Author Topic: Uniform Rule Code for the MA: A modest proposal.  (Read 4582 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Uniform Rule Code for the MA: A modest proposal.
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
I've noticed there is a lot of argument and discord coming out of the community because they can't seem to agree on a widely accepted and obeyed code of rules for the MA. This is unlike the DA, where everyone pretty much adheres to the "agreed upon alt, agreed upon planes, cold merge" code.  It is pretty close to anarchy out there, and apparently that is making a lot of players unhappy. So I've decided to address the three most common complaints with some sensible rules to address and a method for the enforcement of these rules.

1. HOing-This could be dealt with my modifying the game to make HOs ineffective, as in Air Warrior. Or the moderators could simply issue warnings for violations of a no-HOing rule, with account suspensions issued to repeat offenders (proven via film).

2. Picking/Ganging/Running-Currently in the MA, once can pretty much assume that if you are deeply committed to maneuvering with one bandit and a second one enters icon range, that second will try to kill you. And the third. And the fourth. Some people accept this as a reality and try to craft strategy and tactics around this fact, such as flying fast planes that can usually run away from outnumbered situations, even at the cost of maneuvering ability, or flying with mutual support. But apparently even more people in the game are very unhappy with all the ganging and picking going on. Fine. Henceforth any pair of planes, upon merging, will be allowed by all to fight it out with no outside interference, and extending more than 2.5K from the plane you are engaged with is forbidden, upon pain of the same penalties mentioned under 1.

3. Alt Monkeyiism-This problem is easily dealt with. Simply program an arena-wide 100mph downdraft starting at 10,000 feet. This will make climbing above that alt nearly impossible. This sort of thing has been done to create an altitude cap on FSOs before, it is already a function of the game.

I mean, come on, why not? This set of rules will be fair to all, and with some penalties in place a player will be able to reasonably expect that the red guys will also be obeying them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:39:23 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Uniform Rule Code for the MA: A modest proposal.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
I fly the 190 so the 'alt-monkey' thing is part of the envelope. I would embrace having crosswinds for the simple reason, it was part of real life. I would enjoy the challenge, I even like having layers. I'm not a real life pilot though I know from flying commercial at times we hit wind, etc at 10-12k then again 23k etc.

Maybe we have lateral wind of 30-50 knots above 17k, etc. The 100mph downsheer becomes a hard cap. Lateral means you will lose accuracy in the dive.

My first thoughts...
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
As long as I get to make all the rules I'm good with that.  :D

My proposal: Anything not explicitly forbidden by HTC is acceptable.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
You could have it all in one rule:

1. Anything that I don't like is forbidden.

:bolt:
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
As long as I get to make all the rules I'm good with that.  :D

My proposal: Anything not explicitly forbidden by HTC is acceptable.

:aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 04:09:19 PM »
You could have it all in one rule:

1. Anything that I don't like is forbidden.

:bolt:

I'm pretty okay with the current anarchy, but by the BBS posts it is apparently making a substantial percentage of the player base unhappy. I am also fine with the rule code I listed above, as long as I could reasonably expect most other players I meet to also follow it.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Well Dragon, does this mean you're in favor of HOing, gangin', pickin', runnin', and alt monkeyin'? ;)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
The people complaining about being killed in HO shots, being out numbered, or alt monkeys are just trying to make excuses for their deaths. They can't accept the fact that they made a mistake and that's what got them killed. It's a shame that this kind of mindset has become the norm in the MA.  :( If we were to ban any kind of shots then the 6 oclock position would make more sense as it's more difficult to avoid shots coming from your 6 than your 12. I can't really speak for out numbered situations other than I love them! If I could fight 5v1's where I was the 1 every day then I would never log off the game. Alt monkey's are easy to deal with as they are mostly all at 25K+. Just watch them auger in as they compress.  :devil

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »
I'm pretty okay with the current anarchy, but by the BBS posts it is apparently making a substantial percentage of the player base unhappy. I am also fine with the rule code I listed above, as long as I could reasonably expect most other players I meet to also follow it.

I haven't seen many threads complaining about HOing and the other things you don't like. But I have some time, so I'll go point by point.

1. HOing-This could be dealt with my modifying the game to make HOs ineffective, as in Air Warrior. Or the moderators could simply issue warnings for violations of a no-HOing rule, with account suspensions issued to repeat offenders (proven via film).

Fighters have their guns facing forwards. If you approach one head-on, or give it an angle it's your fault, not his. Head-ons are quite simple to evade, even in some bombers.

2. Picking/Ganging/Running-Currently in the MA, once can pretty much assume that if you are deeply committed to maneuvering with one bandit and a second one enters icon range, that second will try to kill you.

I really don't know what's wrong about that. Asking for a 1vs1 every time is not realistic, one side will always have more pilots in the air. Want a 1vs1? We have a DA.

3. Alt Monkeyiism-This problem is easily dealt with. Simply program an arena-wide 100mph downdraft starting at 10,000 feet.

So you want everybody to fly under 10K. Are heavy bombers also supposed to fly at a suicidal 10K?

By the way, I'm curious about what's the reason behind every rule, honestly.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
Noble effort BnZ. How do you plan to herd the cats? There's a lot of cats.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »
Well Dragon, does this mean you're in favor of HOing, gangin', pickin', runnin', and alt monkeyin'? ;)

I do all of those things myself depending on if it plays to my aircraft's strengths, the only thing I don't do is run. If someone is running from me in the first place, they probably really, really suck. I usually just do what I did to reverse them the first time since they fall for it over and over again.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
I respectfully disagree with this wish and would not like to see it implemented.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 04:19:07 PM »

By the way, I'm curious about what's the reason behind every rule, honestly.

These are the three things I see players on the BBS complaining about most. Apparently they make a lot of people unhappy, and accusations of such behavior cause a lot of discord. Therefore, I propose formally prohibiting them, just to see if THAT makes everyone happy.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »
These are the three things I see players on the BBS complaining about most. Apparently they make a lot of people unhappy, and accusations of such behavior cause a lot of discord. Therefore, I propose formally prohibiting them, just to see if THAT makes everyone happy.

I have never heard a complaint because someone was flying over 10K.

You're asking for the MA to become a giant DA with more restrictions.