Author Topic: Definition of irony  (Read 237 times)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Definition of irony
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
Just read this story online and if this isn't the definition of irony I don't know what is, a group of bikers in upstate New York were riding protesting helmet laws, well one of the bikers had to hit his brakes hard and the bike fishtailed & he flipped over the handlebars hitting his head on the ground killing him, I wonder if any of the bikers who were riding with him will start wearing helmets now.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20110703/US.Motorcyclist.Dies.Helmet.Protest/
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Definition of irony
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »
I don't understand the lack of helmet laws... if most states force you to wear a seatbelt, why aren't helmet laws enforced the same way?

I'm not saying I like seatbelt laws either (unless you're under 18), it just doesn't make sense to me.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Definition of irony
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »
I don't understand the lack of helmet laws... if most states force you to wear a seatbelt, why aren't helmet laws enforced the same way?

I'm not saying I like seatbelt laws either (unless you're under 18), it just doesn't make sense to me.

Insurance companies lobby these laws because they want to avoid expensive facial surgeries and other fractures that seatbelts can help you avoid in a crash. If they had their way you'd travel in a cotton ball.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone