dont play on TT :furious :mad:
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>