Author Topic: Permanent Squelch needed  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
Permanent Squelch needed
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »
Title says it all. I would spend 10,000 perk points for just one use of this command for well-known habitual pm'ing offender that goes into retard-rage mode every time I kill him. PM's a wall of text. Accuses me of cheating, slow connection, rook tanks have better armor than bish tanks, etc. The guy is an idiot. And I know that I'm not the only one. This player has a reputation for this behavior. Reported chat, emailed HTC, squelch squelch squelch etc. NO EFFECT. 5 years playing this game and nobody else is like this guy. Now if there is a script that can run automatically on startup that would be fine, but I logon/off many times during the day (I don't hang around in the tower) and I'll be DAMNED if I have to squelch the SOB every time I logon.

HiTech, Skuzzy: give us this power. In searching past threads I have seen arguments for and against a Permanent Squelch command. The only 2 that I see against is: 1. the player might "smarten up" and change his ways and 2. the player quits his subscription and a new subscriber picks up the old handle. Well, 1. is not going to happen, ever. Not with this particular player. And 2. seems like a code solution like name drops off permasquelch list when account is ended etc. The biggest argument for is that its mere existence would act as a deterrence to curb outrageous PMing. Obviously, HTC existing tools are ineffective.

<S> - Hetzer

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Permanent Squelch needed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
This is probably one of the oldest, repeated wishes out there.  I have seen it so many times since I subscribed in 1999.  It boils down to people are too lazy to squelch those they want or simply can't ignore them in the text bar.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
This is probably one of the oldest, repeated wishes out there.  I have seen it so many times since I subscribed in 1999.  It boils down to people are too lazy to squelch those they want or simply can't ignore them in the text bar.

Sir, if this is one of the most requested wishes out there, well "if ten men tell you you're drunk, you better lay down". Im not lazy, and it's a WALL OF TEXT, impossible to ignore. not one or two lines, which i usually just respond to  with an <S>.

I'd really like to see HiTech's or Skuzzy's view on the subject.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
You should email them. Know where to find their addresses?  If not, support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,357752.msg4742825/topicseen.html#msg4742825

Looks like it about catches it.  I'd love the feature as well.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
You should email them. Know where to find their addresses?  If not, support@hitechcreations.com

Yes sir: I have before for the same player (a few months ago), but I didn't request specifically a permanent squelch, not knowing that was possible. I just reported it to the support email address and said "I leave it in your hands" for them to deal with.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,357752.msg4742825/topicseen.html#msg4742825

Looks like it about catches it.  I'd love the feature as well.

Wiley.

Thanks Wiley for the link. from that link:

"The only issue is does the squelch remain in place from day to day. I view it as if someone is causing enough issues that many people thing he should be squelched for ever, then I don't even want that person in the game. Hence perma squelch would be used more as an excuse for bad behavior (well if you don't like what I say just squelch me forever) then it would be a good thing. - HiTech"

Disagree with Hitech's logic. The player is already pm'ing stuff "we don't like" (to put it mildly) so how can the existence of perma-squelch enable bad behavior which is already occurring? I believe PermaSquelch would act as a deterrent, if anything. at least it gives players the proper tool to cut-off desired communication.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:27:21 PM by Hetzer7 »

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
Oh man, I'd love to see screen shots of this. I envision it being something like this:

"YOO CHICKEN*&%^ *&*%$ MOTHER^$%&#@! Yoo Make me so AGGRY I WILL KILL yoo DUUUUH! Pound Yore SKULL"

Come on, don't leave me hanging. Come across with the screenie. Retards on a rage rampage are cheap entertainment. You can black out the callsign.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
This wish will never happen. Take screenshots and record it, mail to skuzzy. It does get frustrating, I know a few people that would get a life time perm squelch themselves if Skuzzy actually decided it was time to do something about it, however most players have a bad night and ramble on, just squelch.

if it happens, mail off the text and get the last laugh.

JG 52

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:17:27 PM »
Oh man, I'd love to see screen shots of this. I envision it being something like this:

"YOO CHICKEN*&%^ *&*%$ MOTHER^$%&#@! Yoo Make me so AGGRY I WILL KILL yoo DUUUUH! Pound Yore SKULL"

Come on, don't leave me hanging. Come across with the screenie. Retards on a rage rampage are cheap entertainment. You can black out the callsign.

I wish I would have had the foresight to do that. Of course I "Reported Player Chat" I figured that HTC could review the log, figuring that would be enough but now I question what exactly Report Player Chat does, or what HTC reviews, if anything.

Its not just a one time thing, this player sends a wall of BS text every time he gets killed to whomever kills him, has a famously bad rep with all the Rook GVers (I imagine with the Knight GVers as well). In fact, whenever someone on vox says "***** down" some else says "oh oh, here comes the wall of text" or "5 lines of PM" or similar. Its ridiculous and I for one am tired of dealing with it.

Offline Hetzer7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:14 PM »
This wish will never happen. Take screenshots and record it, mail to skuzzy. It does get frustrating, I know a few people that would get a life time perm squelch themselves if Skuzzy actually decided it was time to do something about it, however most players have a bad night and ramble on, just squelch.

I will do that (screenshots) and I have emailed support before. I guess Report Player Chat does nothing if HTC requires screenshots. I don't understand why it would never happen. I understand having a bad night or getting shot down in the middle of an intense furball, or getting your GV bombed with no warning etc. Its happened to me many times and yet I have never PMed the killer afterward. Its a GAME after all. As I have stated before I have received many one liners but I usually <S> or ignore those. No, this guy is a habitual offender and his PMs are way over the top. Obviously the existing tools are inadequate.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
It's not going to happen, HiTech has already stated so.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
I will do that (screenshots) and I have emailed support before. I guess Report Player Chat does nothing if HTC requires screenshots. I don't understand why it would never happen. I understand having a bad night or getting shot down in the middle of an intense furball, or getting your GV bombed with no warning etc. Its happened to me many times and yet I have never PMed the killer afterward. Its a GAME after all. As I have stated before I have received many one liners but I usually <S> or ignore those. No, this guy is a habitual offender and his PMs are way over the top. Obviously the existing tools are inadequate.

Always leave films on, even if its an innocent flight - you can go back and delete the films that don't mean anything. Just remember if you are going to film, don't screw yourself by trashing him back. I know a few specific Habitual offenders myself, I know I could resubscribe right now, look at the map and figure out where a said person woudl be camping with a tiger - up a plane to bomb him, just to get 20 minutes of ranting.

Just film and Salute, let them dig themselves a hole. eventually they get a 7 day squelch.
JG 52

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
You have to admit he's fun to get though.  :D  For whatever reason I've only been PM'd once by him with accusations even though we run into each other all the time.  I rarely squelch anyone and when I do, its usually a countryman that has imbibed a bit too much or a just jabbering non stop.
AMAX  in game

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »

No need to take a screenshot and email it.  Use the ".report player_name" command and it will save the information so we can review it, if need be.  If it is a PM, then please report the player and simply drop us a bulletin board PM, or email about it.

Always leave films on, even if its an innocent flight - you can go back and delete the films that don't mean anything. Just remember if you are going to film, don't screw yourself by trashing him back. I know a few specific Habitual offenders myself, I know I could resubscribe right now, look at the map and figure out where a said person woudl be camping with a tiger - up a plane to bomb him, just to get 20 minutes of ranting.

Just film and Salute, let them dig themselves a hole. eventually they get a 7 day squelch.

Films are needed when the problem is VOX related.  Still, use the ".vreport player_name" to report VOX, if needed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com