Author Topic: How To "Twitter"  (Read 614 times)

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
How To "Twitter"
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:31:40 AM »
I don't know if many of you read the sticky post at the top of forum sections but at the top of the General Discussion Forum Topic there is a sticky about a Twitter screenshot contest. (http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,370087.0.html)

I also don't know many of you who know how to "Twitter" or the proper term "Tweet" so I thought it would only be fair if I attempted to show the community the ropes of tweeting. I am sure many of you know what Twitter is just not sure how it works or what it is used for.

What is Twitter? (in dummy terms)
Twitter is basically a site where you type a post (much like posts on the aces high boards) regarding whatever you feel like posting about while using 140 characters or less.

How to register?
It is pretty simple, you go to Twitter.com. When you are on Twitter.com there will be a somewhat obvious "Sign Up" button. If you have Facebook you can use your facebook to register for Twitter. But if you use your Facebook everything you post on Twitter will go directly to Facebook as well as a bit.ly link.

Getting Started
If you go on your newly created Twitter there will be a box labeled "What's Happening". It should be on the top of your screen by default. You can change these settings and make it anywhere you please once you get more comfortable. When you click on this empty box it is basically like posting a Facebook Status Update. In the bottom of the box you have a couple options. One of the options being Location and Add Photo. Turning on location will do exactly what it says, post your current location with the tweet. I leave that off as I don't want people knowing my exact whereabouts. Anyways, if you click add photo it is just like adding a photo on the boards or on Facebook. You have the option for a link or uploading a picture from your desktop. There isn't a max file size for photos and if your photo is too large Twitter will automatically resize the photo without perishing photo quality.

Terminology
Terms you may need to know . . .

Tweet: simply posting an update in the "what's happening" box

Mentions: when you are mentioned there is someone actively attempting to communicate with you using your Twitter Username - when you are mentioning someone you're using the @ symbol (see below) to tag someone in a post. You can do this by simply typing the @ key and the name shortly after. It is similar to tagging someone in a Facebook post.

@: if when you're posting a new tweet you are trying to refer to a certain person, like I stated above, you can just throw in an @ symbol and proceed with the name.

Hashtag: Hashtags can be used for a couple different things. When you hashtag a subject it can be used to potentially make a "trending topic" for example during Super Bowl weekend you would hashtag #SuperBowl for your tweet to show up on the trending page. There are new trending topics every day.

I hope this helps a little with the confused ones, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Top Gun

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
Re: How To "Twitter"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:00:07 AM »
Nice write up!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:09:35 AM »
Here's the link explaining how to post your contest screenshots.

https://support.twitter.com/articles/20156423-how-to-include-pictures-in-tweets#

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Thanks Ghost! That's a better explanation than those I could find online.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:53:21 PM by BuckShot »
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »
 ha I have been using twitter for mostly sports chat and and info for a few years now. its a nice way to communicate with your favorite sports teams or local sports reporters . having AH on twitter will be something new.
  1 thing to keep in mind with twitter is you only can use 140 spaces or letters. the group or address  @AcesHighGame  is also using part of that 140 spaces ,links to videos also count in this 140 spaces along with hashtags #. the use of shortcuts  such as 4 instead of  "for" or   2 instead of "to"  is commonplace . abbreviations of words is also used a lot. in long tweets where you need more space it is common to use 1 -2 or 1 of 2 depending on how long your message is ( remember to leave space for this). here is a link  to common abbreviations and shortcuts. http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/Twitter_Dictionary_Guide.asp
 i am also willing to help with any questions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:37:39 PM by mikev »
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
Thanks fellas!  I'm going to be a Twitter newb, that has a daughter that probably helped write their dang code! :D
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
You're going to need to find AH's twitter account and pretty much follow everyone of their followers to get started quickly.

Else you'll be flying with HQ down, lol.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »
@crazycrazydaz, in case anyone was looking for me!  Lol :noid
Flying since tour 71.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »
@crazycrazydaz, in case anyone was looking for me!  Lol :noid
ha ha WWhiskey I may be new to AH and everybody calls me a noob  or the other hidden names  but in twitter due to my ability in fantasy football , has gotten me the name @THEGREATMOKO
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc