Author Topic: a sad, sad day  (Read 3639 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: a sad, sad day
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »
Red Bull racers hit 10+ Gs for the duration of some of their turns.  I've seen a few clips of those guys gray or black out during turns, resulting in bounces.  None of the clips I saw resulted in fatalities but I'm sure that there have been some.  The point being that the Red Bull racing pilots have to pull 10+ Gs during several entire turns to be competitive, so they do.  And some GLOC or gray out.

they wear pressure suits. they also prepare for them.
http://www.redbullairrace.com/cs/Satellite/en_air/Article/Pilots-Praise-New-G-Race-Suit-021242759131068

i didn't know that till i saw it on one of those stupid(or not so stupid) speed channel shows.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:17 PM »
I read this on another forum......

"A couple of us noticed what we thought was a pitch wobble with GG as it banked down into the "Valley of Speed", that hadn't been there the prior 2 laps. I noticed it but said nothing, figuring I didn't know enough to comment. There were 2 guys next to me, both pilots. One said " did you see Ghost has the shakes" and the other guy said "Sure did". Then it happened. We'll never know, as I am not sure if anyone was shooting video at that moment from our location. We were packed quickly into buses right after it happened and our only concern at that point was what the situation in the stands was."

And another....

"I got an email from Bob Martin today. He said, as captain of pylon 1, he was standing about 500 feet from the impact site. He said that the trim tab did partially depart, causing a violent pitch up. He is sure that the g-force caused Jimmy to black out, which would explain the roll over with no throttle change or course change. Bob also said that the box seats were virtually empty compared to how they would have been on Saturday and Sunday."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:35:31 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
The we are kind of in agreement.

The difference in distance covered per second would be the biggest difference and the fact that the plane, and not the pilot, decided it would pull 10Gs meaning relaxed stick backforce during GLOC would not relieve the G loading which kept the pilot in GLOC for the duration.

That said, galloping ghost really did pull off an amazing rate of turn in excess of what we experience in aces high during that event.

Jimmy Leeward had also completely blown past Rare Bear which is no easy feat.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind with regard to g's is that there is a very large difference between when you are pulling the g's (and in control of it) and when they are exerted upon you by surprise.  I flew at Air Combat USA many years ago.  I was in great shape (playing ice hockey regularly) and was around 30 years old.  At the end of the day, we came cruising back to base, and the instructor pilot slammed the plane into a 6-or-more g turn to bleed off speed without telling me he was going to do so, so I didn't tense up beforehand.  I was blacked out sooner than I could react to stop it -- probably within a second or two.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:32 AM »
Apparently, Galloping Ghost had been measured in excess of 525 at minden a couple of weeks earlier and he had just blown past Rare Bear indicating he had made his move to the front to ensure he would be able to contest the Gold heat for overall gold victory.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2011, 01:19:32 PM »
speed thrills and speed kills. always has and always will.  :salute

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Red bull pilots wear G suits, and they are penalized it they pull 10 G's, I believe it is a 2second penalty. 
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2011, 10:51:57 PM »
nvm.

Quoted a post and accidentally hit the post button.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:34:42 PM by EskimoJoe »
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2011, 06:19:42 AM »
Red bull pilots wear G suits, and they are penalized it they pull 10 G's, I believe it is a 2second penalty. 

Must be a new rule.  The last few races I watched had the G meter tagging 10 repeatedly for all of the competitors.  Maybe they put in the rule to try to avoid pilots blacking out.  Sort of like restrictor plates or pit lane speed limits...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline edog1977

• Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »

I believe the maximum Gs allowed is 12, not 10.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2011, 07:39:01 AM »

and their entry speed is limited to 250. they took this year off, due to the stalling incidents, in canada, australia, and i forget where the others were.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:14 AM »
Must be a new rule.  The last few races I watched had the G meter tagging 10 repeatedly for all of the competitors.  Maybe they put in the rule to try to avoid pilots blacking out.  Sort of like restrictor plates or pit lane speed limits...

i think 2010 was the first year for the 10g rule, although i'm not sure. the televised races i had seen in 2010, i don't think i saw anyone go over 9.5.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »
The thread is.  Me responding to CAP quoting him is only responding to him.  I thought the same applied to everyone when their text is quoted.

He's responding to everyone..... not just you.

Ask any first responder... they'll tell you. :P
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:44 PM »
Yep.  Talking in general.  Not specifically to the pilot.  Even though I do think that he could not have been in a better shape than a 25 year old pilot ( and please don;t pick the worst possible example of a 25 year old just to make a point), that fact may be irrelevant to the accident.

He does not need to be in better shape than a 25 year old.      

You are talking general and specifically to the pilot.  General includes all pilots including this pilot.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:14:23 PM by FireDrgn »
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
   He does not need to be in better shape than a 25 year old.      

You are talking general and specifically to the pilot.  General includes all pilots including this pilot.

OK guys, you are correct.  A 75 year old is better than a 25 year old in pretty much everything (except turning off their blinkers  :neener:)
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.