Author Topic: Lowly War Thunder peasant immigrant  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Volsky

• Zinc Member
Lowly War Thunder peasant immigrant
« on: February 13, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »
Greets all! I'm a regular WT player (two years' experience in WT on 'full real' controls--basically as close to AH2 as you can get) that's considering making the jump to AH2; I have experience with the game from way back when that 'two weeks free promo' thing was going on, but I basically can't help asking--how far off is War Thunder as opposed to AH2? We constantly contend with the validity of FMs on the WT forums, and AH2 is one of the constant references that's pointed to when trying to determine the accuracy of any FM.

It's just issues such as the LaGG-3 series being able to cut inside of a 109 E, let alone Fs or Gs, the (as we've christened it) Hellfat shedding a full 150 mp/h of speed, or more, in a gentle turn, the Corsairs being about 2-300 horses short on power under the hood, or the Bearcats running on military power when using WEP. Obviously not particularly correct, but how far away from AH2, and from real life, is it?

In that vein, asking anyone with experience (its been a while since I've actually played AH2), how do the controls compare (in regards to their 'feel')? WT feels an awful lot like operating a flying marionette...

Many thanks!
  Vol

PS, pardon the Christmas-themed avatar. I'm signed up on my laptop so I didn't have my non-Christmas avatar on hand...

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Lowly War Thunder peasant immigrant
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:30:06 AM »
Greets all! I'm a regular WT player (two years' experience in WT on 'full real' controls--basically as close to AH2 as you can get) that's considering making the jump to AH2; I have experience with the game from way back when that 'two weeks free promo' thing was going on, but I basically can't help asking--how far off is War Thunder as opposed to AH2? We constantly contend with the validity of FMs on the WT forums, and AH2 is one of the constant references that's pointed to when trying to determine the accuracy of any FM.

It's just issues such as the LaGG-3 series being able to cut inside of a 109 E, let alone Fs or Gs, the (as we've christened it) Hellfat shedding a full 150 mp/h of speed, or more, in a gentle turn, the Corsairs being about 2-300 horses short on power under the hood, or the Bearcats running on military power when using WEP. Obviously not particularly correct, but how far away from AH2, and from real life, is it?

In that vein, asking anyone with experience (its been a while since I've actually played AH2), how do the controls compare (in regards to their 'feel')? WT feels an awful lot like operating a flying marionette...

Many thanks!
  Vol

PS, pardon the Christmas-themed avatar. I'm signed up on my laptop so I didn't have my non-Christmas avatar on hand...

WT seems to have a FM skew that favors the Russian plane set.
See Rule #4

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 11:32:39 AM »
Greetings, Volsky !

While I personally have no experience of any sort with that... other... computer program you referred to, nearly all the comments about it that I have been able to find include the word "arcade."   ;)

Be forewarned:  Aces High is rather addictive, and also possessed of a leaning curve that is a... tad... steeper than what you might be familiar with.  I would suggest that you spend some time in the Training Arena with the good folks of the Training team.

Since your post indicates that you are interested in the more accurate end of the flight-sim spectrum, once you're feeling up to speed, I also suggest that you check out the Special Events.

And welcome!   :cheers:

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »
Volsky!  Come play with us sir.  Give yourself 3 months minimum to decide if this is for you.  We all here really believe in the modeling accuracy, but we will argue about everything including that.  This is a great place to play and have fun.  Like Bino said, get some training time and also join a squad.  Not only will you have guys helping you as they fly right next to you, but you get to experience the teamwork and camaraderie we enjoy here.  Get yourself involved in a squad that also does FS)'s.  Friday Squad Operations and immerse yourself in a massive battle based on the historical one's.  Come play AH Volsky, you've got to find out for yourself sir!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:57:44 AM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 12:02:51 PM »
The download is still free and you can install and fly off line as much as you'd like.  Test the flight models yourself.

Once on line an in the arenas getting the timing down for your maneuvers can be a bit frustrating,  but is well worth the time. 

