Author Topic: Dauntless SBD-5 DGP-1 gun pods.  (Read 7340 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Dauntless SBD-5 DGP-1 gun pods.
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »
I guess this was an option that was not used a lot.
Still would be a nice addition. :aok

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Dauntless SBD-5 DGP-1 gun pods.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:54:57 PM »
I guess this was an option that was not used a lot.
Still would be a nice addition. :aok

+1   :aok :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:13:44 PM »
+1 yes please
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:39:17 PM »
Question is: How common was the pod?

If it was a rare loadout as indicated in the picture, it will likely end up heavily restricted, if used at all, in scenarios and FSO. And it's certainly not going to make the Dauntless see any more use in the Mains than it does already. The increased firepower certainly won't offset the loss of performance (the SBD is already fairly underpowered as it is, now you're adding extra weight and drag), and it you want a dive bomber with six Brownings off the carrier, you've already got the F4U-1D and F6F-5, both of which carry a much heavier ordinance load, combined with much better fighting ability once ordinance is dropped. I could see it getting heavy use in Early War (Mid War still gives you the F4U-1, which provides much the same punch as a 6-gun Dauntless but with much better performance) but that's about it.

It might be a nice option to have for whenever the SBD gets remodeled, but it should really be low on the priority list. And certainly a perked ordinance option for the rarity.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »

If it was a rare loadout as indicated in the picture, it will likely end up heavily restricted, if used at all, in scenarios and FSO. And it's certainly not going to make the Dauntless see any more use in the Mains than it does already. The increased firepower certainly won't offset the loss of performance (the SBD is already fairly underpowered as it is, now you're adding extra weight and drag), and it you want a dive bomber with six Brownings off the carrier, you've already got the F4U-1D and F6F-5, both of which carry a much heavier ordinance load, combined with much better fighting ability once ordinance is dropped. I could see it getting heavy use in Early War (Mid War still gives you the F4U-1, which provides much the same punch as a 6-gun Dauntless but with much better performance) but that's about it.

It might be a nice option to have for whenever the SBD gets remodeled, but it should really be low on the priority list. And certainly a perked ordinance option for the rarity.

According to this article that appeared in the Naval Aviation News, it wasn't used very often at all and rockets were most often used.  I guess maybe the experiments with the gun pods found that the rockets were more effective than the .50 caliber gun pods.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:25 PM »
According to this article that appeared in the Naval Aviation News, it wasn't used very often at all and rockets were most often used.  I guess maybe the experiments with the gun pods found that the rockets were more effective than the .50 caliber gun pods.

ack-ack

Guess it depends on what books you read in regards to rockets.

Plus it says the pods did see combat not just experimental.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:25:16 PM »

Valid question. :aok
Better question yet is how many rounds could it hold? What is the rate of fire for these things?
Unable to find much about them yet. Without some known basics of these pods I would say not much HTC can do without some facts about them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:54:41 PM by lyric1 »

Offline sparky1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
+1

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
Found a little more on the pods.
Wish I could read that plate on the side of the ammo box. :cry

Based off of the photo I wonder if the TBM used them other than testing?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
The plot thickens also in service in the ETO. :rock

http://www.fold3.com/document/32443843/

Interestingly with the 36th BOMB SQUADRON RCM as a formation plane for the radar jamming bombers. :headscratch: Have to wonder why it was carrying these pods as a formation plane?

http://36rcm.com/history/history.htm

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
Interesting, and thanks for the pics Lyric. Maybe the stang w/ pods was to shoot up damaged ecm bombers to avoid having the Germans discover the tech?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
Interesting, and thanks for the pics Lyric. Maybe the stang w/ pods was to shoot up damaged ecm bombers to avoid having the Germans discover the tech?

Not sure what the pony is about the link says it was a squadron hack on the 36TH bomb squadron rcm. Why would you put gun pods on a squadron hack? Your answer is a good possibility I did not know of formation planes flying to target though. I was thinking that since it was a squadron hack the original 4 guns had been removed & the gun ports sealed over.

Then since this bomb squadron did the work they did at night maybe some German night fighters came across the channel  looking for them while they were forming up. If so they decided to arm up the pony with these gun pods just so they could defend the bombers while forming. Would kind of like to know for sure on this just to see how common these pods actually were in WWII.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
SB2C as well. :aok

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
SB2C; yes please. It had 20s