Author Topic: How to catch "no darbar strat raiders"  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
How to catch "no darbar strat raiders"
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:45:28 PM »
Look, the AA factory is flashing, a NOE raider must be inbound:

And here he is about 1.5 minutes later, just before dropping on the factory:

Wait, 8.4k and no darbar? Yes, no darbar until he got in visual range. Obviously he had approach the factory NOE and then popped up, but it actually takes almost 4.5 minutes(!) to do that, all of this time without any darbar.

If you are an avid buff hunter strat defender, you will probably have run into this thing before, upping for suspected noe buffs then seeing them high above you (I ran into 15K 'NOE' B-24s before). Very often a few players spotted a darbar, while most others never did.
How does this happen? I don't know for sure, but it it's not always linked to offmap flying (see bug section about that).

What can you do about it? After accidentally getting this PM some time ago after a similar incident (.r feature has it's drawbacks ;) )

I found that relogging between sorties can really work. More than once I saw a darbar in region that had been totally empty before, while other players being in the arena for a long time still don't see any.

So to keep the playing field somewhat level, I recommend occasional relogging (unless, of course, you are not interested in strat defense anyway). I'm not sure if it works in all similar cases like this one (may be very different things causing it), but it definitely has unveiled the occasional 'invisible' bomber above NOE level.

Happy hunting, everybody  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: How to catch "no darbar strat raiders"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:03:31 AM »
SPIEZ! TARDZ! HAKKZORZ!
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:19 AM »
 :lol The epic "Snailman vs Havermyr" vendetta goes on.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:32:56 AM »
Not sure Snailman, but you could also read something else into that PM, such as they have discovered a repeatable bug and are keeping it under wraps to use it rather than report it and see it fixed.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
So it is a glitch that has been and still is "working"?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:36:36 AM »
:lol The epic "Snailman vs Havermyr" vendetta goes on.

What vendetta?  :huh

And I don't see any fun in this bug
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:48:30 AM by Lusche »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
So it is a glitch that has been and still is "working"?

The faulty radar bars have been reported a lot of times by a lot of people over at least 4 years. Of course it's difficult to catch something like this on film, as it doesn't show the clipboard and you are often simply surprised by a bomber or fighter suddenly showing up near you at tremendous alttudes without any darbar. Put the reports were plentiful and often quite detailed.

I have myself gotten reports by other players a few times that I suddenly appeared without dar. And while a lot of them very probably simply didn't watch the dadjacent sector darbar, I'm by now convinced that on the screen of some I really didn't made any. Though I don't know why.
I tenatively suspect two or three different reasons with the same result, but I really don't know.

The only fact I know for sure is that relogging between sorties can and will reveal planes that  fly over minimum darbar altitude and do not reveal any darbar for whatever reason.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 09:10:01 AM »
What is the standard setting of the radar refresh rate in the main arenas?  :headscratch:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
What is the standard setting of the radar refresh rate in the main arenas?  :headscratch:

RadarUpdateRate is set at 2.

So way shorter a fighter takes to climb to 20k. I also have seen friendly buffs making their way to a strat for two sectors, and when I asked them about their alt they said: 24k. It also doesn't explain bombers that do repeated passes over factories at seemingly NOE altitude, where the terrain would never had allowed this.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »
I suspect it is related to the issue where you run into one person at ground level and the next time you see them at altitude they will appear to be NOE again, but then they warp to their true altitude.

Sounds like it needs to be looked at, because as we can see from that PM it's being gamed now.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »
RadarUpdateRate is set at 2.

So way shorter a fighter takes to climb to 20k. I also have seen friendly buffs making their way to a strat for two sectors, and when I asked them about their alt they said: 24k. It also doesn't explain bombers that do repeated passes over factories at seemingly NOE altitude, where the terrain would never had allowed this.

CC.  Do you know what the sector counter altitude is set at? 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 10:34:32 AM »
Several of the 56th guys have witnessed enemy AC in a sector with no DARBAR.  We had a long discussion over vox trying to understand what was happening (bug or otherwise)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
What vendetta?  :huh

And I don't see any fun in this bug

U and Haver have met each other a lot in the skies right? He is a strat raider and u are the one that kills them.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
CC.  Do you know what the sector counter altitude is set at? 

250ft

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »
U and Haver have met each other a lot in the skies right? He is a strat raider and u are the one that kills them.

By that definition I would have a 'vendetta' with hundreds of players. ;)

I don't kill folks in AH for personal reasons. It's strictly business: Come after my factories, carriers or bases in bombers and I will try to shoot you.  On the other hand, there are lots of players that try to do the same to me.