Author Topic: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.
« on: July 05, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
Hey guys, out of the 6 yrs ive flown in Aces-High i have never upped a 262 in the main arena. (mostly blow my perks on p38s/190s in the EW)

But i feel like breaking the streak and trying her out in the MA. only 1 problem tho: i dont know how to fly it  :uhoh

could someone fill me in on what its capable of and what not to do in it? along with any other helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you  :salute

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
Re: Advice on flying the Dreaded ME262 requested.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
Practice offline.  :aok :salute

NOT

AKNOT

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
Odds are your gonna miss alot
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
shoot thousands of drones offline before going online! Never go lower than 300mph. Also in the MA 262's are meant to fly on the deck, you will get zero kills by staying up there.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
don't dive too fast or your wings will tear off.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:05 AM »
keep it 300-350mph and shoot when you're in close. if you're under 400mph make sure you got a few k under you to nose down and egress - its acceleration is dreadful.

and dont be afraid to actually fight in it :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:36:22 AM »
It is pretty hard to hit fighters if they are aware of your presence.  Don't blow all your E trying to turn with them, zoom on by and try again.   
Only fire one set of guns at a time, unless making a quick pass at a B-17 or Lanc. 
Keep your speed at least 400 if you are near the deck.  Level acceleration sucks.
If there are cons higher than you, they will drop everything and swoop on your perk jet.  Plan accordingly.
At higher alts, you can get slow because the thing picks up speed very quickly in a dive.

The biggest danger are collisions.  You are going much faster than everyone else and closure rates can be very high - especially on bombers.
It is also easy to overspeed and fly right on by your victim and into the ground.

On takeoff, hold down the brakes and let the engines spool all the way up before letting go.
After a few hundred feet, level out and accelerate to at least 300 before climbing out. 
At 400, it will maintain climb rate over 2k/min easily.  And zoom climbs at high speed are phenomenal.

Landing is tricky at first, but not difficult.  It is quite difficult to slow the plane down, compared to what you're used to.
First notch of flaps come out around 350 (IIRC) and gear around 250.  Last two notches come out under 200.
Once you get it that slow though, it really has docile handling and is a piece of cake to put down.

One more thing.  Expect PM whines by the bushel.  ;)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
yup the zoom is amazing - rope em!
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:44:28 AM »
Takeoff from the pilot manual is, to paraphrase:

line up on runay
20 degrees flaps (I guesstimate this as 2 notches)
Apply brakes
throttle up
Once full RPM, release brakes.

At about 120mph you will be able to take off. You will have to pull the nose off the ground (it takes a bit of effort) but once up retract gear, build some speed and retract flaps.

Once I read that and tested it in-game I had a much easier time taking off in them than I used to.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
1st rule: it can be the most tempting, but never accept a ho.
2nd rule: stay fast if youre on the deck
3rd rule: shoot at close ranges, lead a lot, only fire two guns as once
additional fun-rule: if you see a lone 190D or A-8, dont be afraid of turning with him, open the flaps and scissor the crap outta the opponent (wheres Latrobe??  : )
otherwise rope-a-dope works well. My fav thing is when i fly into the middle of a vulchfest and pick all the vulchers, more than 10 kills can be collected in no time. 1v1 sukks the big one in this ride, those dang piston-engined planes always outturn me.
So i dont try to turn with my opponent for a long time, open a flapnotch at 400mph, decelerate lightening fast, try on the snapshot in the overshooting hi-speed scissors then escape.
AoM
City of ice

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »
1. Set guns at 500/275ish for shotgun effect, fire all guns at once
2. Gun solutions should be crossing shots <300yds, you must lead twice as far as you "think"
3. Never accept a HO.
4. Never dive steeper than 15 degrees or so if you are faster than 475.
5. Use the rudder to throw your nose for further lead at last second if required
6. Don't go for nose up ropes unless you are a lot faster than the plane you are trying to rope.  Prop planes will catch you in the rope faster than you realize going nose up and bleed E.
7. Use as much rudder as you can to slow down on landing, get full flaps out.
8. Minor neg G evasives make it very difficult for planes that have dove onto your six to catch you.  Watch their nose and evade until they aren't pointed at you.  Straighten out and repeat when they get realigned.  Repeat until you outrun them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:55:27 PM by grizz441 »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
Black

Red

Black

Red

etc.....

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Murphy's Law will conspire against you and you will lose your Duece to the most ridiculous circumstances :furious that never occur when you are in a non-perk ride on 7 out of 10 sorties in a 262...enjoy  :headscratch: :bhead :cry

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 04:08:52 PM »
It's alluded to above, but if you use auto takeoff you might be tempted to hit auto climb as soon as you clear the runway. So that you can check the map, adjust the seat, do your lipstick etc.

At which point you'll rapidly nose into the ground! To your horror. 'cause the auto climb speed is much higher than the takeoff speed, and the aircraft will try to match this speed by diving. Into the ground.

Other tips: once you're at speed, your closure rate ensures that everybody seems to be trying to h/o you. Lots of people will be trying to h/o you. When you're low, you'll get paranoid about the mythical P-47 doing a 10,000 feet dive at you. Don't get greedy, and remember that everybody in range is just waiting for you to crash, or rip off your wings, or continue to fight with a smoking engine, just so they can laugh at you. If you're in doubt, there's no doubt; turn around and run away, and frustrate the mockers. They want you to mess up, they're willing it.

If you score no kills at all during the first couple of sorties, but land successfully, consider that a success.

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:32 PM »
It's alluded to above, but if you use auto takeoff you might be tempted to hit auto climb as soon as you clear the runway. So that you can check the map, adjust the seat, do your lipstick etc.

At which point you'll rapidly nose into the ground! To your horror. 'cause the auto climb speed is much higher than the takeoff speed, and the aircraft will try to match this speed by diving. Into the ground.

Other tips: once you're at speed, your closure rate ensures that everybody seems to be trying to h/o you. Lots of people will be trying to h/o you. When you're low, you'll get paranoid about the mythical P-47 doing a 10,000 feet dive at you. Don't get greedy, and remember that everybody in range is just waiting for you to crash, or rip off your wings, or continue to fight with a smoking engine, just so they can laugh at you. If you're in doubt, there's no doubt; turn around and run away, and frustrate the mockers. They want you to mess up, they're willing it.

If you score no kills at all during the first couple of sorties, but land successfully, consider that a success.