Author Topic: Air and ground units during Stalingrad?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
Air and ground units during Stalingrad?
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:45 PM »
I'm trying to put together a list of all the air and ground units that fought in the battle of Stalingrad including what aircraft/vehicles they used. I'm mainly interested in the units that flew and drove aircraft and vehicles that we have in AHII. Any input would be very appreciated. Thank you.  :salute
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Air and ground units during Stalingrad?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
Larry...as in Truekill...?

-oldman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:39:15 PM »
Yes sir, the one and only.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:43:41 PM »
Have we ever had a major Stalingrad event? Or if a later battle would rather be re enacted "Operation Bagration" which destroyed the German army group center and liberated Minsk in June of '44. That one would probably be even more interesting cause so many of the LW vehicles we have modeled were there and Bagration was a very major battle. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt the biggest in the entire war.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »
A good starting point is often Wikipedia.  They have units listed for OOB, then you'll have to dig into what was in the unit if you go this route.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
I think he means air units and ground units, not air and ground units.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
That would be an air-and-ground unit.  ;)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what planes I need to skin and from what units they are from so I can have some custom default skins when I finish up with this...

JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:29:49 AM »
I'm trying to put together a list of all the air and ground units that fought in the battle of Stalingrad including what aircraft/vehicles they used. I'm mainly interested in the units that flew and drove aircraft and vehicles that we have in AHII. Any input would be very appreciated. Thank you.  :salute

It's a hard job especially for getting VVS info.
You have to take into account that battle effectively continued from August 1942 till January 1943.
Both sides suffered from heavy losses and received reinforcements so their quantity/quality numbers changed all the time. You may need to setup a time frames for battles representing the most important parts of it.
Previously it was very hard to get detailed info about the battle from VVS side. Fortunately a quite good book was written recently by Vladimir Ratkin who collected tons of materials about the air battle (and ground battle as well). You may need to download this book.

http://www.industrygear.com.au/temp/Ratkin_Stalingrad.pdf

Though it is written in russian there are lot of interesting photos and in the end of the book you'll find the exact info you needed - profiles of the planes and the tables of data about VVS squads/planes/losses/time frames. I extracted and put this info (only for fighters otherwise it's too big) from the book below as an example:

#IAP, Division, Plane type, Losses, Activity in: July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 03:46:34 AM »
What is actually interesting that there are almost no Land lease planes. Most of them Yak1, Kay-7B, Some La-5 and LaGG-3, I-16 amd I-153 and only 2 entries for P-40 and 4 hurricanes.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:12:35 AM »

It's a hard job especially for getting VVS info.
You have to take into account that battle effectively continued from August 1942 till January 1943.
Both sides suffered from heavy losses and received reinforcements so their quantity/quality numbers changed all the time. You may need to setup a time frames for battles representing the most important parts of it.
Previously it was very hard to get detailed info about the battle from VVS side. Fortunately a quite good book was written recently by Vladimir Ratkin who collected tons of materials about the air battle (and ground battle as well). You may need to download this book.

http://www.industrygear.com.au/temp/Ratkin_Stalingrad.pdf

Though it is written in russian there are lot of interesting photos and in the end of the book you'll find the exact info you needed - profiles of the planes and the tables of data about VVS squads/planes/losses/time frames. I extracted and put this info (only for fighters otherwise it's too big) from the book below as an example:

#IAP, Division, Plane type, Losses, Activity in: July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan

(Image removed from quote.)

Fabulous find, and thank you very much for the post.  :aok

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »
aper, many thanks for the link. :aok :aok :aok

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
Larry skinning with bumpmap and spec mapping? This will be good

What is actually interesting that there are almost no Land lease planes. Most of them Yak1, Kay-7B, Some La-5 and LaGG-3, I-16 amd I-153 and only 2 entries for P-40 and 4 hurricanes.

Is that what's interesting, or the fact that the player base has continually excused the insane lack of Soviet aircraft, and that HTC has alienated what seems to be the second largest market in the world of combat flight sims, because 'they just used American planes'? Because the latter is what's interesting to me.

The later on in the book is a chart showing bombers, with 5 regiments of domestic bomber outfits (mainly Пе-2) (which Aces High still doesn't have) for every 1 regiment of lend-lease bombers (Bostons)(No B-25s).

The other thing about this list is that it shows, even with the inclusion of the И-16 and Як-7Б, just how overwhelmingly lacking and thin the Soviet planeset is. We can see here especially that the Як-1 (and its contemporaries) stayed in widespread service well into 1943. Even И-153s, at Stalingrad! These are aircraft (less the И-153) this game is just really inexcusably lacking.

(now that I think of it, before a couple of years ago, precisely none of the domestic fighters on this list were in game-- the closest that was there would be substituting the La-5FN for the La-5)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:08:24 AM by Motherland »

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.