Author Topic: Spitdweeb: Or, what's wrong with flying the Spit?  (Read 7089 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Spitdweeb: Or, what's wrong with flying the Spit?
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
I really should research the Spitfires one on these days. I've always assumed the spixteen was a 44-45 bird. God help us all if they made them any better then that..... and then add them to the game  :noid

ok maybe I exaggerated a little bit should have said 1945   ;)   

spit 21  x 4 cannon  clipped griffon. 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
ok maybe I exaggerated a little bit should have said 1945   ;)   

spit 21  x 4 cannon  clipped griffon. 

<Facepalm> 

Spit XVI is nothing more then a Spitfire LFIXe with an American made Packard Merlin 266.  The LFIXe has the English made Rolls Royce Merlin 66.  Same airframe.  Switch the engines and you make a 16 a 9 and a 9 a 16. 

So it's a 44-45 bird only in that it's got the E wing.  The Merlin 66 Spit IX was a 43 bird along with the Merlin 66 Spit VIII.  Should HTC ever put a Universal wing on the Spit XVI model and give it full span wings, you'd have a 1943 Spitfire IX.

Oh how I now wish HTC had called the XVI an IXe.   No one would think twice about it then.  But they see 16 and assume it must be better then 8, 9 or 14.

The Spit 21 with the Griffon and 4 cannon was not a clipped wing Spit.  The entire wing was re-designed.  Put a Spit XIV and an 21 together and look from above and you'd see the 21 wing was not the usual Spitfire wing.

That anyone complains about Spits is silly.  At least they stick around and try and fight.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2012, 11:07:13 PM »
Which one is the Spit XVI?  Which one is the Spit IX.  Please note the serial numbers.  There is one of each here.

What kind of Spit is it?

How bout this one?

And these two.  One clipped, one not.

What kind of Spit is this?

How bout this one?

And this clipped wing Spit? What is it?

How bout this one?

And this?

Almost forgot this one.  What is this clipped Spit with wing racks?

Do you detect a theme?  I've used these same Spit images over and over, every time the same goofy discussion on the Spit XVI starts
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:12:18 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »
I'm quite fond of the 16, it's great for killing aeroplanes, and great for killing tanks and other vehicles.  It's one of the few tactical fighters that lets you take 3 bombs and I love that about it too.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
And anyone of em that got into a turnfight with ya was going to die.  That's why the Hurri in AH is more potent then the Hurri was for real.  When life really mattered, no one was going to turn with the better turning bird :)

agree 100% :aok

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
And as long as we're at it.  The roll rate on the Spit with clipped wings was done for one reason.  The Spit Vb was so totally outclassed by the 190A when it appeared, they did everything they could to try and give those guys a chance.  The clipped wing greatly improved the roll rate and they started it in 42-43.  The Spit XII then was produced and introduced in the Spring of 43 and it was clipped from the start.  With its low alt rated Griffon III/IV and clipped wings it was a match in performance for the 190s in particular down low.

Since the XVI was produced essentially as a ground attack Spit with the extra hard points, they gave it the clipped wing in production as the roll rate helped and the turn radius wasn't impacted much down low.  You you guys whining about the roll rate being unfair, get over it.  They did what they had to to compete.  Since AH is a down low kinda fight most times, the XVI or IXe, since they are the same, does it's job well.

Clipping the wing was about a half hour job and was done often, in particular if the Spit was going to be working down low.  That included Vs, IXs, VIIIs, XIIs, XVIs and XIVs although the XIVs were mainly postwar.

Clipped Vb from 43

Clipped XII

Clipped Seafires

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
oh pick me pick me :D

Oh INK, we've already danced...lots and lots.  KI vs KI and KI vs 1A, lol...yes, I had to bring that up
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:22 PM »
That anyone complains about Spits is silly.  At least they stick around and try and fight.

+1000000. I'd rather fight a Spit than chase a Pony.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »
And as long as we're at it.  The roll rate on the Spit with clipped wings was done for one reason.  The Spit Vb was so totally outclassed by the 190A when it appeared, they did everything they could to try and give those guys a chance.  The clipped wing greatly improved the roll rate and they started it in 42-43.  The Spit XII then was produced and introduced in the Spring of 43 and it was clipped from the start.  With its low alt rated Griffon III/IV and clipped wings it was a match in performance for the 190s in particular down low.

Since the XVI was produced essentially as a ground attack Spit with the extra hard points, they gave it the clipped wing in production as the roll rate helped and the turn radius wasn't impacted much down low.  You you guys whining about the roll rate being unfair, get over it.  They did what they had to to compete.  Since AH is a down low kinda fight most times, the XVI or IXe, since they are the same, does it's job well.

Clipping the wing was about a half hour job and was done often, in particular if the Spit was going to be working down low.  That included Vs, IXs, VIIIs, XIIs, XVIs and XIVs although the XIVs were mainly postwar.

Clipped Vb from 43
(Image removed from quote.)

Clipped XII

Clipped Seafires

You sure seem to know your history.  Very nice.... Very nice indeed.  :salute :rock

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
oh the 8 and 9 are far more dangerous in a fight but we were tarnishing the 16's reputation I thought  ;)

now if I were to go check up on the percentage of K4 usage amongst Luft dweebs then I bet it would figure well over say 50% ?    :D

Would love to have some 1944-45 Spitfires then we might have something to cry about. 

Could check my stats if you like. 

Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
 Easy Mode!

HL
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2012, 12:10:53 AM »
You sure know your history.  Very nice.... Very nice indeed.  :salute :rock

fixed.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2012, 12:15:20 AM »
this thread has made me all :x

time to go up a 16  :banana:

(don't worry I still suck even in supposed 'easy mode' )
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:27 AM »
Could check my stats if you like. 

you follow the true path though killnU,  a worthy adversary and not someone I would class a dweeb.     :salute
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2012, 01:20:28 AM »
you follow the true path though killnU,  a worthy adversary and not someone I would class a dweeb.     :salute

<----- former luft 'dweeb' who almost exclusively flew the k4

... and fluff'n proud

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)