Author Topic: New Strategic target  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
New Strategic target
« on: August 19, 2013, 02:39:22 PM »
A Steel Mill.

1: Damage would affect the downtime's of FH's, VH,s, BH's & CV's.
2: Not easily taken down.  Say each building at Steel Mill Strat has the same Hardness of FH's, VH,s & BH's.
3: Affected downtime of FH's, VH,s, BH's & CV's much lower than objects currently affected by other Strategic targets. Perhaps 1/4.
4: Reduction in Steel Mill Strat's downtime by resupply same as other Strategic Targets.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:44:13 PM by Lone82 »
Life is Hard, But it's even HARDER when your Stupid- John Wayne

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: New Strategic target
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
I applaud the effort to add more more strategic targets without hesitation, however adding such a "mirco" specific target makes less sense at this point vs something in a larger more "macro" sense such as a rail yard, ship yard, aircraft factory, tank factory, etc.  In the future if HTC wants to get more precise in the how and what categories, they could add oil fields, steel mills, grain fields, iron/copper mines, and any other strategic source of material.

Good wish, just direct it to a more useful and pragmatic item.   :aok   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »
Rail yards and supply depots that stop trains and convoys from spawning would be a nice touch.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
Rail yards and supply depots that stop trains and convoys from spawning would be a nice touch.

+1

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:24:57 PM »
What about a shipyard object, that adds a delay to the CV respawn time?

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »

That's the reason I suggested a Steel Mill. Lack of steel would affect the rebuilding times of all structures including ships.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:57:11 PM »
That's the reason I suggested a Steel Mill. Lack of steel would affect the rebuilding times of all structures including ships.

Of course you did.   ;) 

I could see rail yards and ship yards adding another few minutes to convoys, trains, and barges either via slowing their pace or delaying their re-spawn.  Also perhaps increase the default repair time of hangers by a few mins, too.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
The devil is in the details, and your details I can squable over for a while....  BUT!...

First and foremost, your diea for a Steel Mill strat (despite the details of how it will work and what it will impact and to what extent...) is brilliant!  Never heard it before here and I think it fits the current theme of things like a glove.

A steel mill and rail yard can probabley get plugged into the strats north and south of the city pretty nicely, but what purpose can they have that won't radicly disrupt gameplay many miles away on the fronts but still impact it?...  Being able to knock a hangar out from more than 15-minutes can be pretty brutal...
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »
Question is, what would the maximum time cap for hangers/ships be? 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

Either way +50
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
Question is, what would the maximum time cap for hangers/ships be? 30 minutes? 60 minutes?

Either way +50

I think the 30 minutes is reasonable (what the hangers used to be). 60 minutes is.. well high, imo.  Unless HTC adds something to balance it. But I think 30 minutes is a fair 'time cap'.

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
I could see rail yards and ship yards adding another few minutes to convoys, trains, and barges either via slowing their pace or delaying their re-spawn.  Also perhaps increase the default repair time of hangers by a few mins, too.   

Steel Mills of the Era (and still today) have huge Railyards and Ports. Perhaps the Strat Structure could be a combination of Mill & Railway. Unfortunately our starts aren't always on the waters edge so incorporating a Port with the Mill may not be possible

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:46:35 PM »

a steel mill is useless without a rail yard next to it.  I know I work in one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline No9Squadron

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
Steel Mill/Railyard as a target and slightly more difficult target, I like it, good idea.

Just add the merchant ships and cargos that sup these factories on maps as well :P

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »
Just add the merchant ships and cargos that sup these factories on maps as well :P

Would be nice to have a Port attached to the Mill (3 Stategic targets in 1) but that would involve modifiing the map to have a Waterway channel from the sea to the Strats default & Rear locations and I highly doubt HTC is going to do that

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »

My vote for the next strat target to add would be rail yards.  However, I like the idea of something to control CV re-spawn.  My I offer a suggestion? How about a new tactical target at ports, i.e. a dry-dock.  There has been much speculation about what might have happened if the IJN had proceeded with their planned third strike during the Pearl Harbor raid, which had as one of it's primary targets the dry docks (as well as sub-repair facilities and other logistics support targets).  Because the dry docks were spared, most of the damaged ships (including, as I recall, six out of eight battleships damaged) were able to return to service within a year or less.  Otherwise, most of the heavily damaged ships would have had to be towed to California (some where probably too damaged to make the trip) for repair.  Add a dry-dock to the ports that, if destroyed, would have to be repaired first (15 minutes, perhaps) before the CV timer respawn count could begin.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."