Author Topic: Gaming the Game? Top ranking and Fighter vs Attack Mode  (Read 7444 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Gaming the Game? Top ranking and Fighter vs Attack Mode
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »
Help me just a bit.

If I fly X number of missions in Fighter, then the balance of the month in Attack does this somehow boost my Fighter score? If so, I guess I should game it a bit. With my work schedule I tend to hover somewhere around the 50 mark, and if gaming it drops me to around the 20s bodabing!

Or I could do it the old fashioned way...

Back to 100% Fighter missions for me. Interesting discussion though. Is there some score benefit to doing it 50/50 or 60/40?

Boo

Thats kinda what Lusche is trying to disprove.

If say you run 5 sorties in 30 minutes as a fighter and you collect say 35 scalps, land them all and only use 50% of your ammo. You'll be ranked very high. If you don't fly a fighter sortie again for the rest of the month, will it be good enough to keep your high rank? Your K/D is 30/1, your K/S is 7/1, your K/HIT% is way up there, and your K/H is 60/1. The only thing that sucks is your kills points.

With numbers like that covering all the sub categories except the points would it be better for you NOT to fly and maintain the top stop?   

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
If say you run 5 sorties in 30 minutes as a fighter and you collect say 35 scalps, land them all and only use 50% of your ammo. You'll be ranked very high. If you don't fly a fighter sortie again for the rest of the month, will it be good enough to keep your high rank? Your K/D is 30/1, your K/S is 7/1, your K/HIT% is way up there, and your K/H is 60/1. The only thing that sucks is your kills points.

With numbers like that covering all the sub categories except the points would it be better for you NOT to fly and maintain the top stop?  

35 scapls in 30 minutes would indeed be an awesome result. Only very few pilots can do this. We do have one or two with a K/H of 40-60 in fighter mode each month, but those usually did only one single sortie with 1-3 kills.

But let me take the hypothetical numbers of yours and see how that pilot would have ranked in tour 153: If we assumed a top notch hit% of 15 and the average number of points per kill, he would have ended up at rank 56.
The sub-ranks:
k/d     5
k/s     1
k/h     1
hit%   34
points 988

The supreme k/d, k/s and k/h results are more than offset by his lack in kills.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:40:21 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 09:15:09 PM »

35 scapls in 30 minutes would indeed be an awesome result. Only very few pilots can do this. We do have one or two with a K/H of 40-60 in fighter mode each month, but those usually did only one single sortie with 1-3 kills.

But let me take the hypothetical numbers of yours and see how that pilot would have ranked in tour 153: If we assumed a top notch hit% of 15 and the average number of points per kill, he would have ended up at rank 56.
The sub-ranks:
k/d     5
k/s     1
k/h     1
hit%   34
points 988

The supreme k/d, k/s and k/h results are more than offset by his lack in kills.

Well in my example, he has 35 kills to the 1 death the HTC adds, his kill per sortie would 7 (5 sorties 35 kills) his kill per hour would be 70 (35 kills in 30 minutes) and his points would 988 we'll say.

Granted those numbers are pretty wild, but for a good pilot easy enough to get catching a few NOEs and popping low slow planes. Now if he did this at the beginning of the tour and never flew another fighter sortie how would it pan out?

It's a pretty darn good starting point and would rank him very high that first day. With many others flying lucky runs a single sortie with 5 kills say, or a couple with a few more would be the only guys who would come close in ranking. Now if he didn't fly any more sorties, all of his number would stay the same for the month. Other pilots would have to have unbelievable runs to catch his kill numbers but would easily surpass his kill points. 

Is that how it would work or am I missing something? Your charts show it isn't rampant, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »
You must be really bored.  :aok

Normally, that would be merely funny... but coming from a super mega-gaming-all-the-time-winner, it is exceptional.

