Author Topic: During off hours or with low players!  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
During off hours or with low players!
« on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
I was thinking that when the late war arena reaches a certain amount of players (say 50 for example) then only certain bases are capturable, and others are uncapturable and you can't take off from them.    Now, I'm not meaning as in Dueling Arena setup of right next to each other.   But sort of isolate a section of the map, and make that playable. (Strats would still be a valid target but not all the bases).  That way all 3 sides could find combat during the off-hours.

HTC would have to get a setup for each map though. Maps with less than a certain amount of bases wouldn't need this, because there weren't many bases to begin with.  But larger maps you would use this.

When this takes effect it announces it in a SYSTEM message.

Here is an example

Strats could re-locate within that grid (Maybe not, due to cv's or bombers simply parking next to the strats *shrug* it is an idea in the works after all).  At the very least (if strats were moved) could put them next to the airfields (a mini version of sorts).

For example:  Bishops Strats would re-locate to 10 9 5
                    Knight Strats would re-locate to 9 9 4
                    Rook Strats would re-loate to 10 10 8

(I know there are mountains and stuff, these are just ideas  :P)

But I think having this would make the larger maps more playable for the smaller crowd. While keeping it fun and without forcing the players to huddle up if they don't want too. Even though the arena is smaller (since you would only be able to take off from the bases within the black line) you could still fly out and get altitude if you want. And GVers (on this map at least) still have TT :)

Just a few thoughts, what are your opinions ?

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: During off hours or with low players!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
good idea as finding a fight that late is not always easy especially on the huge maps...

also get rid of switch sides time limit all together after midnight.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:01:18 PM by ink »

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
good idea as fighting a fight that late is not always easy especially on the huge maps...

also get rid of switch sides time limit all together after midnight.

Oh and shorten the time limit to 2 hours  :devil

Tinkles

<<S>>
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:03:32 PM »
Oh and shorten the time limit to 2 hours  :devil

Tinkles

<<S>>

even 2 hrs is too long... :neener:

guys just taking bases should have some opposition...as they move around the map and avoid living opponents and take bases I should be able to move around the map and fight them.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
Ideas for...

Ozkansas

Smpizza

Tagma

Tried to give an even amount of bases per side (as per HTC rules/regulations)

Also, airfields near the strats (like in Tagma they wouldn't be moved because they are on the shoreline as it is).  So the airfields next to the strats could take off fighters but not bombers (while in isolation mode). When more players get on and isolation mode is lifted, then all bases resume to normal.

Tinkles

<<S>>
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:39:40 PM by Tinkles »
HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
the problem with this I see...is at the time of closing down the bases how are the bases sorted out?

by time that comes around the owners of bases will not be default.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 05:52:21 PM »
the problem with this I see...is at the time of closing down the bases how are the bases sorted out?

by time that comes around the owners of bases will not be default.

I was thinking that if one side captures a base, then the next nearest base (in the rear) for the losing side, is unlocked.

For example on ozkansas Bishop base A123, if that was captured then A142 would be unlocked (the base directly below it on the other island)

This would apply for any side.  So that way, if you lose a frontline base, you 'unlock' one of the further bases.

Tinkles

<<S>>
HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 05:59:41 PM »
Being mostly an off hours player, I do not think that it's necessary to limit the actvity on the small maps in rotation.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »
I was thinking that if one side captures a base, then the next nearest base (in the rear) for the losing side, is unlocked.

For example on ozkansas Bishop base A123, if that was captured then A142 would be unlocked (the base directly below it on the other island)

This would apply for any side.  So that way, if you lose a frontline base, you 'unlock' one of the further bases.

Tinkles

<<S>>

no you missed what I was saying....

at the time to close off the further bases....the base ownership wont be how they are when a map starts up....IE default base ownership positions...

so it could be, say the knights have captured all the front line bases of the bish....there is now way to separate them without reloading the map fresh and then shutting down the back bases.

and I agree with Lusche...the small maps are fine....all that needs to be done is to be able to change at will, then we can go to wherever the fight is....even if they keep moving to the other side.

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »
We just need to work on getting more players in the game
Peanut1 in game.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 06:28:45 PM »
I like this sort of idea -- playable area on map scaled according to how many players are in flight.

(It has to be number in flight, by the way, because there are so many people who stay logged in while not playing in order to get perks when the map changes.  It's not a big effect with player numbers are high, but at 1 am Eastern and later, it can be half or more of the people on line.)

I think it would be good to have 3-4 gradations, not just one at 50 players.

"Winning the war" complicates the implementation of such a scheme, as does the prospect of a pre-chosen area shape not including any of a particular country's bases.  So does bombing of HQ/strats.  So, exact implementation would take a lot of careful thought, trying it out, and tweaking things based on how it works.

Maybe something like this (where a "disabled" field is akin to the uncapturable fields from the days when capture order was enabled in the game).

-- There are 3 gradations:  at 200 players, at 100 players, and at 50 players.
-- A "disabled" base means no aircraft or vehicles are launchable, but guns can be manned, it can't be captured, and all of its associated buildings either become indestructible, or they just repair in 10 seconds.
-- A disabled base is highlighted on the clipboard map.
-- A country's closest current base to HQ/strats is never disabled by the algorithm.
-- At 200 players, a country gets 16 bases, and the rest are disabled.  It chooses the ones to keep in order of closest to enemy fields.  War is over if the country gets down to 4 bases.
-- At 100 players, a country gets 8 bases.  War is over if they get down to 2 bases.
-- At 50 players, a country gets 4 bases.  War is over if they get down to 1 base.

Something like that (where of course the exact numbers are subject to selecting better specific values)?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
It has to be number in flight, by the way, because there are so many people who stay logged in while not playing in order to get perks when the map changes.

(...)

-- There are 3 gradations:  at 200 players, at 100 players, and at 50 players.
-- A "disabled" base means no aircraft or vehicles are launchable, but guns can be manned, it can't be captured, and all of its associated buildings either become indestructible, or they just repair in 10 seconds.
-- A disabled base is highlighted on the clipboard map.
-- A country's closest current base to HQ/strats is never disabled by the algorithm.
-- At 200 players, a country gets 16 bases, and the rest are disabled.  It chooses the ones to keep in order of closest to enemy fields.  War is over if the country gets down to 4 bases.
-- At 100 players, a country gets 8 bases.  War is over if they get down to 2 bases.
-- At 50 players, a country gets 4 bases.  War is over if they get down to 1 base.

These gradiations could be terribly gamed by changing the inflight numbers, i.e. huge squads/missions simply upping or landing as necessary when total numbers are near any such a gradient.
That would take a dimension to the battle I personally would not be very fond off
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:18 PM »
Well... I tried   :(

:cry
HiTech

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
Well... I tried   :(

:cry

Better to have tried and fail, then to never have tried.

:salute

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:50 PM »

These gradiations could be terribly gamed by changing the inflight numbers, i.e. huge squads/missions simply upping or landing as necessary when total numbers are near any such a gradient.
That would take a dimension to the battle I personally would not be very fond off

True.  But anything can be gamed.  Huge squads can game it now by logging in late at night and rolling up bases with a series of milk runs in the hinterlands.

There is always leaving it the way it is -- but what's better than that?  How can the playable map area be scaled according to number in flight?