Author Topic: Diving bomber-drone Tactic?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Diving bomber-drone Tactic?
« on: December 23, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »
I have seen this tactic a few times and have wondered how it works.  Best I can tell you dive the bomber you are in nearly straight down leaving the drones behind due to the sharp dive. The fighter follows you down. At the right moment, you jump planes back to the drones you left behind with the sharp dive you made.  The bomber the fighter was chasing disappears and the remaining drones continues on high above the diving fighter.

Is this the way it works?

The counter to this I would think is not to instinctively follow the diving bomber and bang away at the drones.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: Diving bomber-drone Tactic?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
Some of the tactics I see in here with bombers are not realistic, in the
manner that the pilots fly the plane. Some maneuvers are outright ridiculous :aok
Especially some I see the Lancs doing. I know HTC models planes as close to realistic
as they can, however I can't see Lancs doing loops or rolls in reality.
I can't see diving the Lanc straight down from 15-20k, bombing and pulling up from 3k
without auguring or ripping wings off.

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »
Some of the tactics I see in here with bombers are not realistic, in the
manner that the pilots fly the plane. Some maneuvers are outright ridiculous :aok
Especially some I see the Lancs doing. I know HTC models planes as close to realistic
as they can, however I can't see Lancs doing loops or rolls in reality.
I can't see diving the Lanc straight down from 15-20k, bombing and pulling up from 3k

:cheers: Oz
You will inevitably get all kinds of justifications, primarily if you can do it in the game, it's "legal". I agree, bombers didn't dogfight like fighters in RL.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »

I never ever have seen anything like that in my 8 years of bomber hunting in the MA. Never.
 I agree, bombers didn't dogfight like fighters in RL.
[/quote]

And few bombers are capable of "dogfighting like fighters" in AH. But in RL, they used very radical maneuvers as well, which I#m almost sure would easily been called "unrealistic" here in a heartbeat. See the Lancaster Corkscrew Maneuver:

How to:

1. The pilot (originally cruising at 200-225 mph) opens his throttle and banks at 45 degrees to make a diving turn to port (because the enemy aircraft is on the port, reverse the maneuver if enemy is on starboard.); descending through 1,000 ft in six seconds, the bomber reaches a speed of nearly 300 mph. After the 1,000 ft descent, the pilot pulls the aircraft into a climb, still turning to port.

3. He reverse the turn, halfway through the climb which has caused his speed to fall sharply, possibly forcing the attacking night fighter to overshoot.

4. Regaining his original altitude, with speed down to 185 mph and still in the starboard turn, the pilot pushes the aircraft down into another dive.

5. Picking up speed in the dive, he descends through 500 ft before reversing the direction of the turn.

6. If the fighter is still on his tail, he stand by to repeat the maneuver. The physical effort required by the pilot has been compared with that of an oarsman pulling hard in a boat race.

I want to add that our fighters also do a lot of things that "had not been done in real life", at least not to the extend they are doing it in here. Some due to modeling, some due to different combat environment and most because we don't put our lives in jeopardy and have thousands of hours practicing "the impossible".

Now for the OP:
The fighter follows you down. At the right moment, you jump planes back to the drones you left behind with the sharp dive you made.  The bomber the fighter was chasing disappears and the remaining drones continues on high above the diving fighter.

Is this the way it works?

If that really works it's IMHO a topic for the bug report section.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »
Happened against me twice in last week.

EDIT: on one of the encounters I was able to get one bomber. After that just not enough E to adjust or catch up. I figured the bomber pilot was laughing at me the entire time. Let's start tracking/filming these "pilots".
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:29:46 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

I never ever have seen anything like that in my 8 years of bomber hunting in the MA. Never.

. . .

Now for the OP:
If that really works it's IMHO a topic for the bug report section.

I have seen it twice that I can remember Lusche.  May be just one person that uses the tactic.  Slade might have caught the name I did not.  Quite a good tactic if the fighter takes the bait like I did.
Timing would seem to be the key.

I use to work for a veteran WW2 B17 pilot.  He wasn't sure but he thinks he is the only one to roll a B17 albeit not intentional.  If I remember right he said  one wing's ice boot suddenly deflated.  By the time they realized what had happened, it was easier to finish roll although terrifying he said.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
   They have made the wings rip off easier on lancs if you pull too hard.  :eek:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
I have seen it twice that I can remember Lusche. 

Don't tell me, let me guess

You've seen it at least twice

But you don't have any film

Right?

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
nobody would ever exaggerate.. nah..

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
I have seen it twice that I can remember Lusche.  May be just one person that uses the tactic. 

He must do magic. Take a Lanc with 25% fuel and bombs still aboard and up it from the 20K field in the TA. Then dive it "straight down" from 15K-20K and see what happens :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

He must do magic. Take a Lanc with 25% fuel and bombs still aboard and up it from the 20K field in the TA. Then dive it "straight down" from 15K-20K and see what happens :)

No, there is no magic, or hack or cheat or bug.  This guy is just gaming the game and appears legal to me.  The diving bomber must break contact with the drones but not long enough for the two to become lost drones.  Yes, that is the whole point, the plane that dives is lost but in doing so you pulled away the threat on the other two.  I have no idea if they were still loaded or not.  I suspect the one yesterday was empty.  The diving plane will only disappear as a lost drone I would guess, if it had no damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »
No, there is no magic, or hack or cheat or bug.  This guy is just gaming the game and appears legal to me.  The diving bomber must break contact with the drones but not long enough for the two to become lost drones. 

I think  we are speaking about two different things now ;)

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I've seen this tactic and its horribly annoying, the lead buff does some kind of dive and the drones "glitch" around, while the main bomber is lost (dunno if you have to rip a wing off to do this or what) the drones are pretty hard to shoot at, often "Warping" around - I once ran a 262 into Ju88s because of this.

Its not common, but its a tactic ive seen exploited a few times. I think if the lead bomber goes down like this, so do the drones.
JG 52

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
I've seen what Randy is describing as well.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 03:51:45 PM »
There you go. Some more folks that have seen the move.

What happens scoring wise to the bomber pilot when you loose a drone by separation without damage?