I rike.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 04:29:27 AM »
Granted those numbers are pretty wild, but for a good pilot easy enough to get catching a few NOEs and popping low slow planes. Now if he did this at the beginning of the tour and never flew another fighter sortie how would it pan out?

umm...  :headscratch:  In the message you quoted I just explained how it would pan out.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:16 AM »
dbl post
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:20:27 AM by Lusche »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:37 AM »
Normally, that would be merely funny... but coming from a super mega-gaming-all-the-time-winner, it is exceptional.

I rike.

Normally, people give thumbs up when some one does a good job.

You Derp? Yeaaa, you Derp.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »
In order to make it a tad more difficult for the score ho's to game the system, might I humbly suggest tweaking the kill points sub-category even more since its the 1 sub category that is not so easily manipulated. I realize this may be opening Pandora's box but, how about adding a eny/perk modifier to the kill point scoring.

For example, much the way perk points are awarded, the kill points earned for kills in a 262, should be significantly less than that of a C 202. This would at least make the score ho's work a little harder for that precious ranking.

:salute Nishizwa

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:57:38 AM by ARSNishi »

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
For the record, the median K/D's for all players who did fly in both modes in tour 153 is ~ 0,6 in fighter mode vs ~0,4 in attack mode.
But as stated earlier the chart doesn't tell us that much. Some of the top 20 players did hardly fly any attack sorties at all. Also, all of those player's attack K/Ds are still way above the average player's ones.

I expect anyone in the top 20 should possess a skill set that greatly exceeds that of the median player, so there's no surprise there.  I agree that not much can be made of this (though that 30:1 K/D compared to roughly 2.5:1 for one of the players raises an eyebrow).  We'd need to know just what the players are doing when they're in Attack mode, and since those data aren't available, we can't draw any definitive conclusions.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »
Might it be that the fighter jock score orientated pilit values his fighter mode score greatly but scorns all others?

Could it be that to "optimise" his fighter score he ups in fighter mode only when

-his eye is "in"
-the opposition is easy meat
-he has "help" ensuring his safety.

in this way attack score becomes a repository for the scores gained/lost when the odds in the arena are stacked against our fighter only jock.

I suppose the tendency for this fella would be high KD's/KH's in fighter mode but low KD's/KH's in attack.

I dont think I would be looking for him in the top 50 fighter ranks. I guess this type would tend to populate the ranks just below the upper echelons...........
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:10:10 AM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
 ;)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
In order to make it a tad more difficult for the score ho's to game the system, might I humbly suggest tweaking the kill points sub-category even more since its the 1 sub category that is not so easily manipulated. I realize this may be opening Pandora's box but, how about adding a eny/perk modifier to the kill point scoring.

For example, much the way perk points are awarded, the kill points earned for kills in a 262, should be significantly less than that of a C 202. This would at least make the score ho's work a little harder for that precious ranking.

:salute Nishizwa

Agreed, 100%... and killing 100 Lancasters in a latewar cannon bird shouldn't be as lucrative as it is now...

I think giving ENY multipliers on all of the points (where applicable) wouldn't be a bad idea... although if lethality values were assigned to each plane that would be even better.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »
I find that 90% of the top 50 in overall score get  :ahand ....  the score system is crap, it does not truly reflect ones skill but rather skill at gaming the score...  not their true abilities, period.

You hear all the time supposedly its meant for the individual to use as a tool for improvement yet its compared and ranked to others... they even reward them at the end of a tour with their name in lights... because yes, its gamed.

I have seen much better skills and had better fights from people ranked in the 100+ because they can actually fight and probably don't bother as I do with changing fighter/attack mode or even care about their overall score.

A score system that truly reflects a persons ability accurately is still a long way off, score each flight for what the outcome is regardless of what mode your in. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:31:51 AM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 08:10:24 AM »
A score system that truly reflects a persons ability accurately is still a long way off, score each flight for what the outcome is regardless of what mode your in.  

The score system perfectly reflects a persons skill at playing the game.

But it does not do a very good job at  reflecting a persons ability a cooking.

HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 08:13:25 AM »
But it does not do a very good job at  reflecting a persons ability a cooking.

I see what you did there, excellent!  :rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234