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 12:09:38 PM »
I came to AH from Fighter Ace, playing mostly advanced and intermediate. It took some time to get used to AH, but it's been well worth the effort. The Planes set is very good, the FMs are incredible and the people, with some exceptions, are awesome. We have fun, we get frustrated  :joystick:, we rant :old:, we laugh :x :cheers:, we just all around have a great time. Come join us, you'll be hooked really quickly.

Note: if you have a significant other, be prepared for a generous amount of "ack" from them, because you'll find it hard to pull away from the game!  :devil
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Volsky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
I forgot to mention that I'm a meager music major (uni), so I basically have negative spare cash on hand. If memory serves AH2 is subscription-based?

Also, I think I've mastered or at least learned my ACMs. I take up my F4F-4 against 109 G-10s and K-4s for shiggles in WT...  :joystick:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:15:04 PM by Volsky »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »
Aces High sets the standard for flight simulation. It's nice that other games recognize that.  :aok

If you need help with anything just post a request in the help and training forum.

Here's a short film showing energy exchange, post departure gyrations and stall recovery. http://youtu.be/FzfsPKpCG4I
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:01:22 PM by FLS »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
Volsky, it is 50 cents per day.  the 15 bucks a month I spend has saved me thousands of dollars I might have spent on other entertainment.  Everything costs something, as entertainment value goes, I do not think it gets any better than this.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
Welcome to the big leagues.

Every plane has a strength and weakness and they all fly differently. You'll have a hard time fighting 109Ks in the F4F. I'd highly recommend using the F6F instead.

Good luck see you in the skies

<S>

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »
Volsky, one more thing:

If you're really keen to learn Air Combat Maneuvers, then you simply must get yourself a copy of The Book:

http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599/

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 01:20:41 PM »
Volsky!  Come play with us sir.  Give yourself 3 months minimum to decide if this is for you.  We all here really believe in the modeling accuracy, but we will argue about everything including that.  This is a great place to play and have fun.  Like Bino said, get some training time and also join a squad.  Not only will you have guys helping you as they fly right next to you, but you get to experience the teamwork and camaraderie we enjoy here.  Get yourself involved in a squad that also does FS)'s.  Friday Squad Operations and immerse yourself in a massive battle based on the historical one's.  Come play AH Volsky, you've got to find out for yourself sir!

Agreed with all of the above.  Good to have you with us, Volsky.

- oldman

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »
If you are looking for a flight game that gives you alot of WWII aircraft to choose from/fun easy mode aircraft operation, that still has a good learning curve/good fights and scenarios/and generally a good group of people....this is good bang for the buck....... :old:

If you are looking for a flight simulation that has cutting edge graphics and realistically models high performance aircraft operation in a WWII tactical environment...then this isn't it.....but then I'm not sure such a game exists out there :old:

....the bonus is that you also get sample some ground vehicle/ship/base defense guns action as well........... :old:

Overall it is a fun game to play and in my opinion worth the monthly fee........ :old:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:29:30 PM by Canspec »

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »
15 bucks a month is a small price to pay for one of the most challenging flight sims you will ever play. There's a learning curve to be sure, but there are also many pilots who are willing to teach you, starting with the trainers. I'm not a real life pilot, but this game does a very good job of modeling the "feel" of an aircraft, from the dump truck on steroids that is the P-47 to the whip-snap roll of the FW, to the light and responsive spit. You won't find a better WW II flight sim out there.

And yes, this is the big leagues of flight sim. Welcome aboard.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
I have flown in WT.....and been in AH 10 years or so now....

AH hands down is the better combat sim....

one thing you wont see in WT
each bomber set of 3...... is a player

another thing AH has is its outstanding view system...you can move your head around and save head positions...unless you use trakr which also works great in AH.

the community in AH is also outstanding...(of course there are always bad apples)

the FM is about as close to the real deal as you will find

not only WT have I played.... but I played all the WW2 games/sims

AH is where its at.

welcome home :salute