Author Topic: Display size  (Read 1277 times)

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
Display size
« on: May 02, 2013, 06:19:16 PM »
Considering getting a large plasma tv or a projector for a display. Is there a formula to calculate the size monitor needed for the cockpit to be actual real life size? Would need to consider resolution and fov. You can get large plasma tv now for about what a good monitor costs. With the new 4K tvs a large high resolution display is only a year or two away.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Display size
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:30 PM »
Considering getting a large plasma tv or a projector for a display. Is there a formula to calculate the size monitor needed for the cockpit to be actual real life size? Would need to consider resolution and fov. You can get large plasma tv now for about what a good monitor costs. With the new 4K tvs a large high resolution display is only a year or two away.

A 4k tv will cost you 1,2 - 1,5k dollars. A graphics card that can run a game playably on it will cost an additional 500-1000 bucks. You're going to need the highest end model to play at more then 15fps at 4k resolutions.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
mripley he's not trying to buy a 4k tv.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:39:04 AM »
mripley he's not trying to buy a 4k tv.

semp

I'm just warning him about the power requirements if he's dreaming of a large high-res screen. He did mention 4k.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:19:52 AM »
if you have the money, 3 computer monitors will give you better results than a single big tv regardless of its resolution.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
You are correct I am not currently in the market for 4K but I do think lower costs are coming which will make for interesting possibilities. My main question is at a fov of say 95 what size screen will yield actual cockpit size? For example if the real physical airspeed indicator was 3.5 inches then the virtual indicator would be 3.5 inches on the screen. With trackir most of the benefit of the wider 3 screen setups is negated and a larger screen gives a better sense of immersion IMHO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:12:35 AM »
With trackir most of the benefit of the wider 3 screen setups is negated and a larger screen gives a better sense of immersion IMHO.
you won't want to say that loud enough for any of the guys around here using track ir with triple monitors...larger screen is just going to give you a bigger picture of what you have now. don't fool yourself. 3 27in monitors will give you better results than a single 55in television (without the input lag)...and cost close to the same price.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »
triple monitor is the top for aces
 Or triple projectors :D

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 03:30:40 PM »
I tried the three monitors but the bezel thing is a PIA. I use a 37" Samsung 1080P in my low end machine and a Dell U3014 in the high end machine (will set you back $1500). I love the sharpness of the image at 2560 x 1600. Refresh is 6ms which is ok with me. I have a NVidia GTX 690 in that machine. Got a lot of wife ack for that one :-0. My two cents.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »
I use a 39" 1080p tv too. I think I have my FOV at 125 in this picture.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
I use a 42" 1080p tv I think the fov is 105.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
I tried the three monitors but the bezel thing is a PIA. I use a 37" Samsung 1080P in my low end machine and a Dell U3014 in the high end machine (will set you back $1500). I love the sharpness of the image at 2560 x 1600. Refresh is 6ms which is ok with me. I have a NVidia GTX 690 in that machine. Got a lot of wife ack for that one :-0. My two cents.

you get used to the bezel.  I dont even notice mine.  and I have 3 monitors that I bought at different times from 3 manufactuers, lol.  I use magazines to adjust the height so they're at the same level. 

I can see from wingtip to wintip and coupled with trakir, you can see everything.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »
bezel is annoying but you do get used to it, I couldn't get used to trackIR tho.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 05:48:55 AM »
why get a big screen?

Sit nearer to your existing monitor :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
Is there a formula to calculate the size monitor needed for the cockpit to be actual real life size? Would need to consider resolution and fov.
Resolution has no effect, only the width of the monitor.

FOV = Field of view angle. (horizontal field of view)
W = width of monitor
D = distance of eyes to monitor.

For the your view to match the real world, the distance to the monitor is calculated by.

D = W / (tan(FOV / 2) * 2)

This is effectively turning your monitor into a window.

HiTech