Author Topic: New Setup  (Read 1086 times)

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
New Setup
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
 Ok, got my new set up pretty much going. Added a 40 inch Samsung HD TV. Moved everything into a full tower. Got rid of the 10k raptor/7.2 HD's. Put my old SSD back in now I am getting 65-75 frames. Didn't really change anything but frames made a big jump from 35-40. So that's a bit of a surprise. Also AH is the only game on the computer.

Mentioned this in the game. Someone was saying that AH doesn't support SLI. And that there is no benefit to adding a second card. Was news to me. Never heard that before.

Full tower case
Win 7
Gigabyte 990 MB
3.5 mhz quad AMD CPU
16G Ram (1600mhz)
GTX 660 x2 video cards
SSD

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »
It's a rumor/myth that will not go away despite my many posts to the contrary.

To get SLI working in AH you need to go into Nvidia Control Panel under "Manage 3D Settings" and create a custom profile for AH. You do this by clicking the "Add" button (unless AH is already present in the list) on the "Program Settings tab and then browsing to the AcesHigh.exe to select it. Then modify the "SLI rendering mode" to use "Force alternate frame rendering 2" and SLI will activate for AH.

You can verify this by going to the Menu bar option under "3D Settings" and selecting "Show SLI visual indicator." This provides a HUD element that will be superimposed over the AH game, and you may then set your graphic options inside of AH to maximize SLI efficiency. The bar indicates SLI scaling and once you have the settings properly setup the SLI scaling should indicate somewhere near 95%. Even if the bar does not indicate much scaling you still have SLI active, so it is up to you to chose between a proper SLI scaling and FPS setting.

In the tower you will not get a proper scaling indication, so spawn out in the field somewhere to set your graphics options.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:58:25 AM »
 Thank you very much. Thought I was getting it already but will check. Because I have never done that on any of my setups.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 12:39:23 PM »
 Mine doesn't have the SLI rendering option. In the file tab I only have Phyx option, no SLI. I verified SLI in windows. Removed the second card. restarted computer with one card. shut down. Reinstalled without connector. Got the missing sli connector message in windows. Might be because I have win7 64 bit? Anyway, running good. good frame rates. Good screen in AH.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »
Make sure you have it activated in NCP:

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
 my screen has everything except the SLI. no SLI options. PhysX settings is set to Auto and shows PhysX> GTX 660(2) on the bottom

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
Can you take screenshots of "Manage3D settings" and "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" and share them here?

EDIT: OR you can run GPU-Z and test each card to see if one of the PCIe slots is set wrong, or only providing 4 lanes or something. All of the GPUs need to run at x8 or x16. Windows will read them as SLI if one is at x4, but it will not do SLI rendering.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:59:58 PM by Chalenge »

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:43 PM »
wont allow me to do that. Its the same screen as yours except where it says SLI. Mine says surround configuration

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »
 ok forgot about cpu z will run that

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Yeah, I suspect you don't have enough lanes to pull off SLI without removing a card somewhere, unless GPU-Z tells you everything is square the way it is.

Which MB are you using?

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »
I am using a gigabyte990FXA-UD3
 And CPU z is telling me that one of the cards is running at 324mhz and the other is at 549mhz and that they have different amounts of memory.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
GPUz,

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

At the bottom of the interface you can see the identities of the cards.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
I know this can be confusing. Here is the window when I run the program.

I have highlighted the bus interface information in red, and the card selection window in blue. The part of the bus interface information that you are interested in is the . . . @ x 16 1.1 part. Both of your cards should read either @ x 16, or @ x 8, or a combination of either. You will not have SLI if either slot reads @ x 4, or @ x 2, or @ x 1. Your MB does run SLI and should offer the lanes you require.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Make sure you are using these two slots:

Offline alskahawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
 Those are the slots I have the cards in. I will check them out by switching them to my other computer. Thanks