Author Topic: 1.KG4 5J+GH  (Read 808 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
1.KG4 5J+GH
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »
Thanks to lyric1 for finding the information for this skin. I originally thought it featured a desert camo pattern but research showed that the plane never served with these colors (if it did, it seems the records were destroyed).

The skin still needs a bit of minor work before I submit it, I was just looking for a bit of feed back on what I've got so far.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: 1.KG4 5J+GH
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »
 :O  :cheers:
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:26:56 AM »
BOING!

Very nice!   :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:18:29 AM »
Nice so far.  :aok

Let me help you make the scheme even better:
Your black is too stark and your white is too bright on the markings. Make a new layer directly above your underside black paint and copy the underside black into it (yes there should be two identical layers). Next, invert the color value of the top black layer so it becomes white, then reduce the opacity to about 10%. What you should see is a believably faded balck, not pure black. For you markings (not sure if you separate colors from black/white, but I'll assume one layer for all markings to keep it simple.) create another new layer directly above your markings layer, and copy the markings into it. If you have colors you need to make the new layer black and white (gimp calls this process "desaturate") Next invert the colors so that black becomes white and vice-versa. Reduce opacity to near 10%. Finally, over the top of all you layes that represent paint on the aircraft you want to add a layer (or two) of noise to give the paint some texture and blend your colors together. These layers need only to be about 3-4% opaque each.

Also, your panel line wear looks strange. For this scheme, I'd use a medium brown shade (ie lighter than the black, but darker than your grays). Make a new layer, placing it below your panel lines and rivet layers. Using your spray tool select a brish width of about 8 pixels and trace over the panel lines and rivet lines, go heavier over the panel lines. These dont need to be perfectly strait lines, a little variation lelps to break up the pattern, and make the weathering believable. Once finished, reduce opacty to 20%

You can see results of these techniques clearly on my 190A-5. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,358304.0.html

Good luck.  :cheers:
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com