Author Topic: big <S> to those F4F sticks  (Read 1478 times)

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
big <S> to those F4F sticks
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »
Guess I'll find out who they were when the logs come out.  If memory serves me  :old: our flight of four A6M2's engaged a group of seven to ten F4F's and it quickly became an all out brawl.  I ran out of cannon early on and dumped all my bb's saddled on two different allied pilots only to watch them soak 'em up like a sponge.  The fight seemed to go on forever and I ended up on the deck to find a swarm of TBM's coming right at me just feet off the water. I ditched and was eventually killed.  This was one of,if not the greatest fight I have had....EVER.  I was still amped up well after this engagement.  This fight had it all, enemy and friendly aircraft passing within inches of each other.  Tracers ,ripping past canopies and vox lighting up like a 911 switchboard with check six calls. To who ever you allied peelots were,  :salute I will remember this one for a long time.  :cheers:

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: big <S> to those F4F sticks
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
I'm thinking it was us; Charlie Flight, VF-6
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
I'm thinking it was us; Charlie Flight, VF-6

I know initially our lead(jeffdn) called five contacts co-alt and then four more trailing couple thousand feet lower and behind the lead group.  Don't know how long that fight lasted but it was worth every second.

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 07:08:41 PM »
That was us alright. I got 2 I believe but I think I was the one you lit the heck out if but thanks to that wildcats durability I made it home with only a few holes. Good shooting and you fellas got my heart rate up.
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"
I'll see you in Valhalla!

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »
One of you Zeke jockeys owes me for a new pair of elevators!  :furious Somehow I managed to get her down safely, though. I do love the toughness of the F4Fs - although the penalty to the climb rate from all that armor is not so fun!

That was a great fight.  :salute

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
I just couldn't believe it, I was parked so close behind one I could count the rivets and all I could do was plink away before I had to roll out as another F4F came screaming in  :bhead

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 08:07:14 PM »
Ammo put the bomber boys in zekes  :O

Ah so upset I had to miss this frame.
Top Gun

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
I just couldn't believe it, I was parked so close behind one I could count the rivets and all I could do was plink away before I had to roll out as another F4F came screaming in  :bhead

Yep almost positive that was me. It sounded like 1000 rounds hit me as I lost all my E. Had to kick rudder right to try and fall away safely.
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
Yep almost positive that was me. It sounded like 1000 rounds hit me as I lost all my E. Had to kick rudder right to try and fall away safely.

Yep that was you alright, I had to throttle way back to not overshoot.  Guess all I did was give you some cross ventilation  :confused:

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM »
Per Saburo Sakai:

"I had full confidence in my ability to destroy the Grumman and decided to finish off the enemy fighter with only my 7.7 mm machine guns. I turned the 20 mm cannon switch to the "off" position, and closed in. For some strange reason, even after I had poured about five or six hundred rounds of ammunition directly into the Grumman, the airplane did not fall, but kept on flying. I thought this very odd—it had never happened before—and closed the distance between the two airplanes until I could almost reach out and touch the Grumman. To my surprise, the Grumman's rudder and tail were torn to shreds, looking like an old torn piece of rag. With his plane in such condition, no wonder the pilot was unable to continue fighting! A Zero which had taken that many bullets would have been a ball of fire by now."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 08:29:14 PM »
I collided dropping to finish off a Zeke that was spinning out of control below me.   :frown:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »
Per Saburo Sakai:

"I had full confidence in my ability to destroy the Grumman and decided to finish off the enemy fighter with only my 7.7 mm machine guns. I turned the 20 mm cannon switch to the "off" position, and closed in. For some strange reason, even after I had poured about five or six hundred rounds of ammunition directly into the Grumman, the airplane did not fall, but kept on flying. I thought this very odd—it had never happened before—and closed the distance between the two airplanes until I could almost reach out and touch the Grumman. To my surprise, the Grumman's rudder and tail were torn to shreds, looking like an old torn piece of rag. With his plane in such condition, no wonder the pilot was unable to continue fighting! A Zero which had taken that many bullets would have been a ball of fire by now."

Talk about immersion.  That is almost word for word my encounter experience.

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
That really was a heck of a fight. I ran out of ammo I shot at so many targets.
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"

Offline bacon8tr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
That really was a heck of a fight. I ran out of ammo I shot at so many targets.

Bah!!!! Turns out me not killing you came back to haunt Me according to the logs.   :salute

Offline scarecrw

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 12:07:29 AM »
Yessir haha :salute ended up with 4 in that scuffle. I saw you racked up a couple as well. Beautiful flying. I need to watch the film now haha
"scarecrw"
12+-
JG5 "Eismeer"